London (change)
Wed 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 9°C
16/03/2013 at 08:53

Thanks Derek. It is a good idea, The problem is, in a small garden stuffed with plants, that there isn't really room to dig a hole big enough to bury the pots and even less room by the time one needs to dig them up because other plants are developing. I did think of having bulbs in pots only, but they just look so glorious naturalised in the borders with the hellebores. I guess I just want the best of all worlds - and that's not possible unless you have pots of cash!

16/03/2013 at 10:39

I'm proud to be an MOB! Do hate apathy. That's first rant for the day.  Too many people moan and get up in arms about certain things, but never actually do anything about it. I have to put pen to paper, or rather fingers to laptop, otherwise things just fester in my mind.  No, I'm not a miserable old biddy, quite the opposite really.

Right, second, the b....dy weather.  Pouring with rain and blowing a gale.  Is there no end? 

That is a very good idea Derek and one which I will put into practice later this year.  Much easier way of doing things. Do like to keep it simple.  Don't quite have the same energy that I used. 

Frank, I think the younger generation are more capable in the kitchen than men of my generation.  Very few of my friends OH's were competent to produce a meal. Wish my OH had learned to cook.  The one time he had to get a meal for the kids, when asked how it was, they said the sausages were black.  As for my Dad, after my Mum passed away, popped in one day to find he had tried to, of all things, to cook himself some chips.  Outside the kitchen door was a dark stain and a sorry looking fryer.  He just said 'Well, I waited for the oil to boil, like your Mother used to'.  From then on, I took over. 

16/03/2013 at 12:33

G/G. Joan as a bit of a joke at me retiring bought an expensive trowel and fork set with longer handles and blades. "Do not want you suffering back ache from bending do we" hm. I found it absolutely ideal for digging out bulbs when they went over but still had leaves to see where they were. Push down all round the bulb or clump and lift, I drop them all together into an old large pot fill it with compost and let them die down naturally in a sheltered corner, the bulbs can then be dried and bagged or just left and replanted the next year.
Another tip is to buy the pond baskets from a GC they come in all sizes and shapes, plat up the basket with bulbs, cram them in, sink in compost until ready then dig a hole and plant the basket complete, I do that for my Daughters, the baskets can then be lifted and left to die down naturally. It does not cost the earth as once bought they last years, the bulbs get a good start in shelter then instant flower garden. As with everything some planning ahead saves both time and money.

Frank.
PS Yes G/G a rich and often colourful life none of which I would change though I do miss Joan..

16/03/2013 at 12:42

Of course you do, Frank. Three of my friends/relatives have been widowed this week, perhaps the biggest and most difficult adjustment anyone is ever asked to make.

In my particular circumstances, I really like the idea of digging them out and putting them into a big pot to die down and then keeping them there until the following year. Do you think it applies to all bulbs? I've never tried it. it is one of those commonsense ideas that seem obvious once you've thought of it - but I've never thought of it.

My OH is certainly happy to be an MOB. Me, I'm in denial!!

16/03/2013 at 12:50

Be brave GG!  Acceptance is the first step.

Have found a use for all those black plastic pots behind the shed.  Next year, Gw, I will have spring bulbs. 

Another rant.  End of year tax returns.  Not mine but son and son-in-law's.  Paperwork has got as far as table.  Why can't I get as enthusiastic about doing that as I do about chattering?

16/03/2013 at 13:12

G/G, My Father grew masses of Daff's and Tulips as he could sell them and would tell me to trench the bulbs after cutting. In an un-used bit of the garden I would push a spade deep in the ground working along making a trench (quite narrow) put some grit in the bottom or sand and then dig up the bulbs often in clumps drop them in the trench and cover leaving the leaf to take in the goodness for next years flowers. It worked for all bulbs, once the flower is gone it puts all its energy into building up the bulb.
When I did not have room in my garden I dropped the bulbs into pots and found it works just as well, they can be left out as they need a cold spell to start them into growth, If like last year we have constant rain turn the pot on its side and chock it to stop rolling.
My Daff's on the front East facing curled up in balls through the bitter cold spell we had I thought them gone, they have uncurled and standing up like Guardsmen now, I had never seen that happen before.

