London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
24/03/2013 at 20:49

I agree, HH. Those of us who had an old-fashioned education learnt to use language correctly, but education has changed and the 'rules' are not taught in the same way.  It is true that language keeps on changing, too, and some things are now acceptable. Like you, Sue, I find some things intensely irritating. An example is 'anymore' instead of 'any more' - yet the computer spellcheck wants 'anymore.' I'm not an English teacher, though. I expect I make mistakes myself.

24/03/2013 at 21:06

No Fairygirl, I am just lazy.  Done nothing today except get up, sit down, do accounts, cook dinner and sit down again.  Did not pass go or collect my £200. I will do more when it warms up a bit. 

GG, you do not have to correct spelling mistakes, incorrect grammar, etc, unless you are an English teacher. All other subjects, it doesn't matter.  So said my grandson when he was at school.  I once went through a History project he had written and which had been assessed and nothing had been picked up. 

24/03/2013 at 21:25

My pet hate at the moment re grammar is when someone says something like 'it's more greener' . No, it's greener or it's more green. If I was any good Tina I would now go and get packed lunch for daughter ready and wash all the dishes instead of sitting here typing this 

24/03/2013 at 21:34

Fairygirl, how I relate to all you say - especially about what I should be doing instead of this!

Tina, most school pupils would probably agree with your grandson.

Lyn
24/03/2013 at 22:10
Even worse when they say ' it is more gweener' there isn't a documentary on these days where someone isnt going for a wow on the wiver or planting wodadendrons.
24/03/2013 at 22:12
GG, you mentioned another bane of my life, the b....y computer spellcheck! Sometimes when I'm in full flow I type away like a mad thing, but when I read over my masterpiece the spellcheck has changed half a dozen words - I missed the warning as I was already half a mile ahead of myself.

I had a grammar school education and English was one of my best subjects - I related well with the teacher and enjoyed the lessons. As a result, whenever I see bad grammar or blatant spelling mistakes, especially in books which presumably have been checked by proof-readers, then I get this pain behind my eyes and a burning need to deface the offending paperwork. I resist of course - I just moan about it to friends and relatives, most of whom groan, and change the subject. It's good to use this particular thread - thanks to GG for starting it up!
24/03/2013 at 23:19

If I was any good Tina I would now go and get packed lunch for daughter ready and wash all the dishes instead of sitting here typing this

Ah, well that's where I excelled myself.  Washed everything up and put it away (no dishwasher), made my son's salad for tomorrow (as you know, he's only 33) and have done a bit more of the accounts.  I feel so righteous.

Now going to find something to watch on catchup.  Bit of a night owl.

I wasn't much good at anything much at school dmball except talking.

24/03/2013 at 23:37

Good job you lot do not live in my neck of the woods everything is nautical, the floor is the deck, living room main deck, upstairs upper deck if we are up we go below decks. We go aft and fora rd, port and starboard and often in our cups roll in the scuppers. "Oh dad is in the engine room" the kitchen, "Hannah do you want the heads" toilet if daughter is taking me out I get told wear your tiddly suit and we eat scran.
When they brought starngers from sounth of the Tees home they thought we were from Mars, not our fault if they do not talk properly.
I ask why "Train Station" in my day it was the Railway Station we left from and came back to, the Bus Station was always the Terminus and the spell check does not know its ears from its elbows, well that is my way of putting it.

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 01:06

Palaisglide, there is one thing I have never understood , why is a toilet known as the Heads .I

am not Army although I did 4 years in "Civil Defence".

Derek

25/03/2013 at 07:48
Lyn wrote (see)
Even worse when they say ' it is more gweener' there isn't a documentary on these days where someone isnt going for a wow on the wiver or planting wodadendrons.

Brilliant Making me laugh this morning. You all seem to stay up very late- I'm lucky if I manage to stay awake past half 9 especially if I lie down on settee! Tina I'm now ironing a shirt for youngest- when are the little darlings going to find out how that thing works!!

25/03/2013 at 08:07

Frank - does scran mean the same in E.ngland as it does here? We use it sometimes just meaning tasty food in general. Dm, it's when you see the 'onion's 98p' thing...still makes me laugh! I heard there was a council who was going to remove the apostrophes from street names in case it 'confused people' .......aaagh You couldn't make it up!

25/03/2013 at 08:52

When are all of you Mammy's going to treat your children like young people My OH used to think that our two boys would starve if she was not back from where ever we where to feed them , I taught them from an early age how to boil an egg butter bread and make tea , how to look after their clothes took a bit longer but they know now, Just after we were married I made a big mistake I said to my young wife that she should stay in bed that it was to cold for her to get up to make my lunch for work that was in 1983 ,I was making mine up to my retirement in December last . When my children started to earn their own keep she would get out of bed, make there lunch and get them their breakfast,its such a long day for them she would say.I only discovered this when I came home early one morning from doing a 12 hour night shift. They all know where the washing machine is how to work the microwave and where the clothes line is ,Stop treating them with kid gloves they will survive and if you don't believe me just stop for a week and do your own thing ,Life is too short to be running after  kids in there teens or older .

