London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
5 messages
30/08/2013 at 18:25

I have a 4 year old sulcorebutta pulchra just under 2 inches high, which has 9 tiny babies and 1 "teenager".  I have done nothing with it since I had it except water it now and then.  I don't want it to die of neglect, so does anyone know if I should feed it?

30/08/2013 at 19:09

It sounds as though you are doing something right if it is producing babies!! I am afraid I don't know much about cacti but I have seen cacti food on sale in GC. I am thinking that spring would be the best time to feed... Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply 

30/08/2013 at 20:02

Hi Jacky, I have a rebutia, not sure of the exact type.  I put it on a sunny windowsill usually around April time and treat it like an average houseplant - water once a week, feed maybe once a month if I remember  with whatever plant food I have around, don't personally use a special cactus food (maybe I should)....

it gets moved into a cold east facing porch for the whole of the winter (around October) and doesn't get watered at all.  Has survived and flowered really well for the past 8 years or so.  It was tiny when I bought it and now it's only about 4 inches high and maybe 7 inches across.

30/08/2013 at 20:24

Hello Jacky,have several cacti I,treat them much the same as Paula,except I do water in the winter,but only sparingly every two/three weeks.I only feed once with baby bio in the summer.

31/08/2013 at 18:22

Thanks so much folks, I think I will feed it next year.   Perhaps it will have had more offspring by then.   Mine goes on the landing windowsill in my cold house for the winter with no water.  I know what it is because of the label!

email image
5 messages