London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
26/03/2013 at 13:12

Better day today hes gone to work. Todays rant. One of my beloved cats brought yet another mouse in so i got out the humane mouse trap , put peanut butter in it and put under kitched cupboard to catsh the blighter. Have removed trap today to find the peanut butter eaten but no mouse. Think i will to resort to proper traps and not be such a ninny about taking the dead bodies out if it. Oh for a cat that will actually kill the bl...... things

26/03/2013 at 14:01

Dmball, We normally ate a breakfast just before the sun came racing up (now that was a sight I never got sick of watching, one minute black next minute sun).
Tiffin was a very light snack around eleven and then if possible we got in any shade we could, not easy with the sun directly above and tried to rest. The evening meal was after sundown so the Kite Hawks only had the Tiffin to go at and they would literally fly under a stretched canopy snatch the food from your plate and be gone, it was so fast you only realised after they had gone. So yes they will have your food unless they have nets strung.
Supper if in base would be many bottles of Stella and if out patrolling a bottle we had hidden in an ammo locker.
I was never bothered by mosquito's though we slept under nets anyway, out on guard we would wear long trews and sleeved shirts, the lads would be batting the things off and I was never bothered by them. The same in Scotland, when they were all being eaten alive by midges I was always clear of them.
We actually got on well with the people and they would give us information about the hard liners who they did not want in the villages, in return we turned a blind eye to some things and did not wreck everything searching. I had meals with some of the contractors in their homes and the food was good. I got to a banquet in Port Said and that was an eye opener and then some. A local return group have asked me to go back with them a couple of times but too many bad memories plus I never go back to most places as it is never the same.

Frank.

26/03/2013 at 14:07

Maud, get a shot gun that scatters the little b err blighters, you can stick chewing gum in the holes made in the cabinets, it also gets rid of mice as well as the cats. "Oops" sorry that is me definitely not a cat lover talking, I would feed the mice.

Of well we are all different. Frank.

26/03/2013 at 14:14
Interesting times Frank - I found the majority of the people out there to be fine people. Two different people though - Arabs along the Med, and Nubians way up the Nile at Luxor and beyond - very gentle and shy people, except when they were trying to sell you something!
Several of my uncles served in Egypt and North Africa during the Second World War, and some of their stories made my hair curl - lets just say I would never turn my back on most of these people ( ...apologies for this generalisation to anyone of Egyptian extraction reading this).

As for birds nicking your grub, nothing beats the gulls in Cornwall, places like St Ives and Mevagissy - when my 4 year-old grandson has his lunch on the beach we have to throw a blanket over his head - all we hear is munching sounds, and muttered grunts about 'pesky birds'!
26/03/2013 at 14:45

Dmball, I saw some very beautiful women among the Nubian's, the men tall and athletic all colourful, the Egyptian women we never saw they were covered head to foot back then although it seems more relaxed now. We also knew that there were many differing groups among the Arab's the Bedouin we met often out in Sinai were hard people and had to be. The Coastal area Alexandria Port Said and Tewfic we had mainly Greek and Italian populace with a scattering of Armenians, it was a mix of people probably like London now.
Sea gulls are the same where ever they are, they sit on the rails of the Quay in Whitby and snatch what they can, the same at Redcar Saltburn and Seaton all on our coast as I said we are born with one foot in the north sea.
Enjoy your holiday as my Daughter and grandchildren did, they loved it but it was before the troubles began.

Frank.

26/03/2013 at 14:52

Maud, I can relate to that! Our calico cat brought home 4 last week, 2 dead (voles), 1 baby fieldmouse I managed to catch and repatriate, 1 still running loose at the moment, traps are set.

26/03/2013 at 15:32

Used to have two cats who were brother and sister. She spent all day out hunting and bringing back allsorts and he couldn't catch a cold...vive la difference! Maud, apparently the secret is to put out lots of traps not just one as there'll never be just one mouse....We had a lot at last house as they had a run between the extension and existing part of house (old Victorian farmhouse) which ended in the electrics cupboard .. They were a right b&**%$ to get rid of but plenty traps was the key.The sonic things you plug in were a waste of time. Frank, the lemon drizzle should be with granulated sugar too then it's all crunchy. The midges...our special secret weapon here They don't bother me too much either. Had many horses and ponies where I worked that other people had messed up. Various ways to sort them but they can be sorted usually and it was very satisfying. Not ridden since I was pregnant with oldest daughter, was breaking a young horse at the time and stopped once he was backed and riding away. 19 years ago now!

26/03/2013 at 17:37

I've never sat on a horse in my life. Rode a seaside donkey when I was seven. They would stroll down to the sea then turn and gallop back for all they were worth, while you hung on desperately to the pommel. Unless you were my five year old brother, who lost his grip and slid gently over the donkey's tail and landed, stunned, on the sand. Don't think that qualifies me for training horses...

