Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

'Mile a minute' growing as you watch...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

My neighbour has a 'mile as minute' climber growing along the fence...this year the neighbour has made little if no attempt to cut it back and I can only cut back what's in reach.

It's beginning to grow up the back of my house, is interferring with satalite reception and growing round the dish. I noticed today tenticles are growing round  my central heating vent. It's also partially covered his garage roof which looks to have a roof of concrete asbestos, I'm concerned the plant may break the roof panels.

We don't talk to each other and he is not reasonable, any suggestions as to what to do..he would know if I sprayed it with weed killer image so I'm thinking of complaining to the council.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Why not invest in one of those long reach cutters, twenty pounds from wickes, and just cut off the tentacles that are on your side? It won't affect what he has his side image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

How long reach are they I have some extending loppers which don't reach over the shed and this is where the worst of the growth is and where it's growing up the house.

It's actually more than tenticles I am talking heavy growth on the side of his house.  

Just looked up the name for you and it is called a telescopic tree pruner and is really light and easy to use.  I have had great fun with mine this summer as my neighbours grape vine was growing up onto  the electric pylon wires! 

Upto two and half metres image And more when i stand on steps image

• I have a neighbour who only has energy for making a fuss.  She flies into a tantrum if you say anything at all, screams and shouts and, indeed has threatened to 'dop me one' before now. I had pointed out that as she couldn't even be bothered to tie up her rubbish bags, it was all along the pavement.  Mind you, she would have been very surprised if she had tried to carry out her threat.  I'm old enough to be her grandmother but I doubt she could knock the skin off a rice pudding whilst I most certainly could.

• mollismollis Posts: 151

I inherited a monster! No neighbours  to worry about, but seems to me these plants should carry a Government Health Warning!!  I cut it all back and have used weed killer (something I don't do lightly!) It took several applications as the regrowth appeared, but I am almost there. If the roots do appear  under the fence of your property, dig them out asap. Cut back anything above ground that comes over your side.... Why can't all neighbours be nice? Good luck to you.

• Zoomer

if you do prune this climber on your side all the prunings are legally your neighbours property, so you must return them to him i.e. dump them over the fence.

• you could spray the bits growing on your property in the hopes it kills the plant?

I would recommend doing at night so you cant be seen, hopefully she'll just think it died on its own!

• Mile a minute covers a few climbing plants. Do you know exactly what climber it is? Anything on your side of the boundary can be cut back to that boundary as per the above.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Morning Zoomer,    please correctly identify the plant and come back if poss,a pic is good especially if its in flower as it looks like quite a few Mile a min stuff..The grey matter is awaiting ,,,image