London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
12/03/2013 at 16:49

G/Grandma, a story there, after I retired with plenty of time and money I went to a gentlemen's cookery class supposedly for one year.
I had some experience though the Gentlemen of decideed age obviously had not, the Tutor and her helper would watch one lot of ovens I would watch the others more so when they were boiling milk or anything.
Janet asked me to do another year then another so I ended up as Sous Chef to Janet and her helper. Next door were the ladies of a sewing class who would invade our kitchens pinching the food. I had made a Victoria sponge one day and went home with a slice left and a proposal of marriage, Joan would have had something to say about that as it was one of her friends. Certainly had a funny life at times.

Frank.

12/03/2013 at 18:49

That's great! And you didn't accept the proposal! Don't blame you, really, I wouldn't marry again. Too many comparisons, as my husband always says, but also too little privacy! 

12/03/2013 at 19:43
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

That's great! And you didn't accept the proposal! Don't blame you, really, I wouldn't marry again. Too many comparisons, as my husband always says, but also too little privacy! 

Accept the proposal? only if I wanted my liver served up on a platter very rare. It was a long while back before Joan became ill.

I earned £10 today because I allowed a follow up check after the Census, apparently people lie on the census forms so they spot check, I do not see the point of fibbing on a form, what is to gain?
After a long chat and some questions the chap asked how do you want your ten pounds? somewhat bamboozled I said a voucher which will be sent through the post. How does any of that save the Government money???

Frank.

12/03/2013 at 19:52

Just be thankful! A new plant or two?? Or a cruet set?

12/03/2013 at 21:47
Yeah.......a decent salt mill!
12/03/2013 at 21:53

not for a tenner, dmball!

12/03/2013 at 22:45

Good night all ,While I enjoy a good Rant and a good bit of friendly banter on this thread, and others , would it be possible that before posting that every one use the spell checker , I know that there are different dialects and region variations in the British Isles  But ?

Derek

13/03/2013 at 06:57

Do we need a rant about spelling? Here's a rude but tongue in cheek one.

Come on, you ignorant spellers

The spellcheck is called ABC

Just press the button

And save your mutton

And come up to the standard of Me...

I allways spell right

I aalweis spell rite

I alllwois spel rit

I .... (hic)

13/03/2013 at 07:55

GG, As funny as your reply is there is a serious side to my rant I am constantly asking my children not to txt spk when writing as I think it diminishes  the standard that Teachers are trying to teach

Derek

13/03/2013 at 09:21

U r qut rt. Sorry! As a teacher, I know you are quite right. I can usually spell everyting first time and pride myself in spelling correctly, so I feel really annoyed when I get it wrong. I do make typos in these messages and often spot them after I've posted. Most annoying!

13/03/2013 at 10:38

Hope I'm not a culprit Derek! Usually typos on my part too. I do agree that some threads are indecipherable at times.

I am going back to the plastic bag rant. Sorry.  Tesco shop - 77 items 31 bags.  Have, yet again, brought this to their attention.  Think I will have to go bagless, although I find that inconvenient. 

Not a rant, but they now send you a little message to tell you how much you have saved by shopping with them. Actually, I don't care as I wouldn't swap anyway.

13/03/2013 at 11:30

Henglish as she is spake learned as t'e Queens
By most posters on this board it seems
At times amazes us olde doddery things
We learned it as Henglish be tauld Kings

Schooling shapes us and our speech
Again influenced by those who teach
Parents and area play their share
Check my spelling don't you dare.

I did put one or two of the above names in to spell check and will not print the outcome.
Many post at night after a days work, often tired the brain gets ahead of fingers I know as the History pages I write for the local library I leave until next day then spell check them, it is a win when they say "no spelling mistakes found" that is not always so.
With the wealth of accents used by people on the board mistakes will happen, it does not detract from my enjoyment reading them. A sudden thought! when did text reading teenagers ever read this board?

That sent the ABC into a tizzwaz. If you do see a mistake put the cursor over the bottom right hand corner and press edit I assure you it works instantly.

Frank.

13/03/2013 at 15:52

Hi, Fellow Ranters, I was not getting at any individual person ,I believe that one should try one's best to use our language to the best that they can, it's so irritating to try and decipher what they are trying to say in there enquiry to the forum .

Tina Turner , would it be possible for Tesco to deliver to your shopping in their returnable trays as they do in Ireland as I said before in Ireland there is a tax levy of €0:80 per bag which would add an extra €24:80 to your shop if you lived in Ireland arn't you lucky that you don't .

I will take on board what you say Frank

Derek

13/03/2013 at 16:07

This is one of those light-hearted rants and I am rather glad that we have returned to that. The point is serious but it is good to have a sense of humour, too.Clogherhead, I know you weren't getting at anyone and your point is valid. I'm sorry if I seemd to be making fun of you.

Tina, I get bagless deliveries and I find it OK because they put loose veg etc into a bag anyway. The delivery people don't mind waiting while you empty the boxes and check that you have everything and they always carry the boxes ito my kitchen for me. I find them very nice and up for a chat and a laugh. i wouldn't get 30 odd bags here in Wales anyway because it would cost me 5p a bag and I'd object!

13/03/2013 at 16:07
clogherhead wrote (see)

Hi, Fellow Ranters, I was not getting at any individual person ,I believe that one should try one's best to use our language to the best that they can, it's so irritating to try and decipher what they are trying to say in there enquiry to the forum .

Derek sorry to be picky, do you think that should be "their" instead of "there" we all do it at times.
No hard feelings Derek, I had to correct three pages of writing today when my brain ran well ahead of my fingers getting them all tangled up, I never print those pages without checking.
I do crossword puzzles and today came across a word I had never heard before  the clue was "loudly Lamenting" and the word which I did not get was "Plangent" had to wait until tonight's paper came to find out, we never stop learning do we.
Frank.

13/03/2013 at 16:40

there you my grammar lets me down every time ,no hard feelings /none taken .There was an item on the news this morning ,the Manager of a company called "Pay-pal" had to refuse job's to Graduates because they sent in their "CV's " in txt spk ?

Derek

13/03/2013 at 16:50

The twpsins, as we Welsh peasants say. To be twp (rhymes with 'cup' said with a northern accent) is to be a twit. It would make sense to smarten up their application a bit when they are going for a job!

The spell check was a bit foxed by the word twpsins and thought it was some reference to sin! Or possibly tocsins, whatever they are!

13/03/2013 at 17:37

G/Grandma, we used to shoot them up north, hang about was the Peasants or Pheasants, not to worry they both taste the same a bit gamy. We just hung them longer.
The local paper published some of the job applications sent in,  I fell about Laughing until it struck me these were young people desperate for work, the education system has a lot to answer for.

Frank.

13/03/2013 at 18:13

Parents and electronic gadgets have something to do with it, too, Frank!

13/03/2013 at 18:29

Derek/GG.  Think the bag situation dates back to when I first shopped on-line with Tesco in 1999.  I was a mere slip of a girl then.   Delivery men were always in such a hurry as they had far too many deliveries for the amount of time allowed.  I just used to throw everything in the hall so they could get on their way. Will go bagless and ask them to bring it in to the kitchen.  Do you think, if I smile sweetly, they may put it all away for me. 

Before I retired I dealt with students, all with degrees already but wishing to get a few more letters after their name.  One examiner made the comment that he had never seen such poor grammar, spelling, etc and had marked them down accordingly.  My own grandson's reply when I commented on his poor spelling, punctuation, etc, when doing a History project simply said, 'But it's not English, so I don't have to bother'.