London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
25/03/2013 at 22:25

Dmball, go to your name at the very top of the page and click on then go to My Posts you will see your every comment.
Egypt? Never mind the flies, the heat, the scorpions, the ants and the "Kite Hawks" not what we called them that would snatch your meal from the mess tin in nanoseconds. Shortage of water, dry rations and going everywhere in an oven set at max temp called an armoured vehicle.
You can keep the place give me little old Britain any day freezing the door knockers off or not.

G/G Any relation to Pinocchio then?

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 22:40

Maud, I hope your OH is now calmer and your soul suitably purified by the experience.

Tina and Fairygirl, whatever can have made you think that I am not 27? Palaisglide, how dare you!! And me an RE teacher and assistant Pope! Woould I lie?

Frank, you took the worlds right out of my mouth regarding going to My Posts to find the threads dmball is interested in. You prevented me from posing as an expert. I find that most unkind!! In general, I am most aggrieved!

Greentooth - my sympathy.

25/03/2013 at 22:48

G/G know your place! Women are supposed to be "err" how can I put this? well not quite as quick at problem solving as their sup-- spers--- superiors I think is the word, be not ashamed you did come second and according to my old school motto "Playing the game is more important than winning" what a load of old tosh, I play to win.
It is not an unkind act it is the way of life, get used to it.

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 22:49

GG have you tried going to your posts as Frank has suggested I have and all I get for my trouble is a squashed tomato

Greentooth - my sympathy.

is that it , has the person no redress ?

Derek

25/03/2013 at 22:55
25/03/2013 at 22:55
Thanks Frank and GG, but went to My Posts and all I got was the famous squashed tomato!

Note your comments Frank, and I've driven across the Sinai Peninsula a couple of times and I can't disagree with you, but a week in a 5-star air-conditioned hotel set on a warm beach will set me up nicely. If Cornwall had a bit more of Egypt''s weather, I'd never go abroad again!

Still, I admire all you blokes who served, and fought , in places like that - having been there I know what a nightmare it is when you scratch the surface.
25/03/2013 at 22:58

Fairygirl I got a load of visitors just as Paul was coming on and in our house the TV goes off when people come.
Ginger cake, Ginger bread, Parkin I love them all honest to goodness cakes but Carrot cake?? what kind of goat in sheep's clothing is that, not honest ginger as they hide it with spices, soft soggy and over sugared, leaves a yucky taste in the mouth and the icing should be used to grease car springs.
Chili for tea?? Raw or in something??

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 23:11

Sorry the My Posts tip did not work. I do it all the time if I want to find something and I do not bother with email notifications. The system is up the bung!

Well, Frank, one of the lords of the universe, I'll remember my place in future (fat chance!)

I hate ginger and tolerate carrot cake. Give me coffee and walnut. NOW!

25/03/2013 at 23:16

G/G now you know why I walked around with permanent black eye's when Joan was around.

Frank.

25/03/2013 at 23:34

She sounds like my kind of woman! You were very lucky.

26/03/2013 at 06:57

Frank what is your take on a good lemon drizzle cake? Chilli -as in with rice. Didn't overdo it so kids were grateful that they could eat it this time  GG coffee and walnut- mmmmm lovely was my mum's favourite. I love a bit of shortbread - my national delicacy i suppose- but have never made it. Like my dad I do love a good fruit cake. Happy chomping peeps 

26/03/2013 at 07:07

Fairygirl, I've made and consumed lots of shortbread. Hence my weekly visit to Fat Club! Ditto coffee and walnut cake.

Why is it that the same magazine (not GW) will print cookery recipes for delicious and fattening foods and, a few pages away, print stringent diets? Their health section will print articles on nutrition and the dangers of overweight while they accept advertisements for chocolate. No wonder I'm confused! In fact, I read a book about different types of dieters (easier than actually dieting) and did the various questionnaires involved. I emerged officially classified as a confused dieter who knows lots of facts about dieting but, when it comes to putting it onto practice, does not know her a&*£ from her elbow.

Rant for the day!