Maud and Sue, reading your stories makes me remember why I like dogs! My two bichons patrol the boundaries looking for birds invading the air space, cats using the garden walls as a short cut and small rodents nesting in the compost bins. They drive me bonkers - but suddenly I am grateful!

26/03/2013 at 17:46

GG

Sounds a bit like me on the old fashioned fairground horses! Once tried, never forgotten.

26/03/2013 at 19:35

Don't tell me you fell off!

26/03/2013 at 19:38

G/Grandma, I had a West Highland Terrier that did the same job as your dogs, we were over run by cats before he arrived and that soon changed.
One big black who could manure the garden in one go decided to try his luck, a brief quarrel and he lost scattered up the fence and sat looking at Benji, who turned walked back then took a flying charge and leaped up the fence just missing the cat who with the bounce of the fence shot up in the air turning somersaults and vanished into next doors shrubbery never to be seen again. benji got well rewarded.

Frank.

26/03/2013 at 19:48

We used to get cats sleeping in our summerhouse overnight on the sofa. The dogs could smell them and would rush to investigate the summerhouse every morning. One morning they did this - and then a cat shot out of the summerhouse at the speed of light and leapt over the six foot fence while the dogs celebrated noisily at its heels. It gave me quite a laugh and the dogs have lost interest in the summerhouse so I don't think it came back!

We used to have a Westie, Frank. They are hunting dogs and no rats or cats were too much for him. He was a character, much less soppy than bichons.

26/03/2013 at 19:56

Had Him ten years G/Grandma and loved him he would take on anything big or small if they tried anything. We walked miles he kept me fit and he loved the Lake District we went often because a lot of the Hotels allowed small dogs in the room. We would walk the lakes and boat ride back, now that he did love, up the gang plank straight up the Bows and onto the seat looking out the way we were going. Some of the boat men got to know him and made a fuss of him. They would announce on the Speaker, "Captain Benji is in charge of the boat you can see him looking for sharks or torpedo's", he was great fun and my last dog, parting with them is almost as bad as parting with a loved partner.

Frank.

26/03/2013 at 20:06

Quite agree, Frank, though thankfully I haven't experienced the latter. I'm getting too old for a new pup, should  the worst happen to my dogs, but I think I'd get a rescue dog in the same breed. There's a kennels near me that rescues unwanted breeding dogs. I'm itching to get one - but three dogs are too much even for me!

26/03/2013 at 20:34
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Don't tell me you fell off!

I was 17 and always been a scardy cat.  Went on because I felt stupid not to.  As it went faster, I started to panic and tried to get off but, of course, I couldn't.  Made a right fool of myself, blubbing and screaming and by the time the ride had finished, I was hysterical.  All my friends disowned me. Can't say I blamed them. Never been on anything since.

26/03/2013 at 21:12

I liked the horses but I remember running away from a man dressed up as a gorilla in the fairground. Even though I knew he was wearing a costume, I could not help believing he was a real gorilla!

26/03/2013 at 22:32
Dunno GG - when I was a kid and teenager I was convinced half the workers in the fairground WERE gorillas - certainly the way they chased after my sister and her friends convinced me if not gorilla, perhaps a trace of Neanderthal!
26/03/2013 at 23:02

Greentooth, I grew lots of Busy-Lizzies last year of the Walleriana sort and they were fine.

I rode and was lucky enough to have a pony when young. Then I sold it to train as a nurse in London, then I married and had 4 children. My husband didn't like horses very much. I didn't ride again until my second daughter wanted to ride and we were given a rescue horse. Now, years later I have 2 Lusitano mares, one unrideable, one lovely. As I live in SW France I am lucky in that there is so much more spare land than in England. That's not a rant, just a reply to Fairygirl on the previous page.

26/03/2013 at 23:58
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

I liked the horses but I remember running away from a man dressed up as a gorilla in the fairground. Even though I knew he was wearing a costume, I could not help believing he was a real gorilla!

I was attending a school fete and was sitting with friends on the grass.  At the time I was wearing a wig as I had lost all my hair from alopecia.  This clown had a huge comb and was attempting to comb people's hair,  Most unhygienic.  Unfortunately, he made a beeline for me.  Told him that if he touched by bl..dy hair I wouldn't be responsible for my actions. My 'best' friend was convulsed with laughter.

27/03/2013 at 05:44

Tina I admire your assertiveness. I was a mouse! But what what a horrible condition alopecia is, especially for someone young. I hope it got better.

One of the enviable things about France is the space. My daughter in law spent many summers in France as a girl and is a real francophile and a fluent French speaker. My French is definitely of the pidgin variety. The closest I ever got to a horse was the fairground horses, which I actually loved because they fed my fantasy of riding real horses. How fabulous to have Lusitano horses. Why is one unrideable?