London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
181 to 200 of 1,728 messages
01/03/2013 at 23:26

I understand what you mean Bunny. I kind of went off on a rant there in my own direction  

01/03/2013 at 23:28

As you say, Bunny, beliefs about class differ and I quite agree that character, not class, is what matters. To be proud of your origins and to value what you learn is a great asset in life, whatever your class. I have a 'posh' daughter in law who had a privileged upbringing from wonderful parents and she is proud of that, too. She married my 'working class educated' son and loves him to bits. Upper crust people and 'working class' people are both capable of rudeness - they tend to do it in different ways, that's all.

What really unites us on this forum is that we are gardeners and here this surmounts every other difference of class and creed. We will be kind and respectful to each other. I really appreciate the peolple I've been in contact with on this forumand have personal experience of Sam's generosity and grace. Rants are fine as long as we keep our sense of humour and mutual respect.

01/03/2013 at 23:34
I know you do Sam , that's why I spoke up.. knew you were being all ranty passionate nothing up with that.

There are many traits of differences even in a family OHs espeshially from one end of spectrum to other (high amusement to us of those who believe they are 'royalty' of the higher class standard ..we can move on but don't forget who you really are, it's what makes you who you are..
I'm me
01/03/2013 at 23:37

I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful at all and if I have, I apologise. I used to be married to a millionaire and he was always telling me I was of a lower class than him. Used to really upset me. Hence, I'm divorced now lol. 

01/03/2013 at 23:39

My laptop seems to be running very slow lol. Bunny, your a mad march hare Its a wonderful trait and never loose it.

01/03/2013 at 23:40
You wernt being Sam ... I knew what you meant , you've been tainted by your past , would you react the same without having been treated that way by ex ? Doubt it
Your a good heart ...and better off without the ex by sounds of it
Chin up .
01/03/2013 at 23:42

Thankyou. Yer a wee hunni bunni lol

01/03/2013 at 23:43
Haha except I'm a December girl really .....bunny ..long story ...a bunny lived in our garden once ...that's when I joined GW years ago, never used forum til recently .. Bunny name stuck ...not really a rabbit
01/03/2013 at 23:43
ya only over the wee border il forgive
01/03/2013 at 23:45

Aye, just below Stirling.

01/03/2013 at 23:46
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Much younger I should think, Rosa. My father would be 104 now!

Enjoyed the story, Frank, and certainly agree with you about the dazzling good looks. Mind you, someone on another thread admired my 'gorgeous' dogs today but did not apply the same term to their owner!!! Please do not comment on this - you'd have to lie!

Fear Ye not G/G I was brought up to be a gentleman, my Father told me as a lad, there are no Birds, Bits of fluff, Bints, tarts or (here is where I am not sure what he said) was it "yours or ours", matters not, they are he said "All ladies from the youngest to the oldest, treat them as such and you will never go wrong" dad knew best.
In our village living just off the Green with Doctors Lawyers and such we were classed as Trade, dad had his own Haulage and removal business he moved a lot of people in his time and the best payers were the working class, the supposedly middle class paid in goods more often than not. My first Piano, Accordion and several other instruments came this way.
Saying that we discovered my Father like his father and grandfather was a pianist, even my Mother had not known it and so I was taught by Miss Cook with her foot long pencil with which she could make my knuckles bleed, she did not kill my love of playing I still do play but always loved the accordion best.
So G/G being able to serenade a girl, be a complete Gentleman and Dance I did have a bit of a head start down in Bridgend and there is no way I would comment on your picture, "err" nice dogs though.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 23:53

We have friends in Stirling , closer to,Gretna than Carlisle (in the forests)
02/03/2013 at 00:12

Ahh Bunny, I pass down that way quite a lot. My next trip is mid May, on the way to the Isle of Man ( ritually done every year) I have some great friends down there too. Its a lovely part of the world. I'm at my happiest out in the woods. (I mean in the heart of nature) 

Frank, that just sounds painful, A foot long pencil? owww 

02/03/2013 at 06:36

You weren't offensive, Sam, and this is the place for rants. I think I should stop posting when I am tired.

02/03/2013 at 06:49

I HATE it when people assume you are of a lower social level than they are because of your accent. I still have a slight accent even after moving away from home when I was 18 (so been away longer than I was there now). I mix in several social circles, some of my closest friends are well to do and some arent. I can honestly say that being upper class or even middle class doesnt make you a better person, you make the person you are and social class, money, upbringing, breeding and stock means nothing in my eyes. 

02/03/2013 at 08:17

Here's a rant.

Class doesn't make you a better person, but it makes a difference to the privileges and oppportunities you get - and allows you to be rude to people of a different perceived class! I've seen very posh people being icily and very politely rude to someone who is not 'one of us' and I've seen and probably practiced inverted snobbery against those who appeared to condescend to me. Human pride has many expressions!

Obviously, it is what a person is that counts, but many of us will have experienced snobbery and exclusion from others on the basis of class, which actually no--one can choose and nobody earns. Even those who appear to change class through education or achievement only end up wondering which class they belong to and feeling a bit anchorless.

Pride being what it is, class will not be eradicated, though it may be changed. In America, they have supposedly abolished the old class system, but they have one, based on money and achievement, a meritocracy. Communist countries tried to abolish class distinctions by asserting that only the working classes mattered, but they soon got class distinctions again based on sheer power - and the bottom class was always the religious.

Class isn't really the problem. The problem is human pursuit of the great gods money, status, sex and power.

So there!

02/03/2013 at 08:51
Here here dave. When I left my husband...I left with a rucksack of clothes and two cats. Left everything else behind. Money means nothing to me. The more you have, the bigger the problems. If I have enough for the bills etc and as long as I have enough to put in the tank for a ride...Im happy I, as have we all, lost many important people in my life. My moto is 'Live for today, F@#* tomorrow' Sorry for the language. I remember watching a cartoon with my nephew and it said "yesterday is history, tomorrows a mystery, todays a gift" I love it and it reminds me that we all came in with nothing and you leave with the same. Enjoy what you have and of all...smile when you can, love whenever is possible, help when you can and have fun
Spring is here, the earth is wakening up and lifes what you make it.
02/03/2013 at 09:05

not bad language at all, at the end of the day, we are all born naked, we all fart, pee and poo and we all die but consider that we all all made of stars and we have all drank some dinosaur urine.

02/03/2013 at 09:17

I have got to the age where I don't really care what people think of me. I am polite, well mannered and I think kind to others. If people don't like me that's their problem. I have friends from all walks of life, colour and creed..

I was born towards the end of the war, in a very " working class " area, but that was a long time ago, and I am a completely different person to how I was when I was younger. Life's pleasures and knocks colour how you turn out.

I'm with Sam, live for now, today is the most important day of your life, enjoy it.

I'm just thankful I'm still here.

02/03/2013 at 09:34
Dave...you made me roar there lol. Your right hehe
Lovethegarden...here her my dear. I am always in torn jeans, muddy boots and an old hoodie or jumper or my leathers. When people say Im a scruff, I just say well...not my problem. Im happy with me. If people dont like it then thats their problem and if they have the time to worry then they arent living Im sure you have many many more years left in you to smile and make someones day.
Mum folks always say...treat others as you would like to be treated. Its that simple.
181 to 200 of 1,728 messages