London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
61 to 80 of 1,728 messages
26/02/2013 at 14:06

Don't get me started! Lots of schoolkids pass my gate and my garden always has crisp packets and sweet wrappers in it. Why do they pick me???? And why do people whose gardens are pretty awful criticise mine??? They seem to think that the ideal garden has nothing in it!! We live in a lane that belongs to the railway company. Why don't they fix the potholes in the road??? Why did the local authority cut the tops off all the trees between the lane and the main road and make them look hideous???  Why did they give planning permission for houses to be built so close behind mine??? Why don't they let me rule the world so that I can make SENSIBLE decisions??? Don't they realise that I am the only one who knows all the answers???

26/02/2013 at 14:08

well ive had a really good laugh at all the moans just looked out the garden at the nosy cow next door to see dog ends come flying over, so collecting them all up.any ideas what to do with them? grrrrrrrrrrr

26/02/2013 at 14:22

I've got a few ideas, all unprintable.

26/02/2013 at 14:24

BTW clogherhead, speaking as the 'she who must be obeyed' of our house, your wife sounds like a good woman!

26/02/2013 at 14:52

Hi Flowering rose,the reason is quite simple really they believe that it's not there job  , after all they have you , ? would it be possible for you to organise your neighbours to maybe once a month or even twice a year to clean your road weeding the verges picking discarded rubbish up and may be offering to less able body home owners help in keeping the area in front of there homes tidy .

Derek

what do you think of that rant

26/02/2013 at 14:58

Hi GG she is when she's not there

Chica, read the" Giggler treatment " (children's book)

Derek

26/02/2013 at 15:02

Chica, I have just realised that my reply to your post sounds as though I was trying to be rude to you. My ideas for what to do with her dog ends all involve her, not you!

26/02/2013 at 15:23

Chica- I had a similar problem when staying at my parents' house. The neighbours' partner chucked his fag ends over the joint fence. I just collected them all up, in a bag, went round, knocked on door & gave them back to neighbour!! It worked, but neighbour herself was mortified & partner didnt actually live there.... J.

26/02/2013 at 15:53

How to create poetic justice without actually quarrelling or creating a feud, that's the problem. Otherwise, I could think of a few answers, such as making fairy cakes with a fag end baked in the centre of each and giving them to her, gift-wrapped. If only... Sadly, thanks to all the chemical additives, they are not even any good for composting. The only thing I can really think of is to build a bonfire on a windy day, throw on the fag ends and light it when she has washing on the line.

26/02/2013 at 16:24

Rants, sounds more like revenge, did that a few times in the army although it is not the pleasant feeling we expect.
This is a rant, Windmills erected on a lovely bit of coast well within sight of the Promenade that on the three coldest days were incapable of producing electricity because we did not have enough wind.
Green taxes because of our tiny footprint on the world when Germany are to build ten new coal fired power staions China and India using coal by the millions of tons, we are closing ours down with no back up, the rest of the world must think we have totally lost it.
Being an engineer I know the footprint of those large gear boxes filled with oil on top of the windmill towers, if they published the facts they would have mass riots on their hands, we may as well close the Country down now as it will happen sooner than we think, no chatting on laptops then, no electricity.

Frank.

26/02/2013 at 16:33

TinaTurner - don't get me started on yappy pathetic excuses for real dogs argh!

My bug bear - tenants across gardens from us (we have full view of their back dumps, sorry, gardens - rubbish areas for old tyres, knackered kids ride-ons, Not a loved plant in sight except for enornous weeds. One of these families has 3 kids and the back garden is used a dogs' toilet, so kids not even allowed out there.

They are both council tenants and it gets to me so much because I have friends in council flats stuck up on upper floors, in cramped conditions, with kids, who would give their right arm for that green space.

Surely council tenants ought to be liable for their gardens if they're lucky enough to get a house with a flipping garden?!

Rant over.

Oh and thank you Gardening G for original post!

26/02/2013 at 16:41

Great rant, Palaisglide. You're right, too. We have destroyed our own wealth by closing down our industries, including coal-production, for stupid and short-sighted reasons - short-term economies, long-term decline and loss. The issue of sustainable energy is a huge one and the only real hope is that, since necessity is the mother of invention, someone will come up with a brilliant solution in time. 

You're right about the revenge. too - but I was actually joking.

26/02/2013 at 16:47

Jess in the Garden, thanks for taking us back to gardening. You're soooo right! There's a rather debateable penalty for council tenants who have too many bedrooms. Maybe there should be a penalty for having a garden and ruining it.

26/02/2013 at 17:54

Jess, I have regularly wondered why my neighbours bought a house with a 90ft garden. The first year they were there, they dug up all the trees and shrubs and stuck a small veg patch in the middle of the grass.  Previous owner had quite a variety of small trees and we had 'shared' shrubs for years.  I still have a Staghorn Sumac and Redwood.  I just wish he had asked if I could find a home for them. 

They also leave their 3 lidless recycling boxes in the front garden! I'm such a snob. Paranoid too.

26/02/2013 at 19:02

Definitely Grandma - if only we could rule for a day eh!

Tina - What a WASTE!!! It makes me cry to see that sort of thing...

26/02/2013 at 19:52

Hi at the beginning of this rant there was a reverence to county councils ,in Ireland and I am sure its the same in the UK if tenants do not keep their rented property clean of weeds and house hold junk they can be asked by the council to clean the property or else ,

Derek

26/02/2013 at 21:13
Temporary traffic lights have sprung up all along my route to work, grrrrr! I assume it is coming up to the financial year end and they are trying to spend the leftover money. It wouldn't be too bad if they were filling some of the potholes in, but they will probably be just causing some more.
26/02/2013 at 22:32

reading about all the moans and groans about life (the dog shits on my lawn) (the cat shits in my flowerbed)(my next door neighbour wont cut his/her hedge)(the times i walk up the lane and get poked in the eye by someones hedge over growing)(the smell thats coming from next doors garden)(the dogs barking)(the chickens clukking)(the kids playing to loud)(the council dont do enough)(late night parties)(i wish the person next door to me would do something about their garden)!

COMON! LETS GET REAL!

26/02/2013 at 22:41

This is the moan and groan thread, Marty! What do you expect? The basic premiss is that getting it off your chest is good for you and can generate a bit of humour and good fellowship along the way. Let's face it, dog and cat poo, irritating neighbours and noise pollution and mess are a large part of the stuff of real life for lots of people.

However, if you want to have your MOB moment by moaning and groaning about other people moaning and groaning, that's fine and belongs on this thread.

26/02/2013 at 22:46

hear hear Grandma!

61 to 80 of 1,728 messages