London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
25/03/2013 at 15:33

Frank is that a new recipe for carrot cake? . What you need is a moat-those Tory MPs know all about them....I'm worried that you're going to have a seizure! I keep making the mistake of moving house and telling the kids where I've moved to...

25/03/2013 at 15:57

Can't stand mobile phones either.  For me they're a useful emergency tool if I'm stuck somewhere or am waiting to meet someone who's late.  They are not a life enhancing gadget or an every day need.  Nobody I know is so important they need to be on the end of a phone 24/7 and it's rude to let the ringing and chat interfere with and intrude on valuable family and social time.

Teenager's room is another point of frustration.   I'm fed up with picking clothes off the floor and having tto pick my way through the obstacle course of detritus as though I were negotiating a minefield so I've told her I am buying no new clothes till she can look after what she already has and anything I do find on the floor goes in the bin as it's clearly not wanted.

She's been "cleaning" her own room for over a year and gets to do the landing and spare bedroom too.   Since I went in for my first foot op at the end of Jan, she also makes her own lunch for school.  If she doesn't tell us she's run out of rolls or fillings she has to buy lunch with her own money.  

Hard work trying to get a teenager to organise itself!

Never buying KEA furniture again.  I'd rather buy second hand made from proper wood and do it up.  It's usually much more attracive, sturdier and cheaper too.   My last buy was red Billy bookshelves.  OK so they were an interim measure while I find real ones but they've flipping well bent under the weight of real books! 

25/03/2013 at 16:04

BB

Frank, I must have the same phone as you. Can't remember how many years I've had it. You have to press buttons to send a message and all the letters/numbers have long disappeared. Like you I top up £10, get so many messages free, probably lasts me a couple of months, then I use the £10 I put on.  I take it out with me when I go to Morrisons, but purely to let my daughter know when I'm ready to be picked up because I don't like carrying anything. Half the time, I don't know where it is.  I don't understand all these modern things, like tablets (thought that's what you took for a headache) and the various other modern inventions.

Fairygirl, I think I said the other day that my daughter definitely suffers from OCD as she is ultra tidy. Always has been.  Drives everyone round the bend.  Wish she could reach a happy medium.  Both sons are hoarders.  One I don't care about anymore as he has his own home, but the other is like a bag man. 

Oops, tribes just arrived, so best be polite.  I wonder how long it will be before the dreaded mobile rings or emerges.

25/03/2013 at 16:35

Tina it's strange how they can be so different isn't it? My Dad was a real hoarder and clearing the house when he died was very difficult, for obvious emotional reasons, but mainly  because my sister and her husband are even worse . For each item she put in a bag to take home I was putting 20 in another one to throw out. If it had been down to her to take charge her we'd still be emptying it now.. I couldn't stand living in her house it would drive me nuts! I hate clutter and I don't acquire 'stuff' the way lots of people do. I keep telling the kids they'll thank me for it when they have to clear the house once I pop me clogs! 

25/03/2013 at 16:45

i like my mobile phone! It s touch screen and I have learnt how to touch the tiny letters with my blunt fingertip and actually find the right spot. I'm very proud of myself! What I like best, apart from being able to get satnav directions if I lose my way in the car, is being able to text people and not have to waste time ringing them. See, I'm a true MOB!

25/03/2013 at 16:55

My Dad hoarded too. He would collect 'good' wood from people's skips and when he died, we had 9 bonefires and 3 skips. Fortunately, my Mum had been totally different and wouldn't allow him to hoard indoors so that wasn't a problem. I'm not keen on visiting my son as there's stuff everywhere. It's not dirty, just so cluttered and I want to get my hands on it! 

I'm very minimalistic.  Basic furniture, not into ornaments, etc. but that's the way I like it.

I do like the convenience of a mobile phone GG for when I go shopping but it takes over some folk's lives, my lot included

25/03/2013 at 17:09

Tina, would you please come and sort out my house? I love the look of minimalist houses but can't help hoarding. I don't keep rubbish (much) but cram too much into a smallish space because I can't beat to part with good stuff. Or even moderately good. Or even not absolutely awful...

25/03/2013 at 17:17

Fairy Girl, my recipe for Carrot cake is bin the ingredients and do not bother, had this rant before see no need to add carrots or what difference it makes. I can make light or heavy ginger cakes and enjoy them without the use of a carrot, if I could find who invented it I know what I would do with the carrot.
G/G, with my fingers I could play you a Nocturne a Concerto or I Do it my way without any problem. Give me a touch phone or one of those I-paddy thingees and I could make the phone disappear never mind what is on the screen. Daughter will say look at this Dad hand it over and bang it is gone, I will stick to my steam powered laptop thank-you.
Untidiness, my answer was get them in the forces and now you should see their places, spotless everything in place, the problem being when the grandchildren come here I have to tell them it is OK to have their toys on the floor, no rules here and they love it, and guess what they clean up before leaving but had fun in-between.