26/03/2013 at 07:47

I sympathise GG! Know exactly what you mean hence my hillwalking! I've always been active -worked with horses for 20 yrs before having my kids - and the walking has been the greatest enjoyment I've ever known. A solution- don't read the magazines  I'm sure you've earned the right to eat a bit of whatever you fancy when you fancy, but it's one reason why I've never made shortbread - I'd eat the whole lot  PS Did you have a little Pope mobile?  Would be good for doing the shopping on a wet day.... On a gardening note...at the risk of being very controversial...I hate hanging baskets, not that keen on bedding plants unless it's all one colour of one type and in a large pot. I like a quite masculine look-symmetrical and geometric. Don't like frilly/fussy/girly kind of planting.  I'llleabe that with you all!! I'll get me coat....

26/03/2013 at 08:01

Unfortunately, my position as assistant Pope is unpaid and warrants only an old bike I'm too unfit to ride.

Don't read the magazines? DON'T READ THE MAGAZINES?!! Sacrilege! I am completely hooked!

Result - a head stuffed with unrelated facts and ideas - mental cotton wool. (What a picture of my life I must present - hours spent reading magazines and posting on this forum...)

Anyway, off to Fat Club and then lunch with a proxy daughter - an old pupil. Well I suppose she really is quite old, now! So, another really good gas. My idle, unproductive, lovely life!

26/03/2013 at 08:14

That should say I'll leave that with you all...sorry

26/03/2013 at 08:51

Good Morning all , I used to dislike people who would come to work dying with head colds and passing their Germans on to unsuspecting fellow workers , now I don't care!.

Derek

clogherhead wrote (see)

Because we as Adults are so polite and are reluctant in some cases to confront these people who have no regard for the health and safety of others that we suffer with Snotty noses , coughs, and General nausea while making grunts and groans at our misfortune of getting a cold or worse FLU

Derek

I felt a rant coming on with the above text and thought that if I wrote any more I would be gave out to .

While I was in work it always amazed me the amount of time some person would come to work with sniffles ,the majority of the people I worked with were Men the women where confined if that's the right word to offices away from the heavy work that was railway engineering but anyway back to my rant most of these men where Married and because there better half's didn't want them at home getting under their feet they would Send to work and spread their sickness on every one else ARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH

Derek

26/03/2013 at 08:59

For the attention of Greentooth

Verdun wrote (see)
The,normal busy lizzies have no resistance to disease, as far as i know. The new guinea and couple of newer varieties are resistant.
Clogherhead, if plants bought suffer because of disease purchasers have the right to refund or replacement. However, I would contact the supplier and raise this issue with them. Their reply would be of interest to rest of us too

greentooth wrote (see)

Here is my rant: Why are Jersey Plants Direct selling Busy Lizzy that are prone to fungus and why are is there no disclamer. I just bought 160 and have only just found out about the fungus that is killing them !!!!!

I posted your rant last night so that it might get a better response

Derek

26/03/2013 at 11:31

FairyGirl, Lemon drizzle yum though more lemon than sugar in the drizzle, G/G coffee and walnut a favourite and any straightforward cake that does not have garden vegetables added to it for some unknown reason, I think it too much of a reminder of Mr Wooltons Pie.
As to diet fads and that is what they are my advice is look at them closely, hidden sugar salt and chemicals abound. Being active all my life weight was never a problem then I seemed to pile it on. On my yearly MOT I got 11 out of ten having got rid of a full stone and not by diet simply eating less at each meal.
I have seen everything you could put in your mouth demonised at one time or another then held up on high as the wonder food of the century, baloney the lot of it.
FairyG, In Cavalry Barrakcs York when they found out I was from farming stock they gave me the 18  hand mad horse who had been very badly handled by people who should not have been anywhere near a horse. Within a week he was following me round like a dog though he would show his teeth to anyone coming near me, When the Blacksmith arrived I had to hoof him and he would stand still while the shoes were changed and luckily when I knew I was leaving he went to a good home retired, animals like humans respond to kindness and a firm hand, take note G/G.

26/03/2013 at 12:54
26/03/2013 at 12:55
Frank, your reference to the thieving birds who stole your grub in Egypt, the name you called them is the same name that India gives to the Red Kite. As they are now probably the most common bird in the Chilterns, does that mean I will have to guard my food when ( when....!) I sit in the garden in the summer sun?