London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
7 messages
07/06/2013 at 23:24

Call me sad but i am missing spring and all the fun of sowing and pricking on etc. All has been set out and lout in final positions and tomato and veg all sorted too. Only think left is Astrantia seedlings from winter ripe seed just showing first true leaves. Also phone perennial lobelia my partner tipped on the lawn by accident and I tried to scoop up, I'm seeing tiny plants coming, no idea if they will last the season or what to do with them.?!??,

but what next, not enough weeding  or tasks to keep me occupied! When do people start off their winter bedding and winter interest for borders! Ideas.... Thanks

08/06/2013 at 00:27

its now the time to start seeing all your efforts coming to fruition, to assess what you can do better next time, to enjoy what you have created, to visualise just how good your garden will be in high summer, and yes the weeding will continue, the dead heading will need doing, the grass to be mown, plants to be chopped back to encourage further flowers.....it aint over yet; its just starting

08/06/2013 at 07:44

And planning - soon time to start looking at the bulb catalogues 

08/06/2013 at 08:54

Gardening is not really a spectator sport, but if you have the time, as wise Verdun says, enjoy what you have created and do the maintenance. In even the best kept garden there is always a little 'housework' to be done; I find I don't notice the black buckets and bamboos lying around and the odd weed that has been pulled up and left to languish on the gravel, until I sit down with a cup of tea to relax.

09/06/2013 at 15:27

Much to my partners dismay I have been buying perennials so looks like more of the lawn must go!!!

09/06/2013 at 19:01

I do know what you mean Red, I've been sowing some biennuals for next year, should grow enough to plant out late summer/early autumn. All the fun of sowing and then potting up Even sowed some easy quick growing annuals yesterday, probably a bit optimistic but you never know ..............

09/06/2013 at 19:12

red dahlia, if you are missing propagating etc., why not split those perennials you have bought and pot up or plan out the separated pieces?.  thats something I do about now. just done hemerocallis, cannas, pulmonarias and rudbekias. 

email image
7 messages