London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
21/05/2013 at 19:50

I just say"that sounds really interesting I must get a pen" and then leave the phone off the hook next our very loud ticking clock,it is espexciaslly effective if it happens to be when it chimes.Strangely no-one is there when I pick it up 15 mins later.

21/05/2013 at 22:23

OK what will stop those plastic bags asking for clothes being pushed through the letter box, today I have had three. How many old clothes do they think I have, some of mine are only fifteen years old, hardly run in yet???

Frank.

22/05/2013 at 06:59

Have you noticed on these bags how very little per tonne they actually give to the charity? it fetches about £400 a tonne yet some are only giving £70.

Frank,I use the unwanted bags to cover my coats etc or for rubbish.Agree there are far too many,Your "old clothes " can hardly be called old at only 15 years,they are merely "middle aged"

22/05/2013 at 10:06

Gilly, "Middle aged"??? I cast Nasturtiums at that statement, middle aged indeed they are nearly new??
The thing is Gilly I have two wardrobes full of them, everything gets dropped in the wash basket at night and all fresh clothes after my morning shower, I think it is the old soldiers aversion to being wounded with dirty clothes on your back.
You once saw bags at nearly every door on our road now it is the odd one so they are losing out with overkill.
The other thing is the people calling wanting you to sign up so much a month for a charity, I already do six charities three local the forces charities and Salvation Army, they would be there with a cup of tea and a bun where the Naafi refused to go. I say sorry enough is enough goodbye.

Frank

22/05/2013 at 10:29

Quite agree that there is a massive invasion of privacy these days. The very things that were meant to make our lives easier and more convenient have become a liabiity, with firms selling our phone numbers and email addresses and charities sharing them among themselves. If you support them, it isn't long before they are asking you to increase your donation. I gave £3 to buy a blanket for a refugee, by mobile phone, recently and got several phone calls asking me (I presume) to contribute regularly to that charity. I decide for myself who I support! Fortunately, I'm deaf and did not hear the phone ring! 

22/05/2013 at 10:29

I have to confess that I rarely give to charities these days.  As you say Gilly, the money they receive from donations of any kind is very small.  Did a lot of research into this some years back because I was concerned about what was going on with the charity I then supported and was appalled at how much the higher archy are paid for their services and how much actually went to who it was meant for.  As for these bags, they don't even collect them if they are not used!  How much do they pay to have the printed up and used by recipient for anything except what they are meant for - me included!  Grandchildren like the ones with handles as they use them to have sack races.

I heard on the news this morning that the 'chuggers' are to be targetted and fined.  About time too.  They are out in their droves at times in my High Street and are not too happy when you refuse to stop.  I recently complained to a charity about the attitude of a 'chugger'  who knocked at the door and was unpleasant when I refused to sign up.

22/05/2013 at 10:38

If you look closely at some of those plastic bags, you find they are not, in fact, charities. They say some of the proceeds will be donated to the needy in places like Romania or Moldova. They are commercially-run companies ,usually operating from the same country - they all show ' registration numbers' designed to look like a charity number.

Bit like Frank, I only give to certain charities - small local ones, Help the Aged, Mind, RNLI, and the local air ambulance. I think it better to make a donation that's a decent amount, rather than spread the butter too widely on the bread, when it becomes almost pointless.

Anyway, my old clothes get used when I work at the allotment, and I use them until they are falling apart, and are so horrible my wife refuses to let them in the house any more!

22/05/2013 at 10:54

Oops.  Meant to go back to 'higher archy' and change it and forgot.  Should, of course, be hierarchy. 

That's what I prefer to do these days Pentille.  In the past, I have donated to a particular ward in local hospital where they were wanting a certain item. At least I know it's going where it should be. RNLI is a must.

22/05/2013 at 11:20

Last week G/G I received two large envelopes addressed to my wife one from Viking tours and one from a Woolen house.
I have a letter in my files which I send off to those people saying my wife passed away yet still they come.
Viking tours are a new one we never ever used them in our lives so the selling of names and addresses must now be big business.
I will vote for any party who vows to curb such assaults on our privacy no matter who they are as the constant reminders do not help.

Frank.

22/05/2013 at 12:33

Have just read in my local that my council spent £279,000 on the Olympic torch run and evening celebrations, to which we mere mortals were not privy. It was all centred in one place.  Coupling that with the fact that all London Borough council tax payers paid for these games for years and very few managed to get tickets, it's adding insult to injury. Am fuming.

