London (change)
Today 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
02/04/2013 at 10:14

I have graves all over my garden.  Numerous rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and a huge Koi. which still bears a cross marking its grave.  My son was so upset when it died.  Also have a snake, Prucilla, bought by same son but who, without me, would never have survived (the snake)!  I used to have to keep mice in my freezer to defrost and feed her.  The things you do for children. (Note, did not use the term 'kids').

I will not get started on cats except to say that I detest the ginger tom who lives next door.  My garden is his territory.  He has ruined where all my alpines are planted, despite me putting rose cuttings down. 'Nuff said.

02/04/2013 at 10:33

My Grandchildren's venture into Rabbit keeping was the usual three months then neglect, Joan who kept and loved rabbits as a child rescued it although their Dad told them Granddad would be eating it once it was fat enough, true if Joan had not threatened to cut off my working parts, I never knew she was a mechanic. That rabbit had a long and lovely life following Joan like a dog and if we were out in the garden would sit between her feet sunning himself, he knew where he was well of.
Various Hamsters Gerbils and other animals came home for school holidays and went back much fitter than they came as did many plants.
Being brought up on a farm where my Uncle would never kill any animal that had given good service I was taught to respect and love them but with our own when the time came to restock the larder I had no qualms at all including rabbits.

Frank.

02/04/2013 at 10:45

My Dad kept chickens and rabbits after the War.  I remember there being 2 lovely black rabbits.  I also remember my Dad killing them.  It was if one knew what was going to happen and kept up the most awful noise which upset my Dad too, but they were food.  I never ate them then or since.

02/04/2013 at 15:55

I doubt that i would still be here if it wasnt for my cats. 20 years ago i was bedridden, i had a 4 year daughter to look after. I had to go into hoaspital for major surgery on my back and my daughter stayed with my parents. I was heartbroken i couldnt look after her myself. I had 3 cats at the time, they kept me compant when i was alone at home and feeling b@@@ awful. Luckily the operation worked and the next one did. Looks like im heading for more work on my spine and i know who will be with me when everyone is at work or college. Yes my 3 cats.

I do understand that people dont like cats poohing but we all do it.

02/04/2013 at 16:07
Maud is in the garden wrote (see)

I do understand that people dont like cats poohing but we all do it.

Maud -I just don't do it in the garden that's all...!

I had 2 cats (brother and sister) when my girls were young and we had a neighbour who's older daughter of 11 had M.E. My female cat had to be put down as she had cancer and would have needed a leg removed which I wouldn't have inflicted on her. The male cat attached himself to this little girl who spent a lot of time in bed and he was her constant companion. Long story short, the neighbour decided to return to England so that her Mum could  help her with the daughter and so we gave her our cat . She loved him so much and he was a bit lost without his sister and so we felt it was a good thing to do. The look on that little girls face told us we were right- hard though it was. He loved all the cuddling he got from her and he lived a good number of years happily with them. I know lots of people don't like cats but those 2 gave me a lot of pleasure so I understand totally how you feel.

02/04/2013 at 20:03

These are lovely stories! Thanks for posting them, everyone. (Sorry if I sound like the Queen addressing her subjects, I don't know how else to put it!) It just shows the great role that pets play in people's lives. Mine are wonderful company and provide a lovely cuddle when I miss my grandchildren, who moved away some time ago after living across the road from me.  I can't overdramatise this when my friend Pam has two grandchildren in Oz and two in New Zealand. Mine are only a four hour drive away. The doggy cuddles are a nice substitute, that's all. They say that dogs are OAP's babies!

02/04/2013 at 20:19

Feel free, Brumbull. Perhaps  I should change my nickname? And start addressing the nation with pearls of wisdom? Referring to myself as 'we'?

02/04/2013 at 20:21
Brumbull wrote (see)
GG ............. lol, shall I address you, your majesty ?

Brum 

02/04/2013 at 20:50
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Feel free, Brumbull. Perhaps  I should change my nickname? And start addressing the nation with pearls of wisdom? Referring to myself as 'we'?

Should that not be 'one'? 

And you can go out without carrying any money of course!!

02/04/2013 at 21:02

Cotty.......... your ignorance and anger amazes me.  I love nature, wildlife, animals  and would never consider putting poison down to kill some ones pet. Shame on you.

02/04/2013 at 21:36

Hear, hear, hollie hock! I suggest he reads this:

Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2tZUG8cpQ

One of his tips is lightly burying teabags sprayed with muscle spray (as you probably know, it stinks)! I'm going to try this myself, and they're my own cats!

02/04/2013 at 21:41
Done the tea bags sprayed with Ralgex, and it works. Saving tea bags at the moment for the next batch! Only method so far that works - cats seem to have disappeared ( hopefully back to their own b....y gardens!)
02/04/2013 at 22:12

I noticed a couple of posts today by people I have never heard of which have been quite aggressive. Makes you wonder...

02/04/2013 at 22:31

Well, that's a new one to try.  Bet the ginger tom from next door will probably love them!! Just going to put a note in the kitchen and Ralgex is on my list. Tried everything else.

Those posters are not worth bothering about.  I wonder what they get out of it really.  Must lead a sad life.

02/04/2013 at 22:36

True, TT.

02/04/2013 at 23:26

Rant, my lodger dog a Corgy pretending to be a Jack Russel got to my evening paper before I did tonight, picking up the resultant mess I told him his ears would be fried for breakfast should it happen again.
Knowing he was in trouble he hid, then spowly clambered up on the back of my arm chair and licked my ears, I never could stay mad for long.

Frank.

02/04/2013 at 23:27

Rant, what is the matter with spell check it appears to be talking Chinese.

Frank.

03/04/2013 at 08:25

Frank/Dad- that's why I don't use it! Heaven knows what my posts would look like...although they probably wouldn't be any worse than they already are! 

Tina have you tried putting a sign up saying 'keep off'?  Off to work now

Enjoy the ranting- I'll no doubt think of one while I'm there 

03/04/2013 at 10:46

Fairygirl/Daughter, the one and only reason I use spell check is because it gives me a sense of beaten the b@#@#@# when the box comes up saying "there are no spelling mistakes in your post". The neighbours although detached and out at work this time of day probably hear my yell of "got you you s@~@" as you get older pleasures get simpler. Well that is my excuse!!!

Frank.

03/04/2013 at 11:39

Frank.

I'd like to echo whoever it was who ranted  about cheap shops selling plants and not watering them. In the local pound shop I rescued two pots of hyacinths - 3 to a pot and just coming up - which were as dry as a bone. Wish I'd bought the lot!