London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
09/03/2013 at 17:47

swiss sue  ,I would have thought from my Avatar it would have been obvious ,but I will add it to my profile now just an over sight

Derek

09/03/2013 at 18:18

I vote folks and always have, the problem being each and every government turns out worse than the last. Being from working kin a lot of them miners it can be deduced as to how I voted and more so when paraded before one election and standing on the square listening to Officers tell us how to vote and why, that went down like a lead brick I can tell you.
We are forced to kowtow to Europe, I never voted for that. We are forced to pay massive green taxes erect wind farms that do not work on the coldest days because on those days we have no wind, I did not vote for that. We have to keep criminals from other countries and not only that give them money and housing when we have our own sleeping on the street I never voted for that either.
Our forces are being cut to the bone yet as soon as trouble lands on us they scream for the forces to do something about it, what I ask? pile them into a bus and re-arm them with pikes, the Charge of the very light almost extinct Brigade. The odd one or two of us remember those days of total unpreparedness and the misery it brought we did not vote for that.
"Oh well" that released the pressure valve I can now watch another drear Saturday nights TV.

Frank. Ex DLI 4th RTR, 7th RTR and Armoured Engineers some are and some will soon be History.

09/03/2013 at 18:21

Oh, good, you are still ranting! Why the heck the government keep spending oney outside the country when we so desperately need to create our own wealth and then hold on to it, I cannot imagine! Well, I can, they are again putting short-term economy before the real financial future of our country. We have plenty of wealth in manpower and fossil fuel, but we value both so little that we waste them. In the meantime, thousands of young people are getting used to a life without a job and without purpose and losing the ability to cope with the discipline of work. Madness!

It has been a beautiful day here, despite the forecast - I put the heating off and opened the windows all day. No gardening though - spent the day sorting books and actually putting them on shelves - revolutionary idea. I have so many gardening books! Lots of other books too, despite getting rid of lots to charity shops. Memo to self - stop spending money! Set the government an example!

09/03/2013 at 18:22

BTW, Clogherhead, I don't know where Clogher Head is, except guessing that it is north.

09/03/2013 at 18:42
Clogherhead, I'm Cornish but live now in the Chilterns Hills. I do vote at most elections but I get very irritated by political parties who say that as I voted for them then they feel they have the right to press on with all their crazy schemes even though a lot of them got only a mention, or none, in their manifestos. It's only in the last few years that any discussion has been initiated by the politicians on the immigration problems - nothing against any foreigners, but this country is full to saturation.( having said that I'm a foreigner myself, living the wrong side of the Tamar! )
09/03/2013 at 18:46

Hi Clogherhead, I just taken a closer look at your avater, but all I can see is a starfish perched on a concrete wall? What does it mean?

09/03/2013 at 18:51

I live next door to a really lovely but totally dotty old lady who has planted a hedge  of mixed shrubs right on the boundary line between our properties . She doesn't seem to have realised that they need space to grow ALL the way round and not just on the side that she sees ! And so they have pushed against and broken the fence and I am forever having to prune them back !

09/03/2013 at 18:56

Your'e not the only ones with a bunch of no-hopers in the government. They promise you the earth to get you to vote for them, then conveniently forget all about it once they're elected. The only good thing is that we can have a referendum and vote on a lot of things, but even those get twisted around if possible. But it seems to me that it stinks all over the world. I think all this "globalization" has got out of hand and nobody knows how to stop it and are just clutching at straws!

09/03/2013 at 18:58

I'm thinking I should change the Avatar , the Star fish means nothing really when the New harbour was built the commissioners had a competition and they picked it , I think it cost €20,000

Derek

09/03/2013 at 18:59

Poor you, DD! That was a really restrained rant about dotty old ladies, a class to which I may naturally belong!

09/03/2013 at 19:02
Derek, would that be Ceann Chlochair harbour?
09/03/2013 at 19:03

Swiss sue, We have a couple of Referendums the Government says you the People voted the wrong way so they have another one , less of a turnout so they get the vote they want

09/03/2013 at 19:15
dmball wrote (see)
Derek, would that be Ceann Chlochair harbour?

Yes it would be for sure, but you can use the Queen's English

I am originally from Dublin ,and will allways be a blow in the Village bu that's life

Derek

09/03/2013 at 19:47

Derek, I've just had a look at clogerhead on Google Earth. You are lucky to live by the sea, I bet you can get lots of fresh fish and seafood. Exploring Ireland is one of things on my to-do list, if I live that long! Cross-country with horse and wagon would be ideal!

09/03/2013 at 19:55
My Mum was Irish, from the far West. It's a lovely, lovely Country with super people,and everybody should take at least one holiday in Ireland. You're a lucky fella Derek.
09/03/2013 at 19:55

SwissSue ,yes it nice traveling across Ireland in warm sunshine but I think you might have to bring your own Horse hahaha

Derek

09/03/2013 at 19:59

Delivery rant!

Thought I'd try some strulch, I've never mulched before & it gets vg reviews. Mr Google says the Telegraph have an offer & £ is better than other places so tried to order. We've ordered quite a few things from them before but get the message “postcode is not in delivery area” & to “please select an address.”  It's my address, it's the only one I have, how can I select another?  I've just e-mailed them & said that my postcode hasn't changed, have they changed their delivery area?

I told them that I live in the Scottish highlands, not the other side of the world, we even have roads, lorries & trains up here. The lorries having brought our past orders from them. 

We do get used to paying extra for deliveries up here from some couriers, but not usually a refusal to deliver!

Aaaahhhhh, that feels better, caalm....

09/03/2013 at 20:11

Well, campervan would do as well, Derek. We're outdoor people and hate hotels,etc. And I guess a brolli would be a necessary evil.

09/03/2013 at 23:24

Mea Culpa, in my last rant I declared there was nothing worth watching, wrong playing with the remote I found a Lewis about to start and I had not seen it (I thought I had seen them all), that was followed by Foyles War so I did enjoy my evening watching, I better say three Hail Mary's and stay off tripe for a month.
Jeannie, have you ever tried ordering a pizza delivery from Glasgow, just for fun of course, can you imagine the deliverer on his little bike trying to find you. £7 the pizza £50 delivery.

Frank.

09/03/2013 at 23:36

I watched those, too, Palaisglide, ITV3 being my favourite channel. Bit bored, though, having watched them before. So i tend to agree with your rant.

Highland Jeannie, I think your rant was quite restrained under the circumstances! My sympathies.

Swiss Sue, having toured Ireland some years ago, it was very beautiful. It did  rain quite a bit, even more than in Wales, where I live, so taking a brolly would probably be a good idea! I learnt why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle - all that rain makes the grass grow! The people were charming and friendly - except for the guy who tried to pick my husband's pocket in Dublin. Hubby put his hand in his back pocket - and found another hand in there. He gripped a finger tightly but the guy twisted out of his grasp and disappeared into the crowd. We still liked Dublin though - it had a really good atmosphere, relaxed and friendly.