London (change)
Today 27°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
31/03/2013 at 14:47

Started this on another thread and realised this is the correct one.

Comments were made about allotted car parking spaces, ie, Mum's with babies, etc.  These were, of course, needed, when these special baby car seats came into being.  Need to be able to open the door wide enough to get seat with baby out.  However, do they really need to be so close to the doors of the supermarket?  Why is these days that everything is centred round parents with young kids?

'In the olden days' we Mums never took kids with us to shop.  I would look after friend's kids and she would look after mine.  Happy situation, kids were happy, mums were happy and other shoppers happy.  Why does a whole family need to do supermarket shopping?  Why is the shopping precinct full of families over the weekend or Bank Holidays. Kids a pain in the neck, parents shouting - or is this just where I live?

I sound like an old grouch but I'm very fed up with the way Senior Citizens are knocked all the time and everything now seems to be centred around how to improve the life of people with young families.  We had to do it on our own so why can't they.

I'm strong.  I can take your criticism.  Feel free

Derek, great to know that you have got out of the ratrace.

31/03/2013 at 14:54

If councils want to revive town centres they'll have to reduce rent and rates and provide free parking. Even then most shops will not survive unless they also sell online. That's why it is not a simple choie between online shopping and using the local shops. Supermarkets are cheaper (some of the time, anyway) and are a quick one-stop destination for busy working women. As Frank says, change is part of life and usually not reversible. We'll see how rising unemployment and the consequent need to be self-employed affects things.

Our local town centre is in serious decline and is now a place of pound shops, charity shops, banks, building societies , pubs and cafes. It is dirty and shabby and only the poor, sick and long-term unemployed hang around there for long. Just a mile from my house, there's a McArthur Glen outlet which is attractive and has quality shops. There are also two other out of town shopping areas. But at weekends the town centre fills up with youngsters drinking and some taking drugs. There have been three fairly recent murders and quite a lot of suicides among youngsters. It is a jungle out there, as the song says. Strikes me that the best thing would be for it to revert to being a residential area safe and decent for people to live in. I stayed in Jerusalem a couple of years ago on Jewish Independence Day, in an Arab area, and it felt quite a lot safer than our town centre on a Friday night.

31/03/2013 at 15:32

There is no case whatsoever for supermarkets to allocate the nearest carpark spaces to the fit mums and dads with children If they need more space to open the doors then go to the far reaches of the carpark which fill up last. Moreover they are young enough to walk the extra distance, and which isn't that far anyway. The irrefutable logic of carpark layout has to be based on the ability to walk from car to shop i.e. disabled spaces nearest, OAP spaces next, then the rest, furthest away. 

TT you are absolutely correct about how young families are mollycoddled these days. We can all remember how our own parents coped brilliantly in the 1940's, 1950's etc without ant preferential treatment and none of the labour saving devices.

Seems to me that some form of culture change is overdue.

31/03/2013 at 15:42

Culture change is happening fast, WW. That's the trouble! It can't be reversed, either, though it can move forwards to a better balance betwen the older values and the new. We have a culture of 'doing what is right for you' and also a culture of entitlement. I believe in social equality and I am a lifetime labour voter, but I regret to say that this culture is the result of the welfare state. Hard work and self-reliance are now foreign to a proportion of our population, who feel that life should be easy.

31/03/2013 at 16:39

Re families shopping with their kids, I'm an OAP with the whole day at my disposal, so I try to do my shopping when they are least likely to be around, mostly around lunch time when everyone is fooding!

31/03/2013 at 16:42
Everything nowadays seems to be geared to 'kids', horrible expression - with the Mad Women on the school runs driving like lunatics to get to the school on time, (don't worry about the other children wandering everywhere), and yeah, families having a day out in the supermarket, running screaming in the aisles of B & Q, and I'm sure some of them take a picnic lunch! Final straw is when I see restaurants and pubs advertising 'kids eat free' - no they b...dy don't - you and I are paying for them!

My three grandchildren are lovely, and luckily,well behaved and bright ( ages are 3, 5 and 10 ), but their parents, my son and daughter, and their husband and wife, are just as self-indulgent as most decent modern parents; totally different mind-sets now to earlier days.
I'm back to 'the good old days' moan, but despite the hardships, people were more self-reliant, disciplined, and basically sensible compared to now.

What an old misery I am today - we must start a 'happy days' thread of some sort!
31/03/2013 at 16:42

G/G, think of the changes in our lifetime, how we all wanted change, it took time but we got there so who says change must stop because we are satisfied.
All the stuff we threw out after the war and the need for new and modern, that stuff we did sling is now worth a fortune because people want it, to them it is twee and up to date?
Town centres are gone unless we get a transport system (Trams) from door to town and back, that would bring the Town centres back to life or move the masses of people they moved from town centres back again, that is happening very slowly, will the shops catch up?
My Grandchildren have far differing needs to us older generations and they will progress into a world we would be lost in, as long as I can live my life out in peace and some tranquility then so be it.
Frank.

