London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
101 to 120 of 1,728 messages
27/02/2013 at 18:12

its not really agro as such frank its just a moan and no doubt when it really comes down to it,we all have to get on with people our neigbors included as for northeners being more friendly well who knows as my family were all from up north i cant say as im a cockney,through and through but now live in devon

27/02/2013 at 18:23

GG I don't know what we have done. We sent a card when we moved in. We being me and my children, one of which is Autistic. We keep to ourselves very much and they told the mediator that we were snobs - possibly because we don't have Devon accents, I am ex-RAF and was out of Devon for more than 10 years so lost my accent. At least we are not the only neighbours who have problems with him but he is on the neighbourhood council which makes things more difficult and we've had to get the police involved at times. We have web cameras with sound now which is really really sad. 

27/02/2013 at 18:27

We had super neighbours when we bought our first house in 1973. We couldn't move in staight away because it needed doing up, so we went round evenings and weekends after work and they lent us tools, brought round cups of tea and gave us daffodils from their garden. Then when we had babies they baby sat. We've sent each other newsletters with Christmas cards every year ever since, but this year there was nothing from them. They must be well into their 80s, I wonder if they are still around.

27/02/2013 at 18:32

thats nice busy-lizzie to here a nice story,i dident really understand muvs dashwood comment about losing his devon accent can anyone enlighten me?

27/02/2013 at 19:15

Oh Mavs, how awful for you.  Even though I moan about the state of next door's tip, we get on really well.  They are a lovely family with two very well brought up lads. Did have a family I had problems with but, fortunately, they didn't stay long.  Some folk are strange aren't they.  Not me, of course,

27/02/2013 at 21:16

Nor me, Tina! All those people who think I am odd are entirely wrong! 

27/02/2013 at 22:28

Chica, the forces tend to take on a mixed accent a bit of everything. i was Army a Son and Daughter RAF and another Son Army we all tend to have a sort of flat accent when we talk together which is not exactly the accent we were born with. The funny thing is I can always detect part of the original accent in a person and usually to within a few miles of their birth place, I suppose it is my musical ear "err" I mean both of them of course.
G/Grandma I was stationed in Bridgend, Rhyl, Pembroke and the Tank firing ranges on the West coast, I know the Welsh Girls are very friendly but then met the Welsh Dragon's their mothers.

Frank.

27/02/2013 at 22:32

thank you for that palaisglide you are very talented,not many can do that

27/02/2013 at 22:39

Just how friendly were these Welsh girls, Palaisglide?

27/02/2013 at 22:42

GG, I have reached the stage in life when what others think of me is of no consequence.  I try to avoid self opinionated folk and hope I am tolerant of other's views/opinions.  Perhaps that's something that comes with age.  Saves a lot of ill feeling.  I like to be good to myself!

27/02/2013 at 22:53

Good for you, Tina. I like to listen to what people say and to think about whether they are right, because that is the way to learn. It does make one vulnerable and I think maybe I have an overactive conscience. However, I have a sense of mischief and like a chuckle and that gives me back my sense of proportion.

27/02/2013 at 23:00

Hi Flowering Rose, What a great pity ,

Derek

27/02/2013 at 23:08
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Just how friendly were these Welsh girls, Palaisglide?

I never tell tales out of school where the ladies are concerned, I was a dancer and in Bridgend that counted for a lot.
Dark haired fire in her eye's Nesta took me home for Sunday Lunch with the family, a roast Yorkshires the lot ( and very good Yorkshires too) sitting round the table after lunch mother suddenly looked me square in the eye and said "if you are going to marry our Nesta you will have to move here" WHAT who mentioned marriage "yikes" and Nesta sitting there saying nothing with a wicked look in her eye.
Two weeks later on the Monday the guard got me up early said pack all your gear sign out and collect your rail warrant you are moving. I was on the early train out of Wales to Hampshire, no goodbye's and no further contact and at the first camp dance met a lovely Geordy girl then met her twin sister at another camp dance later in the week, that got very interesting too.

Frank.

28/02/2013 at 07:39

You dog! Sounds as though you had a lot of fun in our young days! Funnily enough, I know a Nesta.... Only joking! Should I now stat a rant about the intentions of footloose young men?

Do you remember where in Bridgend you were stationed?

28/02/2013 at 08:59
Getting back to rants, I really get annoyed when I am listening to jazzfm on DAB and it just goes off air! I have got two radios and it does it on both of them so it can't be the radios. It's really annoying......same as when you watch telly .....but that's another story. All this new high tech stuff is good while it works, but there is a lot of times when it doesn't.....computers crashing is a good example. Feel better now, thanks GG.
28/02/2013 at 09:16

Oooh, while we're ranting about technology I'll break out my soap-box. What makes me grrrr is the tendency of computers and the like to anticipate what you are about to do and leap in to take over - remember the ghastly paperclip in Word? At least you could turn it off. It's just got worse since then.

On a similar note I went to buy a new cooker a few years ago and the salesman was pointing out buttons you could press to cook a roast dinner, bake a potato, cook a sponge, or whatever. I said 'I already know how to cook!' What really bothers me is that youngsters who don't know how, won't learn if all they ever do is press a button then if the electronics go down they'll be totally stuck.

Flo leaps nimbly off soap box picks it up and walks away muttering  

28/02/2013 at 10:03
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

You dog! Sounds as though you had a lot of fun in our young days! Funnily enough, I know a Nesta.... Only joking! Should I now stat a rant about the intentions of footloose young men?

Do you remember where in Bridgend you were stationed?

I do indeed G/Grandma smack in the middle of town, the REME had a workshop in what must have been a Garage at one time, we lived one side of the main road and worked in buildings the other side.
I was told to be careful the first day I arrived, "these Welsh girls boyo just want to get out of the valleys see like" "err right" and off I went to the weekly dance and forgot it all. We would go to Porthcawl some Saturdays there was a big dance hall there and the beach came in handy. Dancing in those days was the in thing and as I had danced from being 11 watching my parents Competition dancers I knew how, it was a big come on especially for the older girls who just loved to dance and could. Nesta, ( I met another Nesta in Rhyl) was a real Welsh dark haired bright eyed full of fun girl and I did miss her but Soldiers moved on and left many a girl behind them, they probably shrugged and on to the next.

Flo, a month or so back my oven packed up so Daughter and I went to the local supplier, hundreds of the things standing in rows. Daughter started at the £1200 end I started at the £3/7/6 end and we met with bright young lady and Daughter trying to sell me an all singing and dancing oven. Holding my hands up for silence I said "you turn it on, you cook you turn it off, I have plenty of timers so why would I need all the knobs and things" they gave in but it still cost me £480.

Frank.

28/02/2013 at 10:13

mornin all  . is just my wife or are all women ,when it come's close to spring they go out and spend money on paint and wall paper, soft furnishings , for instance 2 weeks ago she who must be obeyed drags me off to Harvey Normans to look at leather suites  she invites me to sit in a couple she interested in and then buys a 3 and 2 seat-er  sofa they arrive 3days later and she fills them with cushions so when I want to sit on one you have to remove them to find a place for your bum and she thinks im mad, that's it daily rant over .

Derek

28/02/2013 at 10:25

Not me Derek , id rather be in the garden

28/02/2013 at 12:34

Me neither!  I'm more likely to drag OH off to Garden Centre .  The inside of the house doesn't get a lot of attention between March and October

101 to 120 of 1,728 messages