Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
21 to 40 of 1,728 messages
25/02/2013 at 21:02

Hi Hollie Hock, if not the beep who

Derek

25/02/2013 at 21:12

It is run my Gardeners World Magazine who pay the BBC a fee for use of the name

25/02/2013 at 21:15

Hi Derek, it's run by the Gardeners World franchise,who ever they might be. That is why there are adverts and commercial offers on here. Something that you would never get on a BBC site. The only link to the BBC I can see is the that happen to air the programme with the same name.

25/02/2013 at 21:27

Eh? I don't really junderstand the last three entries. Are you saying that this website has nothing to do with Gardeners' World. That does make sense since the Insiders website seems to be repeating some things unnecessarily.

25/02/2013 at 21:31

There a lot of magazines like this-Top Gear,Good Food etc-all use the BBC name-but are not run by the BBC-nor nowadays is The Radio Times .

As has been said they pay a fee for the use of the name

25/02/2013 at 21:36

Another illusion bites the dust!

25/02/2013 at 21:39

GG, it's just the running of them doesn't have anything to do with the BBC.

25/02/2013 at 21:40
hollie hock wrote (see)

Is is just the MOB brigard that moan? I'm not old but have my say about a lot of things

holliehock, you are now officially an honorary MOB. Marty, love the photo, but when did you see me and hubby on hol?

25/02/2013 at 21:42

HI,. educated , thanks,hollie hock Sotongeoff

Derek

25/02/2013 at 21:45

you've got neighbours - well my next-door-but-one neighbour has planted a two storey bungalow (!) at the end of the garden and a double garage with a pitched roof half way down - great excuse to grow something reeeeelly tall to obscure that view!  Come on now - any ideas?

25/02/2013 at 21:47

Hello again, granny. How much light have they blocked?

25/02/2013 at 21:48

Leylandii 

25/02/2013 at 21:52

how about very tall sun flowers or leylandii or erect a 10 foot high trellis and grow clematis Montana or Rubens .

Derek

25/02/2013 at 21:57

definitely not Rosa carriola.

No light from me, Grandma - a lot from my nice neighbours. Just really spoiled my lovely open views - think I'll just let the holly hedge let rip - at least that will be popular with the birds.  House building of course not done by a real person - a developer making money - has built a 5 bedroom housse with a tiny walled backyard at the front of the plot and this "bungalow" at the back....always used to think a bungalow was single story! hey ho!

25/02/2013 at 21:57

Cheers GG

25/02/2013 at 21:59

Rosa, you wicked girl!

I like pergolas with big plants piled up on them. They don't take too much light or goodness from the soil but they do provide good privacy and they can be beautiful in their own right. Obviously, patience is needed, thogh some plants grow pretty fast. I planted a rampant climbing rose on mine less than two years ago and it has already reached the roof. I also have jasmines and clematis Jackmanii superba.

25/02/2013 at 22:28

Thought I wouldn't have a rant. BUT...

People expect instant success in their gardens. This started with the make over shows and continues. There are some plants that do not go 'goody' I am in the soil I will grow straight away. Some plants like to think about it once they feel the soil around them and may take a couple of months to show life - seeds are the same

, I have just sown some that take 1-2 months to germinate

Garlic is the same - it needs time to think about growing especially as it has to be frosted first,, It doesn't want to get its new shoots cold

Plants/gardens even lawns take time to grow and give their benefits

25/02/2013 at 22:46

Tina, as the owner of two small dogs which like nothing better than an excuse fpor a good yap, I am deeply aware that it is the responsibility of the owner to shut the little @*#**!s up. (The symbols stand for 'delightful creatures' of course). You are entitled to complain to the council and ask for anonymity.

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/complain-about-noise-to-the-council

Rosa, you just earned your MOB badge. Wear it with pride.

25/02/2013 at 22:47

I'd like to turn the tables and suppose that my neighbours were moaning about me...

"Well who does she think she is? All posh with her garden, trying to out do us all.

She spends all her time in that garden and must give the plants better care than her family. They grow uncomfortably large for my liking and overhang a lot whilst the sound of all that mowing drives me bonkers. Whats wrong with a bit of concrete for heaven's sakes? 

There's wild animals everywhere, not to mention she's always asking to borrow the ladder or the saw or something to do with her gardening. She makes it seem like its really important but I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

And I bet her husband doesn't get a look in, poor sod, mind you, he's not missing much. She looks a right mess most of the time out there in her wellies come rain or shine. I've even seen her eating the stuff she grows straight off the plant like some caveman would do!

Really, I don't know what she sees in those plants, it's not like they  do much, just don't talk to her about them or she will bore you senseless!"

25/02/2013 at 23:05

Yes, but Wintersong, MOBs do not have that much self-awareness. They feel they have the right to grouse about everything because their judgement is simply so much better than anyone else's. Actually, other people's opinions get on their nerves.  Humiity and a sense of proportion disqualify you as an MOB. I'll have to give you a C+ and ask you to do better next time. Because I am an MOB and know everything.

21 to 40 of 1,728 messages