Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Missed the bulb boat?

Hi everyone,

My excuse is i have just had my first baby so have not planted my spring bulbs! Is it too late to plant Dafs, Iris Ret, and tulips in the next week should i have a spare moment? Either in pots or in the ground (which today has a ground frost!) I fear i am but thought id ask your advice.

Thanks

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

I'd say go for it whenever you get the chance. They have more chance of flowering in the ground/pots than if you don't plant. I too still have bulbs to plant as my gardening has been interrupted by surgery on my ankle. Off to the hospital after lunch so hope all the bandages will be off and I can put some shoes on! At least then I may be able to hobble out to the garden.

I think you've got a better excuse than me though. All the best with the new baby. They are very time consuming!

• No, you have still got time. The daffs need to go in first as they have the longest growing period, then the iris and then the tulips. I once bought some tulips in a sell off in January and they still came up and flowered! Pots are fine, you can always sink them in the borders later, where you would have put them. Makes them easy to lift too, if you need to!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Tulips (it is said) don't go in till November anyway.  I planted some in September, when I did the daffs, as they had to go underneath, so we'll see what they get up to.

Have you introduced the newcomer to gardening yet?image

Congratulations anyway image

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Hope not, planted some daffs, aliums and tulips today.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I've planted daffs in December before, with no problems. They'll just flower a bit later. Tulips are ideally planted just now anyway. They're all better popped in some compost in pots than just left to their own devices, as they'll get dried out.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

No philippa. Naughty step for you. You can say C'mas though. Less obvious.... image

• Great to hear there's still hope, thanks everyone. I think it probably will be Christmas day planting at this rate!

I certainly will be taking the little chap down the allotment and getting him grubby in the garden when he's ready, i cant wait. 

philippa image

Hope they grow well for you DD. Plants are often very forgiving of our lack of organisation. Mine certainly are... image

• Hi D.D. - Congratulations, and I agree with everyone else - go ahead and plant, they'll be fine.  You'll be glad you did when  spring comes around the corner.

• eileyeiley Posts: 2

If/when I run out of time imageI stick 'em in pots, let the roots form and then stick them in the ground on a mild/frost free day, when you do have time.  The roots help to keep them together for easier planting. They are after all winter plants.  All this is made worse as I garden on heavy clay and with all the rain we've had recently it is nigh on impossible to plant anythingimage