London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
27/03/2013 at 17:48
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Well, hello Pentillie! You make me feel like calling myself Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

That's easy for you to say......... It's ok GG I forgive you...it's just 'mountain envy' cos ours are bigger than yours   All this talk of toilets....Cairo- ye gods!

27/03/2013 at 17:49

Still no notifications!!!!!

27/03/2013 at 17:58
GG - Pentillie Castle was built 300 years ago by Sir John Coryton. His widow married James Tillie, and as the Cornish Pen means the same as the Welsh, being built high above the river, the name becomes self-explanatory.
During and after the Second World War, expectant mums were taken to Pentillie as all the hospitals in that part of Devon and Cornwall were badly damaged or full of civilian and military casualties - thus my birth cert shows Pentillie as place of birth, and what a lovely place it is, the views across to Dartmoor are lovely.
We are known as the Pentillie Babes, and the current owner, Ted Coryton, is hosting another Babes reunion day in three weeks. The castle featured a couple of times recently in the Caroline Quentin TV programme on Cornwall.
If GG changes her name to that long Welsh town we will call her LL - I will probably call her Mamm-Wynn Kembres!
27/03/2013 at 18:14
cilmeri wrote (see)

clogherhead wrote (see)

AT LONG LAST I can get a word in ,Why is it that some not all, infrequent users ask how do you do this or that   The BBC bless their hearts ,  have provided at the top of the page HOW to  lot of info  can;t go wrong ,

Derek woof woof

sterelitza wrote

Hi clogerhead, I too am an infrequent user of this site ... but... I love reading what others like me have discovered and want to know what others like me - want to know.. so to speak.  I do watch the BBC gardening programmes and have recorded a few so that I can watch them again ana again to pick up some expert tips.  But the nice thing about the gardening forum (for me at least) is reading little gems from gardeners like me who are not experts and are learning new things all the time.  Hope this explains why we ask how to do this or that.  Cheers

Thanks Sterelitza

Derek - I hope this puts your comments in perspective. Can we move on now,  as, ofcourse, Mature people... and please dont shout at me!

cilmeri wrote (see)

clogherhead wrote (see)

AT LONG LAST I can get a word in ,Why is it that some not all, infrequent users ask how do you do this or that   The BBC bless their hearts ,  have provided at the top of the page HOW to  lot of info  can;t go wrong ,

Derek woof woof

sterelitza wrote

Hi clogerhead, I too am an infrequent user of this site ... but... I love reading what others like me have discovered and want to know what others like me - want to know.. so to speak.  I do watch the BBC gardening programmes and have recorded a few so that I can watch them again ana again to pick up some expert tips.  But the nice thing about the gardening forum (for me at least) is reading little gems from gardeners like me who are not experts and are learning new things all the time.  Hope this explains why we ask how to do this or that.  Cheers

Thanks Sterelitza

Derek - I hope this puts your comments in perspective. Can we move on now,  as, ofcourse, Mature people... and please dont shout at me!

cilmeri wrote (see)

clogherhead wrote (see)

Derek woof woof

sterelitza wrote

Hi clogerhead, I too am an infrequent user of this site ... but... I love reading what o

27/03/2013 at 18:19

I honestly don't know what happened to my post,

KISS KISS KISS

Is IT Safe to amongst you now

Derek

27/03/2013 at 18:21

I will have to stop eating Onions ,I keep repeating myself

Derek

27/03/2013 at 18:24

Yes, GG but the Highlands are so beautiful, and we have a different caravan.

We have just bought a new awning and the question we ask now is 'will it stand up to a storm in the Highlands?' 

27/03/2013 at 18:43

Er, Derek, probably the attempts of my trying to 'quote'. 

You're safe...

Catch up with you on the usual threads. 

27/03/2013 at 18:45
Swiss Sue, your comment reminds me of thirtty-odd years ago in Abu-Dhabi - early morning you could look out of the window and see the Sheikh's wives going to the loo at waters edge on the beach, and when finished, no toilet paper for them, just their hands!
Ooooooh, I do love Arabia!
27/03/2013 at 18:45

TT, Just noticed your  picture it's lovely... the essense of summer 

27/03/2013 at 18:57

GG, you couldl be gogo goch, so we could then shorten you to GoGo  

or even GGG or 3G like my old iPhone

27/03/2013 at 19:35
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

Yes, GG but the Highlands are so beautiful, and we have a different caravan.

We have just bought a new awning and the question we ask now is 'will it stand up to a storm in the Highlands?' 

Depends how high up you go and how exposed...couple of hundred feet should be safe enough... On the plus side-the wind keeps the midges away.  Actually - experienced teh biggest midges ever on top of Ben Lawers (-almost 4000 ft up)which were very black and like a moving carpet!

27/03/2013 at 19:45

Probably kill me off with allergic reaction

27/03/2013 at 20:10
cilmeri wrote (see)

TT, Just noticed your  picture it's lovely... the essense of summer 

Well cilmeri, I can dream. That's about all we can do at the moment. 

27/03/2013 at 22:05
Fairygirl, I had a similar experience in the mountains above Banff in the Canadian Rockies - beautiful warm weather, but once you reached higher altitudes the midges were waiting for you! Up until then I naively thought, the Rockies, the Great Outdoors, fresh air, a break from working in smelly old London - it was all of that, but I wish somebody had warned me about the midges! Drape yourself in net curtains if you go there in summer!
27/03/2013 at 23:11

Pentillie, you have entirely put me off Arabia and the Rockies.   That's two countries off the list! It is getting shorter by the minute. The list,that is!

27/03/2013 at 23:27

G/G there is always Scotland again it appears to get washed clean whilst you are there ready for me to go enjoy the sunshine.
At Cawdor Castle my daughter came looking for me and found an Englishman a German and a Frenchman having an animated conversation sitting in glorious sunshine in the Gardens, it turned out we were all ex soldiers and as she said they were going for a walk around an American joined us it was a blissful hour although I got a burnt forehead. Tell me if you are going I will give it a miss.

Frank.

27/03/2013 at 23:41

Parts of France are beautiful, but the public loos leave a lot to be desired - if you can find one. They are gradually changing them from holes in the ground to proper loos. Rare to find loo paper. French people always have a roll of pink loo paper in their cars. The French are much less inhibited than the English and don't mind men and women sharing loos. They look on the human body as a normal thing that everyone has - which I think is quite sensible. The public loos in my local town, Périgueux, are now those self cleaning stainless steel ones, push a button to enter - but they are often out of order!

27/03/2013 at 23:42

No worries there, Frank. I won't be going!

27/03/2013 at 23:47

In France, I read that those steel loos fill with water in two minutes after you flush them and thought it meant the entire cubicle. I was in quite a rush to get out of there!