31/03/2013 at 16:50
Lovely final sentence Frank.
31/03/2013 at 17:00

Pentillie - not an old misery at all.  You are merely saying what many others think, myself included.  Have to admit I am a culprit in using the term 'kids'.  Will try to do better.

I have a primary school within spitting distance of me and over the years have noticed the decline in their behaviour.  Mums spread across the path, children running riot in your path and not a word said.  Of course, they are on the way to their people carriers, all parked as close as can be to the school. 

I feel fortunate that my youngest grandchildren are being brought up with the values instilled in my daughter and it is noticed.  Last week they both received a 'Respect' badge in assembly given to pupils who show same to their peers and teachers.  We were very proud.  18 year old grandson brought up by me, so I know he is well grounded, well as an 18 year old can be!  So far, he has been great.

31/03/2013 at 17:10

Frank, it is true that, as society changes, older people can feel like dinosaurs, because we find it difficult to adjust. Also younger people don't need the same pace of life as we do. They like excitement and stimulation. Lots of changes were good. There has been greater prosperity, so that even many people officially below the poverty line have telephones, televisions and are adequately dressed and warm. When I was young, 3% of the population went to university. Now, around a third of young people have a degree.  I'm not minimising the problems, just pointing out that few now live as my husband did as a child, wearing hand me down trousers with patches on the patches and shoes with cardboard in the soles and no toys or books for Christmas - and his father was employed. He was the village policeman and his family owned the local pottery.

31/03/2013 at 17:11

Pentille, that notice says Eat kids free, in the words of a great comic, "do you like kids" "yes but I could not eat a whole one" and how I wished at times.

Frank.

31/03/2013 at 22:59
Not recommended - probably all taste of burger, pizza , and fries, with subtle hints of coca cola.
31/03/2013 at 23:21

Swiss Sue...a great time to shop is around 2.30- 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The shops empty as they all shoot off on the reverse school-run.

GG I agree that the me,me, me culture has a lot to answer for. This started in the 1980s with Thatcher and her gang. Everyone seems to conveniently ignore that many of our current problems have deep roots going back to then , including the financial meltdown a few years ago. However that's not to say that everything was great before then. The real problem now stems from Blair and Brown failing to take proper advantage of the longest and most benign period of economic prosperity in our lifetime. They blew it. And the current crowd...well I am speechless. Goodnight.

01/04/2013 at 08:10

Wasn't on here last night- was too busy taking my kids out to eat free...

You've all been having a right good go haven't you!!!

Frank/Dad -think it was WC Fields who said it..use the phrase  frequently myself 

Tina I think it was me that started the thing about the carparking spaces for 'parent and child'. I often wanted to park there when I took Dad to the shops...well they were nearer the door than most of the disabled spaces he was entitled to use and since he'd broken his hip I often felt ready to take on some of these lazy mothers with their lazy weans (that's kids Pentillie!!) . I agree the wider space is good when you're trying to get different children out of a car but as I said - have they all lost the use of their legs?

And don't get me going on the way people park in these car parks...

WW you are so right about the me me me thing. I hope we can get back to a stage where people try to think about someone other than themselves now and again. When I moved in here recently the lady next door put a card through the door to say hello. The same happened when I'd moved into a rented house temporarily 15 months ago. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt- doesn't always work but I couldn't be any other way. The kindness shown to me on this forum bears that out.

I'm off to work now...can't all sit about getting the day off you know..!

01/04/2013 at 08:50

Have to admit, I've called children 'kids' all my life, perhaps because I used to tease classes with affectionate insults involving this word. Sounds horrible when I write it down, but if kids..er...pupils like and trust you, it raises a smile and warms up the atmosphere. This was when I was not breathing fire. Then I called them other things!

Seems to me that the reason that parent/toddler spaces are near the door is that young families spend more than older people, on average, and so supermarkets are (obviously) keen to attract them.

01/04/2013 at 09:01

Doesn't say toddler says child. Therefore if I take my mum shopping I can park there. Nobody said there was age limits

01/04/2013 at 09:13

Good Thinking, Blackest!!

01/04/2013 at 09:57
Being a bit of a perverse b....r I have been tempted in the past to try and get my hands on a young goat, and take it for lunch at the local Beefeater pub. The goat would probably like a large fillet steak, with loads of trimmings, and a nice pint; I would have just a small salad and a glass of water.

But,knowing goats, he would probably change his mind and want mine - but,that's life - and,hey,it could work out as a very cheap lunch indeed.

Wonder if the small print in their Conditions covers that one? !
01/04/2013 at 09:59

He's have to have a kids' meal, Pentillie!

01/04/2013 at 10:35
Shucks, another good idea down the drain - and they'd only serve him lemonade!