6 messages
21/09/2013 at 13:46

Hi,

I am new to gardening so please excuse my ignorance!  I recently bought a mini greenhouse.  One of those cheap shelving units with a plastic zipped up cover.  I bought it for some cutting that I took last month from my parents garden.  I have no room indoors.  I have some buddleia, sedum, fuschia and hydrangea successfully rooted.  Anyway I am very keen to start plants from seed. My question is do I have to wait till next year to make use of the mini green house.  Are they pretty useless in the winter?  Are there perennials I could start now?  At the moment it is plants etc I am interested in, not veg.  I am dying to get started on a project!

much thanks

Ash

21/09/2013 at 13:54

You can sow quite a lot of perennials now Asho. There are many that need to be cold in winter before they will germinate. Astrantia, aconitums. aquilegia, though I sow that in January now, still in an unheated GH though.

Have alook on here

http://theseedsite.co.uk/germination.html

It lists lots of seeds and when it's best to sow them. 

21/09/2013 at 14:39

Also make sure it's fixed down well - you don't want all of your hard work destroyed by it being blown over (or away!) in a Winter storm.

21/09/2013 at 22:14

Hi,Asho, i once had the same type of mini greenhouse.It got blown away continuously, in the end i packed it away, but im now thinking of using the plastic cover as a type of large cloche when the weather here in the 'desolate NW' worsens. good luck

21/09/2013 at 22:17

thanks for the advice.  I will study that link and try and make a plan!

21/09/2013 at 22:20

Good point Bob, I lost half of my seeds earlier this year due to poor siting in new garden (same cheapo GH).  Moved it to more sheltered position & doing fine.  They're cheap. but they do the job - with some hefty bricks on the bottom shelf!

email image
6 messages