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 17:38

GG I am ruthless. Not always that clever though as, at the end of last winter, I threw all my clothes out. Came unstuck when the cold weather came back.  Regularly go round the house turfing things out I no longer want/need.  I used to hoard but I think after having to clear all the hoarded stuff at my Dad's it made me think about getting my own house in order. Only cluttered space is the loft, which isn't mine rubbish, but that of my kids.  Fully intend that to be a job for this summer, should it ever arrive. Like Fairygirl, my kids will be so thankful one day.

I do have a few bits and bobs but my family know I am not a ornament person. Neither was my Mum, so I never inherited anything from her.  Makes it sound like my home is devoid of any warmth, but it's just not cluttered.

25/03/2013 at 18:04

I have a mountain of china I inherited from my mother and had to buy a cabinet for it! Lovely china but I don't really have room for the cabinet since we downsized into a bungalow suitable for the ageing. Have regretted it ever since - I'm much too young to need it!! It is very appropriate for the elderly. It has a post box and bus stop outside, a small and convenient garden, downstairs bathroom and nice conservatory for pleasant sitting. (The conservatory, not the bathroom!) I loathe it! Not true - it is OK but I'm only 27.

25/03/2013 at 18:13

Dear Gardening Grandma just think you will never have to move again, i swore after the last move im never moving.

I have 2 rants whatb the hell is going on with the font size? and my husband has done my head in today will someone please take him away until he calms down.

25/03/2013 at 18:20

Dear Maud, the fundtion of husbands is to refine the character of their wives. Mine has made me almost perfectly patient!

Font size OK for me, now, but I did press control and plus/equals some time ago. Anybody else's cursor bouncing about like a demented flea? Or is it that coffee I spilt over my laptop last week?

25/03/2013 at 18:24

He works from home on a monday and the broad band connection was playing up, so the whole world has been wrong today. I need more chocolate

25/03/2013 at 18:33

Maud, the font size has been tiny for a few days now. If you press Control + the font gets bigger and Control - smaller and Ctrl 0 back to how it was. There is a technical fault. I'm not getting emails to tell me when people have responded to posts either and today it wouldn't upload a photo. And it won't let me look at "my posts", just a squashed tomato.

I love carrot cake. Each to his own!

25/03/2013 at 19:29

GG are you telling porkies about your age??? My cursor's been the same

Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

I have a mountain of china I inherited from my mother and had to buy a cabinet for it! Lovely china but I don't really have room for the cabinet since we downsized into a bungalow suitable for the ageing. Have regretted it ever since - I'm much too young to need it!! It is very appropriate for the elderly. It has a post box and bus stop outside, a small and convenient garden, downstairs bathroom and nice conservatory for pleasant sitting. (The conservatory, not the bathroom!) I loathe it! Not true - it is OK but I'm only 27.

Are you telling porkies baout your age GG??? My cursor's been the same. Tina- with you on the ornament thing. Just mor s$*& to clean. Less is more is my motto Frank - I know what you mean about carrot cake but it's so that people can kid themselves that it's healthy! I like it but not the icing they usually put on it.  Would rather have gingerbread. Yum yum. Do you think Paul Hollywood will do some - it IS bread ....Maud- I'm quite glad I'm single again Chilli for tea was rather good even if I say so myself. This ranting thing's great isn't it! 

25/03/2013 at 20:29

Fairychild, you obviously haven't seen the length of GG's nose. Of course carrot cake is healthy, it's one of your daily 5 and I love icing.  My 'treat' is a lemon slice a day. Daft really.

Fairchild, I love answering only to myself and not being beholden to anyone.  Do what I like, when I like.  Bliss.  Don't feel like I'm missing out on a thing.  Just my view you good people.

25/03/2013 at 21:45
I'm giving up on these forums/threads for now - everything is all over the place and no advice of responses to any of my comments. I've forgotten some of the threads I joined, and get tired of searching. Life's too short - I will take a break, hopefully in Egypt on the beach and just moan at the heat and the flies - only a gentle moan as I love southern Egypt and the Nubian people.
25/03/2013 at 21:47

Here is my rant: Why are Jersey Plants Direct selling Busy Lizzy that are prone to fungus and why are is there no disclamer. I just bought 160 and have only just found out about the fungus that is killing them !!!!!

25/03/2013 at 22:15
dmball wrote (see)
 - I will take a break, hopefully in Egypt on the beach and just moan at the heat and the flies - only a gentle moan as I love southern Egypt and the Nubian people.
Perhaps when you come back you can fill in some details,just saying
Derek

25/03/2013 at 22:17

why not take your complaint to your consumer affairs Dept'

Derek