London (change)
Today 4°C / 1°C
Tomorrow 4°C / 1°C
09/03/2013 at 23:55

G/G Having been where you could wake up already shaved and not felt a thing you learn to have a wallet that is chained to your belt and you drop it inside the trousers not the pocket, never lost a penny ever. Came in handy when suddenly surrounded by Gypsy women in Spain, all they got was a hanky before the Police fell on them.
So do not sow seed in a snowstorm, still waiting patiently and do not carry your cash where it can be nicked.

Frank.

09/03/2013 at 23:58
Palaisglide wrote (see)

Jeannie, have you ever tried ordering a pizza delivery from Glasgow, just for fun of course, can you imagine the deliverer on his little bike trying to find you. £7 the pizza £50 delivery.

Frank.

Tee-hee

10/03/2013 at 08:32

Hubby is mostly like royalty - doesn't carry cash, he has staff to do that!

10/03/2013 at 10:20
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Ooops - that sounds like me.

Do you remember The Good Life telly programme?  Margo to Jerry  "Money Jerry"

I can identify with that!!

10/03/2013 at 10:28

Joan was like that, she carried cash I carried cards, I let her look after the money because she was very good at it so I had to learn as she became progressively ill, my respect grew even more and I miss her.
No rant as yet, only two for Sunday lunch so Silverside of beef waiting to go in the oven and all else ready to start on, lunch at 13:00 sharp.

Frank

10/03/2013 at 11:12

Goodness Frank. You haven't given me much time to get there!

10/03/2013 at 15:28

Hope you enjoyed your lunch, Frank and Tina.

10/03/2013 at 15:44

Gardening Grandma, lunch turned out to be a little rushed I had an extra four plus two dogs so if Tina sneaked in I would hardly notice.
luckily the meat was enough so no sandwiches tomorrow then, I had put a mixed bag of vegetables into a cheese sauce plus plenty of Roast potato's, a few extra to mash and they had to share the Yorkshires then of course my fall back of frozen peas, boy they come in handy.
Daughter and granddaughters just left saying "we do not know how you do it granddad" well once a Boy Scout always a Scout be prepared is the motto, so no fry up tomorrow either. Probably for the best as the gout is still hanging around.

Frank.

10/03/2013 at 16:00

Well done!

There's a link about gout that may interest you (or you may know it all already).

http://www.squidoo.com/foodsthatgetridofgout

11/03/2013 at 16:49
Off on a different rant, but does anybody know a decent make of salt and/or pepper grinder that actually works well and continues working well? Most of the ones I have had or see in the shops are by the same maker, and the actual grinding mechanism can be either plastic or steel, but none seem hugely effective for long.

A small moan when there are so many better things to complain about, but this is usually an irritation at the end of the day I could usually do without - how sad have I become?

11/03/2013 at 17:04

Dmball, if you are sad then so am I, I have the same problem, the salt grinder sweats and stops working, they are difficult to keep dried out in a working kitchen, I now put the pepper corns in my pestle and mortar and take my frustration out on them.
I gave up on sea salt the grinders were useless so use a very old open salt celler with just enough salt for what I need, fingers came first.
The other thing was finding rings on the work top and scrubbing them off to find them back, it was the metal base on one of the grinders, they are all now in the bin.

Frank.

11/03/2013 at 17:17

This is rather a satisfactory thing to rant about, actually. They always leak, too, I find. I now stand mine in two little dishes, one for salt and one for pepper, to catch the grains that leak out. I suspect you get what you pay for and the answer is to go to a classy kitchen shop and pay a lot. I won't be doing that, mind you. I'm far too much of a cheapskate. I'll just carry on moaning.

11/03/2013 at 21:05
Next time I visit one of those twee Italian restaurants, I must ask the waiter where they get the 3-foot long mills used to cover everything, from starters to your ice-cream and coffees.........they always work perfectly. Some waiters are like cowboys of old with their six-guns - blink, and the pepper clouds are flying!
11/03/2013 at 22:26

I just found some on the web, priced from £35.99 to £52.99.

11/03/2013 at 23:02
Thanks GG.......trouble is, if I invest in one of those monsters, I'll need a bigger dining table! Think Frank has arrived at the only sensible solution!
12/03/2013 at 07:34

I wouldn't spend the money either! I like sea salt butr you can get it ready ground.

12/03/2013 at 10:31

Then Gardening Grandma why bother? We had a large salt works near us as a lad and I was in there a few times. Water was pumped down to the brine deposits then back up containing the rock salt which as all salt comes from the sea was laid down millions of years ago.
Washed dried and packaged by what to me seemed to be hundreds of whistling girls the only thing added was Iodine, apparently needed back then.
Apart from being more crystalline I cannot taste any difference to Saxa, possible because of the small amount I use anyway.
Just another way to extract money from us gullable folk methinks.

Frank.

12/03/2013 at 15:19

Perhaps I am kidding myself, but I think I can tell a real difference, Frank. I wonder is it all in my head? 

12/03/2013 at 16:01

Perhaps I am kidding myself, but I think I can tell a real difference, Frank. I wonder is it all in my head? 

Maybe not, we all have differing taste buds, I never smoked in my life and could often tell what spices or herbs had been used in food even white or black pepper although salt always tastes the same to me probably as I take so little.
I often think a fad takes over reason after watching last nights food and drink I am sure. If somebody hung my food from a string and said wear a blindfold they would be very sore around the testimonials and as to injecting your food with your personal hypodermic yikes whatever next.
I do not want my food spread across a large platter in blibs and blobs with foam and jus I want a plate of good food well cooked that would fill a Northern belly, probably the reason I cook my own and get plenty of visitors to help me eat it.
Tonight I have chicken with a Tika sauce all home made, I know exactly what is in there down to the last spice the only change being cream instead of coconut milk, I forgot to get it. OK someone will say you do not add coconut milk to Tika well wait until they see me add the pineapple then, this is my recipe and I will stick what I wish into it so there.

Frank.

12/03/2013 at 16:34

Good for you! I love inventive cookery myself and - until I faced the necessity to lose weight - put cream in curry every time. Delicious! Also in pasta dishes! You sound like a very good cook and i admire your enterprise!