Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

I am new to gardening so please excuse my ignorance!  I recently bought a mini greenhouse.  One of those cheap shelving units with a plastic zipped up cover.  I bought it for some cutting that I took last month from my parents garden.  I have no room indoors.  I have some buddleia, sedum, fuschia and hydrangea successfully rooted.  Anyway I am very keen to start plants from seed. My question is do I have to wait till next year to make use of the mini green house.  Are they pretty useless in the winter?  Are there perennials I could start now?  At the moment it is plants etc I am interested in, not veg.  I am dying to get started on a project!

much thanks

You can sow quite a lot of perennials now Asho. There are many that need to be cold in winter before they will germinate. Astrantia, aconitums. aquilegia, though I sow that in January now, still in an unheated GH though.

Have alook on here

It lists lots of seeds and when it's best to sow them. 

Also make sure it's fixed down well - you don't want all of your hard work destroyed by it being blown over (or away!) in a Winter storm.

Hi,Asho, i once had the same type of mini greenhouse.It got blown away continuously, in the end i packed it away, but im now thinking of using the plastic cover as a type of large cloche when the weather here in the 'desolate NW' worsens. good luck

thanks for the advice.  I will study that link and try and make a plan!

Good point Bob, I lost half of my seeds earlier this year due to poor siting in new garden (same cheapo GH).  Moved it to more sheltered position & doing fine.  They're cheap. but they do the job - with some hefty bricks on the bottom shelf!