London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
08/03/2013 at 18:23

It's unbelievable, isn't it, I thought I was seeing things! It seems that that council is run by what is generally called "jobsworths". It's such a lovely garden and I'm sure the foxes and the birds and bees can still run/fly around in the field next door.

08/03/2013 at 18:29

They are almost certainly in her garden! A similar thing happened in our area a couple of years ago - I don't know the outcome. That person had built some wooden structures though, more obtrusive. 

08/03/2013 at 18:53

Mind you, we have to get planning permission for most things as well, such as pergolas, chicken hutches, garden sheds etc. (unless they are on wheels and can be moved!) The permission request is printed in the local rag and the plans can be seen at the local authority offices so that neighbours etc. can appeal against it, but unless it is a monstrosity nobody usually does. It's just another way to make money! We're lucky, we're behind a 6ft hedge so lots of things we've done around our old house can't be seen.

08/03/2013 at 19:01

bring back Ester Rantsen she would get the council to see the error of there ways .

I hope I've splet her name right

Derek

08/03/2013 at 19:45

Pergolas! Crumbs! I thought that if they were a couple of feet from the boundary, it was your business so long as they didn't exceed something like 6'6". Mind you, mine's a generous 6'6".... but of course, is within the limits!!!  Same for sheds and greenhouses, as long as they are not permanent structures, I thought. Oh well, think I'll carry on thinking that...

I agree, Derek, about the need for someone like Esther Rantzen. Adverse publicity is just what is needed for this kind of jobsworth!

08/03/2013 at 19:53

Hi swisssue, are you forgetting helicopter and satellite surveillance as they do in Ireland ,the council make sure there are no breaches of their rules Big Brother is not only on Ch4

Derek

08/03/2013 at 20:04

No, clogherhead, it's not that bad yet! It's beginning to be in the cities, but fortunately we live in country, small village of approx. 2000. Also, we live on the outskirts and have wonderful neighbours left and right, they even put up their own ultrasonic cat repellers to keep our cats out of their gardens, and will still feed them (the cats not the scarers!) if we go away, so how's that for good neighbours? In return we mind granny who's 95 when they are away.

08/03/2013 at 20:06

Actually, this is more of a chat than a rant, isn't it? Will stop now until I have something to moan about.

08/03/2013 at 20:12

This thread was meant to be light-hearted with serious moments, so discussing rants is quite in order. It throws light on the truth or otherwise of the rant!

09/03/2013 at 08:16

Good morning, ranters! GW last night and a weekend to look forward to. What's to rant about? Bought a new hellebore this week and am going to order some young plants to grow on in pursuit of the beautiful garden that is somehow always just beyond my reach but always beckoning. Spring is springing and today somehow seems quite spring-like despite the cold and grey skies. Seems unworthy to complain. Politics, neighbours, slugs, uncertain weather, pollution, nuclear threat, all real, but life is still desirable. Somebody, put me right. There must be something to be miserable about!

09/03/2013 at 10:20

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19545.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

I guess my moan is that I can't grow hellebores nearly as spectacularly as a friend of mine. The pic is a selection she cut from her garden. Mind you, she gardens in clay, and my soil's like dust.

09/03/2013 at 12:08

Gardening Grandma, take your joi de vive elsewhere, it is my moan and I will moan if I want to, they should write a song about it.
It is raining very cold rain, the East wind is freezing the brass knockers off the door, we are told that next week could be snow ice and below -7 C and I have gout again. I made Lasagna Thursday and knew I was over cheesing it but I do love cheese, so self inflicted wounds are not adding to my will to live.
I watched a program last night telling me the Arabian Gulf people use three times the power we use all from fossil fuel then today read our madcap stupid Government are closing down the fossil fuel power stations and importing wood chip from the USA at a very high cost to us the tax payers, what is there not to moan about. I feel like doing a Wat Tuler and leading the revolting horde on London and some of us a very revolting I can tell you.

Frank.

09/03/2013 at 12:28

Got my knitting needles ready Frank. Just say the word and I will be there!!

You have my deepest sympathy re eating things you know will cause you great pain.  Finally got my act together, at the great old age of ??? and have not eaten anything I know will give me the symptoms of a heart attack!!  Bland diet, but at least I get a good night's sleep and lost weight in the bargain.

09/03/2013 at 12:52

Tina, your knitting needles and my Mothers trusty hay fork should be enough to rout those lily livered wet rags who call themselves the government. When the Church bells Rang during the war it meant invasion and they actually did ring by mistake, mother was there with her pitch fork at the ready shouting words like come on then you (my ears were astonished at ye olde English I had never heard the likes of), they must have got word as Hitler called it off.
You probably guess now I could give you a year or so and being naughty with food now and then adds to the spice of life, I will go out roaring, probably like a mad bull in pain at the antics of the idiots who proclaim themselves as knowing best what is good for us, phooey to the lot of them.
G/G i am going to rant all day so there.

Frank.

09/03/2013 at 13:08

Frank, I just love a good moan.  It's what keeps me going.  My kid's eyebrows take on a permanent uplift when I start.  I can hear their brains whirring 'what now'. 

09/03/2013 at 15:04

Frank, my son has gout on and off and he's only 30! The Doc said it's genetic, but he still has to control his diet. As you must know, it can be horribly painful. I only have osteo-arthritis.I don't understand how cold wet weather makes it worse.

09/03/2013 at 15:55

Rant - ironing white cotton shirts.  Keep telling son to get ones with a bit of polyester in them but, apparently, designer gear doesn't do synthetic fibres.

09/03/2013 at 16:54
Frank, I read the same article you mention, re the Government (why did I credit them with a capital G !) importing woodchip to fuel our remaining power stations. I sometimes think I'm living in some mad parallel world. A future with little power, an army with very few tanks, a navy with aircraft carriers and no planes, and yet we give money to undeserving countries and military supplies to Syria !

I am now a confirmed non-political animal - Labour bankrupted the country, the Fat Boys in power now are very good at telling us what be done, and then doing nothing, and the LibDems are the most dishonest bunch you could ever come across. As for Europe and nameless nonentities out there telling me what I can and cannot do, excuse me, but when did I give any Goverment authority to abdicate their powers to outsiders? Politicians wouldn't even make good compost in my runner bean trench - but perhaps that's the best place for them!

Well, I feel a little better now, perhaps I'd better concentrate on footsie results and depress myself further!
09/03/2013 at 17:19

dmball. Did you vote or are one of those individuals who leave it to others and then moan , would it not be possible for you to post where in the world you are from and a little about yourself ,whether you like or not Germany have won the latest economic War , if you want to change the way your Government spends your taxes tell them as for donating moneys to third world countries , My country is Bankrupt but it is still giving money to Africa and India ( and its a Nuclear Country ) ,.

Derek

09/03/2013 at 17:33

clogherhead, just out of curiosity, where is your country/town? Can't see it on your profile, just the size of your allotment.