London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
08/03/2013 at 14:32
Well I haven't got a rant at the moment. Didn't feel like moaning when I was going through the checkout....very unusual, that's the place that always gets me. I usually sprout horns when I see how many shopping trolleys are infront of me.....and especially when the shopper is chatting merrily to the check out girl.......well I had none of that today, I was All smiles and deliriously happy.....mmmmm....I wonder what is wrong with me today????
08/03/2013 at 14:42

LTG, you make me feel like ranting about stupid shop assistants. Here in Wales, my pet hate is shop assistants who chew gum and call you 'love' - after they've finished their chat to their friend, of course. When I went to middle England and was called 'madam' in shops, I could hardly believe it. Lots of shop assistants are lovely, of course, and lots of customers, probably, are rude. 

M and S went through a period when they printed your cheque for you and all you had to do was sign it (eons ago) and I said jokingly to the shop assistant something like, 'The trouble is, it doesn't sign it for you.' She looked at me incredulously and said witheringly, 'I don't believe you!' and I knew I was going to be idiot of the day in the staff room over lunch.

08/03/2013 at 15:02

i have just discovered that, under 'my reviews' I am down as having reviewed 1256 plants! I've actually reviewed 2.

08/03/2013 at 15:04
Yes there has been a problem with the reviews for a whileGG, but it has been reported.
08/03/2013 at 15:09

Ah, I see. Thanks, Flowerbird. Glad you had a nice time at the supermarket, btw.

08/03/2013 at 15:12

Hi all ,what I hate about big supermarkets and Hard ware stores is "Bar codes" oh for the days of stick on price labels ,

Derek

08/03/2013 at 15:14
I don't usually GG a very rare occurrence, my stress levels normally go through the roof, I must have been in a good mood cos I had bort some flowers for my mum for Mother's Day.
08/03/2013 at 15:15

Yes, food for another rant - non-removable removable labels.

08/03/2013 at 15:16

The plant reviewing system has been weird for some time now, but it's the same for everyone!

08/03/2013 at 15:27

Thanks, everyone. Flowerbird, you have my sympathy. Hope your Mum likes the flowers and has a lovely day.

08/03/2013 at 15:28
Thank GG, barb
08/03/2013 at 16:45

Dear Flower Bird, I am sorry if I upset you so badly though you see I do have an excuse.
I do know most of the check out girls in the two supermarkets I use and usually they see me coming and smile with "Oh at last some one I know will not blame me for all their woes, money problems, lost loves, OH getting drunk and depositing supper on carpet etc", we smile and chat whilst I quickly make everything disapear into two bags I always have ready and have my wallet out with cards loose ready to pay, a cheery goodbye and gone. Probably the fastest packer on any till, I leave the poor check out girl to the next customer who will be steaming from the ears and take it out of her/him just because they are there.
They cannot escape as we can and a smile is far better than steaming to a boiling point over a bit of chat.
Now people who pack it all away slowly, then search through three bags for a purse or wallet, then cannot find their cards, have to put the card in the slot six times as they forgot their pin, now that makes me boil.

Frank.

08/03/2013 at 17:12

Hmmm. I always feel obligated to hurry because of the queue, and I do, but really I think that if I have spent my money there then I am entitled to a bit of time and courtesy. I find the checkout girls very nice on the whole, often exceptionally helpful and kind, but what else should you expect? It is not a production line, but a queue of real people with real needs.

08/03/2013 at 17:46

One advantage of being a pensioner is that you don't have to hurry. I take my time at the checkout, and if I see someone with only one or two items I let them go ahead. I  appreciate that when it happens to me too. Also, I try not to go shopping during the rush hour, the checkout girls are usually friendlier then as well.

08/03/2013 at 17:48

What really annoys me is when something is marked down, say 50%, and the label is stuck over the original price so I can't compare.

08/03/2013 at 17:48

Agreed G/G those girls and boys are also real people and luckily most do not take their own probelms to work although many shoppers seem to take all their bind ups to the tills and take it out on them. I have been almost atomic hearing some of the demands made of the checkout people and usually by people who should know better.
Anyway rant, Scotch eggs for tea and I could only eat one plus no room for pie as yet, too full. That is what you get when eye's are bigger than "err" b no Tummy.

Frank.

08/03/2013 at 17:55
08/03/2013 at 17:55

As I've said before, I do most of my shopping locally, within walking distance. But there are times when a supermarket shop is the way to go...bog rolls, washing powder etc. I try to schedule those times for when I've finished work (I work nights and there's a huge 24 hour supermarket which only means a 4 mile detour on my way home). You'd think it would be quiet, but the aisles are jammed up with staff filling trolleys with online orders. And there's only 1 or 2 tills open...but I always say 'Yes' to the offer of help with the packing, which means the operator has to navigate their way through my motley collection of shopping bags.

08/03/2013 at 18:12

SwissSue, that was a lovely garden, the planners are mad. How heartbreaking for her.

08/03/2013 at 18:13

Swiss Sue, how dreadful!! This is utter madness and this lady should get all the publicity she can muster. I'm wondering whether her local MP can help.

This may contravene the letter of the plannning laws but surely not the spirit. The article says that she has used ten feet of green best land. She should threaten to sue the council if they damage anything not on those ten feet!