Derek

25/03/2013 at 10:40

Derek, the heads was a Navy term originally a small platform with if you were lucky a bit of canvas hung over the Bows of the ship, it was situated in the Heads and I imagine lead to a lot of constipation.
The army called the holes in the ground behind the camp Heads as some had a wooden log to sit on some were squat but not after drinking and the odd one or two had some canvas around them. If there was a rush it was a toss up heads you got a seat and canvas to put your tail on, tails it was let it all hang out. Being modest in the forces was not the way to go, says he who dived into the Suez Canal starkers at the narrowest part in front of a bus full of Waaf's fifty odd yards across on the other side. My excuse was i did not see them but boy it raised a cheer.
Fairygirl Scran was an old Geordie word for food which I would assume came from over the border the number of times those blokes in skirts came our way, as with many words in our language in these parts possibly Nordic as we are supposed to be mainly Viking stock.

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 10:49

Frank , thank you Alway's wonderd .

25/03/2013 at 10:57

Laughing at your post Derek!  I am guilty of everything.  I think it's in some women's nature they they feel the need to do these things.  I do my son a lunch every day as he tells me it's so expensive to eat out in London. Of course, if I do it for him, it costs nothing. I'm an old mother hen.  Yes, I know he will survive if I don't do these things, but I can't help myself.

Just off to make his bed.

25/03/2013 at 13:46

I do joke about my girls but they're perfectly capable in most ways although it would be nice if they got off their a%*$* now and again and offered rather than having to be asked! Older one is very good at putting flat pack furniture together- maybe I should hire her out especially as there's not so many chimneys nowadays to send them up.. Frank that's interesting about the Heads thing- you learn something new every day! 

25/03/2013 at 14:18

Enjoyed reading these posts. I used to work very hard at keeping this thread going, but I feel now it has acquired a life of its own.

My son's room at home was always a tip but now he is neat and fastidious and keeps everything in order. I used to climb over his stuff to get to the bed to change it. Why do one's children do this?

25/03/2013 at 15:08

GG, I have a wonderful vision of you picking your way through the rubble to get to the bed.  I, on the other hand, clean it up as I run the risk if breaking my bones. 

Came over here to have a rant.  This is Brumbulls fault as he has just mentioned mobile phones on another thread.  My mobile phone is for emergencies only.  Hate text messages and find I am half way through answering when another alert sounds because I'm slow.  I am trying to find a placard for my front door like the ones in Doctors' surgeries, which tell you to turn them off beyond this point.  I find it so rude when, halfway through a conversation, whoever is visiting breaks off and starts having a chat with someone else. As for those who think we all want to hear their conversations, we don't.  My daughter has, on several occasions, sent out an SOS to my two sons, both work in London, to say I am not answering my mobile.  They then start worrying in case I am laying spark out on the floor!! Great for having when you're travelling, etc, but is it really necessary to constantly be chatting on them?

25/03/2013 at 15:19

Don't get me started on the mobile phones!!Younger daughter uses hers all the time and older one never switches hers on and I don't know which is worse! Have to say that older one has got better since starting uni and is quite good at getting things for me in Glasgow as  I hate town and would rather rip my liver out with a rusty hook than go there  GG my older daughter has filed all her financial bits and pieces in separate folders....I must be getting through to her at last! The removal men did laugh at the amount of stuff going into her bedroom when we moved though... are boys more untidy??? My girls are sometimes awful but they do at least hang up their clean washing after years of nagging them.

25/03/2013 at 15:25

Mobile B@#@##@ phones, I had a house full Saturday all talking and comparing the latest black-bush or co2 or whatever they are called, Mine is only £35 a month and a free phone?? no it is not free you are paying for it.
Mine only costs £17 a month? yes but how much did you pay for the phone.
Well mine a bargain buy shell phone six years ago for £26 pay as you go last year cost me £20 I top up £10 and get £10 free plus they text me every week to top up again for more free time, I have not used last years yet. The beauity being in Scotland mine was the only phone getting a signal in some places, the fancy ones were useless.
Today I had another house full, a daughters birthday and again phones going every five minutes, it is a wonder she had time to blow out the candles on guess what? A b@@###@@ carrot cake, I managed to force some down and smile yuck.
I love my family although at times I feel like rolling out the barbed wire and erecting the Ikea machine gun post then fighting them off, saying that by the time I erected an Ikea guard post I would probably have been invaded.

Frank.