London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
16/05/2013 at 17:39

Will go and check it out Tina. The posts aren't available to order online- typical -so it may well be that you're  right. It'll certainly be more than £50.

Tina- pills...I'm sure I don't know what you mean..

These calls are relentless aren't they. I used that 'who phoned me' site and got the names of some of them.  I actually phoned one of them and told them if they phoned again the next call I made would be to the lawyer, then Watchdog  and MP and Sunday Papers. Most of them are Manchester based so I don't answer the calls if it's 0161.

16/05/2013 at 17:45

TG, they might make my hair stand on end!!

The only calls I get, which are rare, are automated ones.  Did sign up for TPS (think that's right), some years back and it has proved to be very successful. Famous last words.

16/05/2013 at 18:01

Yeh- did the TPS thing too but they get round it by saying it's market research.

Day after I moved in here I got a call....only people who had the number were Sky because I'd changed to them from BT.

Unbelievable!

17/05/2013 at 06:49

Fairygirl,

I.m not 60+ yet either,but luckily husband is!.

17/05/2013 at 12:01

TPS only works for UK based companies, if they're based in India or elsewhere they're not bound by the same rules. 

You need to be careful when using websites, as some of them opt you in, and you have to email them to opt out of third-party marketing.  Trouble is, by the time you've found their opt-out email address they've already sold your phone number and email address several times over.

We used to give the phone to the parrot for PPI/Double Glazing/Insulation type calls.  "Hello, hello, give us a kiss! Are you being a Bugger?!  Oh F***ing F*** it!"  Strangely enough by the time we'd stopped laughing, they'd hung up.  Maybe they'd figured out she didn't have any money of her own, and was unable to sign a contract.

17/05/2013 at 12:39

This week alone I have had three of the "This is an urgent announcement" kind another telling me I was due free loft insalution and one for my Wife from a woollen firm she used many years ago, I think I left that caller in tears as I explained we put the Wedding flowers on her plot last week.
The phone to me is a menace and mobiles downright dangerous, I have posted a rant on the weather board about that. At least four crashes on the A19 this year have been because people were using mobiles, they think they can concentrate on the call instead of the driving. In the car my phone goes in the glove box and stays there until I get where I am going, usually then getting two or three calls from Daughter asking where I have been, well driving of course, the only time I do not multi task!!!

Frank.

17/05/2013 at 13:42

I so agree with you Frank about mobile phone use in cars.  It really bothers me when mine use them but say they are hands free.  I am still of the opinion that you cannot have a phone conversation and concentrate on the road.  It's not the same as chatting to a passenger where they are aware when to shut up. Call me old fashioned but that's my view. 

I watched a programme the other night about youngsters being videoed whilst driving, without them knowing.  Newish drivers with passengers.  Made my hair curl.  Long time ago I know and I was 32 when I decided to drive, but I needed total silence at first so I could keep my mind on what I was doing. 

17/05/2013 at 14:22

Tina, I am with you, driving needs full concentration at all times, more so these days as the roads are full of idiots who read maps, papers, change discs then select the tracks all whilst NOT watching the road.
I have driven vehicles from a young age, Dad had a haulage business so crash gear boxes, direct steering, rod and cable brakes taught me that you watch it at all times. I think the actual moving of the vehicle has got too easy yet the driving conditions much harder.
I refuse to be forced into escape situations and looking well up the road you can see them coming, I reduce speed and drop back, let them get on with it, then some moron will be flashing and beeping at you for doing the actual speed limit, that will be the one being pulled from a mangled vehicle five miles further on. Madness.

Frank.

17/05/2013 at 14:49

I had someone run in the back of me because she was lighting a cigarette. too busy watching the flame on the end of the cig to notice I had stopped in the queue for the island.

17/05/2013 at 14:59

Different rant,but also car related,we parked in town on the side of the road today and two spaces up from us someone had obviously opened their door,dumped the remants of a Mc Donalds meal and associated rubbish and driven off.

17/05/2013 at 15:01

MMP you made me laugh when you said you passed the phone to the parrot. I've asked my dog to 'speak' at times when these phone calls come in but he hasn't got the vocabulary of your parrot.

17/05/2013 at 15:36

Frank,  I gave up my car in the end as I began to feel so intimidated by other drivers.  It made me nervous and I realised I could cause an accident by being hesitant.  Do miss it sometimes when I feel like a trip to the GC or any of these out of town stores, but with a little bus now stopping right outside my door (hail and ride) and cabs, I have got by.  Online shopping is great. 

Just a bit reliant on the whims of my kids 

KEF
17/05/2013 at 17:43

MMP loved the parrot story.  Cals after 6pm my friend says I'm eating my evening meal give me your home number and I'll ring you later when you're eating. They usually hang up. Mum  ( after grooming by us) says "sorry she's not in I'm the maid"..LOL they usually go away.

18/05/2013 at 21:00

Just got back from hol and catching up on the forum. Loved the parrot story, MMP! I do have a talking dog (he sounds like Scooby Doo when trying to alert us to his desire to play games/eat/go for walkies). Wonder if he'd deal with unwanted calls?

Why do so many of these so-called 'information' calls come when we are eating our midday meal? I suppose the answer is that someone is trying to make an extra bob or two in their lunch hour.

21/05/2013 at 16:41

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/tell-me-more1.jpg

Is this the correct response to telephone salespersons?

21/05/2013 at 16:45

Haha GG that's made my day 

21/05/2013 at 16:53

Brilliant GG.

21/05/2013 at 17:21

That did make me laugh GG!! Do you think we could invent a way to send it to them all??

I can't repeat on here what I intend saying to the next one that calls me....

It's the ones that phone at night when you've just sat down to your dinner...

21/05/2013 at 17:31

Rarely get them but someone had the sheer audacity to call at 9.40 yesterday morning.    Really!!    Fancy calling halfway through the night. 

21/05/2013 at 17:39

Tina...