22/05/2013 at 13:06

Some years ago after the boxing day tsunami I contributed to the DEC ( Disasters Emergency Committee made up of a number of charities.) They sent a receipt where my name was spelt wrongly.  Ever since I must get at least one appeal a week through the post from the mailing list generated by them. All from different charities, but all with my name spelt the wrong way.   I will not contribute to any of these again, as so much must be spent on fundraisers salaries, postage etc. Little if any of my money gets to where it is meant.   I always give to the Sally Army, for two reasons. My grandad said that during WW2 when he was on the front line, they would have starved if it wasn't for the Sally Army.  Also his mother was a SA major, came from London to educate the heathens of shirebrook  (and ended up marrying one)  I also give to the RNLI.  If someone went round with a collecting tin when they launched the St Ives lifeboat, all the onlookers would surely dig in their pockets. It brought me close to tears that these men risk their lives in rough seas for no recompense whatsoever.Every time I go out in a boat, I feel a little safer knowing they are there If needed. They at least deserve the best equipment.

22/05/2013 at 14:12

Fidgetbones- I totally agree. I feel the same way about our mountain rescue teams. I think it's appalling that these types of organisation have to rely on charity. Sign of the times isn't it- we seem to bend over backwards to fund disaster aid in other countries yet we ignore what's under our noses. It would be different if the country was booming perhaps- but it isn't, and I feel we should be looking after people here first. That may not be a popular view but I get angry when I hear about hospices or facilities for disabled children or similar agencies having to close because there's no funding available.

22/05/2013 at 14:29

Totally agree Fairygirl- charity begins at home

22/05/2013 at 14:35

Tina hit the nail on the head. Whilst the Olympics in London were great, the costs were obscene. Londoners who will be paying for it for years struggled to get tickets, even for 'fringe' events, whilst all the Suits, big names, and politicians showed up at all the events.

Why do they not build a permanent Olympic Stadium in Greece, to which all participating countries contribute? Better than now, when each succeeding country tries to outdo its predecessor, rather on the lines of 'mine is bigger than yours'.

Some of the money spent in the UK on the Games might then have found its way into a decent charity, rather than giving all those fat cats another nice ,free,jolly.

22/05/2013 at 15:02

Petillie, my daughter spent hours every night prior and during the games trying to get tickets even just to get into the park itself as she wanted her 2 children to be part of it.  Nothing. Zilch.  Then had to sit and see empty seats that had been set aside for the elite. We had this stupid idea that, following registering at  the start of it all, those helping to pay for it would be allocated tickets for at least one event.  How very stupid of us. As for the money spent by the Council on the olympic run, we couldn't get near it and the evening bash was not available to the public. The other gauling part of it was that she never got to get into the Park when the games had finished before they closed it down!!  Never been to the area where the Olympic site is, but I think the 'regeneration' is pie in the sky.  Yes, the Olympics was a great event, but at what cost and who benefitted.

22/05/2013 at 15:39

Tina - i agree totally. People should have had the chance to 'opt out' of paying. Like many others I thoroughly enjoyed watching it but how many have benefitted from the huge amount invested? As you said- your daughter tried to get tickets - couldn't - and then looked at empty seats. Disgraceful. Pentillie is right too- freebies for the suits and brown nosers etc. instead of ordinary people getting in.

22/05/2013 at 15:40

Tina, just to give some perspective to these greedy, modern, times, - in 1966,(when I was living in Bexley, strangely enough ), I bought a booklet of 10 tickets for the World Cup matches to be played in London - 8 at Wembley, and a couple of play-off games at the now demolished White City Stadium. I saw all the games, which included the opening match against Uruguay, and the final against West Germany. Now, if this tournament ever comes back to London, what do you think the prices would be?

I paid £3.37 (£3.7s.6d in predecimal days) for all those games, and memories to last a lifetime..........any further comment, I think,is unnecessary.

22/05/2013 at 16:12

We wouldn't get a look in Pentillie.

I feel sad for all those who so wanted to be there but never got the chance, A once in a lifetime event.

I actually liked football in 1966 and remember it well.  BIL was fitting us a new bathroom and it had to be finished by kickoff!!  He made it.

22/05/2013 at 17:12

Just going back to comments about chuggers,I worked in a bank for a number of years,each Monday there would be a pile of letters cancelling direct debits to charities because people had been afraid to say no and felt intimidated.Its easy for some to say refuse but there are a lot of people out there who feel pressurised,besides which do you really want to give your bank details and signature to someone you don,t know?.

22/05/2013 at 17:48

I refused a chugger at the door claiming to collect for cancer research.  Her reply was

Don't you want a cure for cancer then?

Yes I do, but I don't want 98% of what I give going to the industry that is charity collection.