Frank.

16/03/2013 at 13:12

Again, a very gentle rant, Tina! Why is it that I can read six books, spend 30 hours on the internet, watch five episodes of Midsomer Murders on DVD, even escape into the ironing as a last resort, and still not have dealt with form-filling?

16/03/2013 at 14:40

Form filling I would get on with GG.  Have to enter everything on spreadsheets.  Now, never used spreadsheets when I was at work.  Not necessary.  So, I have had to teach myself, which I didn't mind, but it's so boring.  12 months' worth. Just finished a crossword and was about to start but have put it off - again.  I'll be OK, once I get going. Oh, think it's lunchtime.  In case you're wondering, am a late riser so don't eat breakfast until 11. Rugby is on too. Perhaps tomorrow.

16/03/2013 at 15:10

Good info, Geoff, thanks. Amazing to watch the hellebores, too, bowed over in the mornings and then standing up and opening to the sun. Guess these things are built-in defences against rain and cold.

My sympathies, Tina. Its the sort of thing we hopes to leave behind when we retired. Although - perhaps you are ont retired and I am insulting you???

16/03/2013 at 15:37

Oh yes, well retired.  5 years and counting.  Didn't retire when I should either so I am well over the hill. In body that is, not in mind.  When grandkids ask me how old I am, (sure they only do it to wind me up) answer - brain 21 but it's the exterior that lets me down.  As you can see, anything to put off the dreaded job.  Also there's a lot of muscular young men chasing an oval ball around at the moment, with another match to follow.  Always tomorrow.

16/03/2013 at 16:05

Those people unaccountably chasing a ball? Don't get the point, myself, and, sadly, I'm too old to care what they look like. There's scope for a rant there, actually.

Well, enjoy your procrastinating. Procrastinators of the world, unite!

16/03/2013 at 16:28

No, I'm past caring too GG! If I'm honest, I get sick of all the sport shown. (Ducking for cover).  I will watch the English match next.  Not too sure who has just won as I have it on with no sound.  Actually, just checked and it's England and Wales next.  Perhaps you better grab your leek!

Have got as far as sorting all the bank statements to make sure I have them all.  Son a bit lax, to say the least, at getting his act together.  I'm the organised one and, I gather, try and organise everyone else. Moi?  Never.

16/03/2013 at 16:41

We had the Ireland/Italy match on, too. OH and I both went to sleep. He woke up with a start and asked, 'Who won?' 'No idea', I said. He's now trying to stay awake for the England/Wales match, but was working last night so will probably fail. He's nearly 70!

16/03/2013 at 16:53

I am definitely going to stay awake.  Rugby is the only sport I am interested in watching.  Not that good on the rules but, who cares. 

16/03/2013 at 17:45

Aaaargh! have just realised from reading above that it's near the end of the financial year and I have to do the year's accounts. It takes about a day and a half. Once I start I almost enjoy it; it's just getting started that is so painful

Lyn
16/03/2013 at 18:04
Me too artjak and it comes just when you want to get outside.
Every year I vow to do it as we go, and for a start, I do, then the summer comes and so on.
16/03/2013 at 18:36

It is easier to do it all at once; I'm sure there will be a wet/cold day v. soon so that's when I'll do it

16/03/2013 at 18:42

Turned the sound down on the TV as I couldn't bear it anymore.  Your husband, if he stayed awake GG, must be over the moon. 

Have managed to unscrewed some of the receipts.  Son will insist on stuffing everything in a Terry's Chocolate Orange tin and then brings it down after 6 months. So organised.  Does use a Commercial Card when he thinks about but I have to go through everything as he often forgets.  Then, the dreaded spreadsheet.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Been wet and cold today, so what's your excuse Artjak!

16/03/2013 at 18:45

Well, even I enjoyed the Wales/England match! Great rejoicing in Wales tonight!

'And we were singing hymns and arias,

Land of my Fathers, Ar Hyd Y Nos.'

Not that I want to rub it in or anything!

16/03/2013 at 18:55

Thought both the singing and play was magnificant.  Well deserved win. Congrats GG.  Always love to hear the Welsh sing. Grovel, grovel.