London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
121 to 140 of 1,728 messages
28/02/2013 at 13:56

Caz and Bunny, I have high aims for both the garden and the interior of the house, so I might spend the money but then I'd disappear outside and abandon what I bought. You've heard of shabby chic - well, mine is mucky chic. And that's inside the house.

To return to rants, I am also driven bonkers by computers anticipating your wishes. Laptops are so sensitive that you only have to pass the cursor over a button for it to activate. No wonder they put the ads at the top of the screen. It is almost impossible to get the cursor from the top of the screen to the webpage itself without passing it over the ads and opening them and suddenly finding that you've lost the screen you actually tried to open! Maddening!

Derek, I live just down the road from the REME. My mother worked there during the war (before your time, of course) though I'm not sure what she did.

here's a further rant. Why is it that you can only book a doctor's appointment on the telephone yet when you try to phone you can't get through. OH spent over 2 hours the other day before finally giving up and going down there, only to find that though they grudgingly allowed hiim to book, they told him they give priority to telephone bookings for early appointments!! By the time he got there, all the appointments for that day were gone! Gurgle of rage!

28/02/2013 at 15:04

GG that was my moan yesterday!  At moment am deaf! Already had medication but it's got worse.  Wanted to go yesterday but had to have a procedure at hospital.  Tried in afternoon.  Receptionist - can't do today. Me - what about tomorrow. Receptionist - there are appointments but you have to phone at 8 or 2.  Me - so, as per normal, I will sit with finger poised at said times only to be told when I eventually get through that they have all been taken.

Personally, I find it humiliating to have to do this.  What's happened to the days when, if you had a problem, you would take yourself to the docs and just sit and wait.  No receptionists to contend with.  The doc just went to his filing cabinet, got out your notes, scribbled any medication given down and returned the notes. 

Oh for the good old days!

28/02/2013 at 15:20
Must admit since having a little rant this morning before I went out certainly put me in a better mood for the day.....Infact I would say a really good mood.
28/02/2013 at 16:46

That's the great thing with rants, Flower. They are cathartic, especially if someone else is receptive and sympathetic. That's the great thing about women getting together. We can moan, no-one takes us too seriously and it doesn't matter if we go over the top. They know we'll go back to normal life and just cope.

Tina, how I agree with you! It is humiliating, as if we patients were an inconvenient necessity of surgery life, rather than the taxpayers who fund the whole thing and indirectly pay the wages of everyone there. They don't get more phone lines because then they'd have to pay more staff, yet they don't have online bookings, which would be much more helpful both for patients and for saving the time of the reception and office staff. People who are not computer literate would then be the only ones taking up the receptionists' time. Why, oh why, do they not recognise my qualities as the fount of wisdom and let me sort it out for them????

28/02/2013 at 17:01

Just one rant, thieving squirrel scum that out of 500 + bulbs, decides just to dig up and eat the narcissi specially bought for my missus at £1 a bulb, there's only 40 odd out of near 600, yet the swine has had 9 so far, and that is with netting laid, I'll be dusting off the air rifle at this rate, either that or baiting the heavy duty farm rat traps I have with the left over remains..

28/02/2013 at 17:05

Hi GG, about 12 years ago i rang my company doctor for an appointment and was told i could have one in three months time ,a couple of days later i had an angioplasty i was off work for abut six months but while i was convalescing they sent a letter to my home demanding that i attend the chief medical officer in Dublin , his excuse for the long wait for the appointment was that they don't like malingerers,I was employed by this company since 1974 was never out sick first time 2001 retired December 2012 early

Derek

2nd rant of the day

it doe'smake you feel good though .

28/02/2013 at 17:23

That's pretty trying, Derek! I had a difficult time six years ago with a doctor who thought I was a malingerer and treated me as such. I had a brain tumour! (It was benign and surgery has dealt with it permanently and safely. I only have brainstorms on Wednesdays!)

LearningSlowly, here is a link that might interest you.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5991149_flowers-keep-squirrels-away.html

It says that daffodil bulbs are poisonous to squirrels and repel them, but they may move them, so plant 'em deep. Wish I knew why the squirrel only went for daffs. I suppose no  neighbour is nicking them, since they are a bit special?

28/02/2013 at 17:37
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

That's pretty trying, Derek! I had a difficult time six years ago with a doctor who thought I was a malingerer and treated me as such. I had a brain tumour! (It was benign and surgery has dealt with it permanently and safely. I only have brainstorms on Wednesdays!)

LearningSlowly, here is a link that might interest you.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5991149_flowers-keep-squirrels-away.html

It says that daffodil bulbs are poisonous to squirrels and repel them, but they may move them, so plant 'em deep. Wish I knew why the squirrel only went for daffs. I suppose no  neighbour is nicking them, since they are a bit special?

I see that thread GG, how odd, mind my parents had a static caravan in stratford-upon-avon and had loads of bulbs in planters and troughs etc, and they used to go walkabout, rabbits/squirrels (there were loads of both!), who knows, but my daffs were excavated and the daffs were close on 5" deep. Since I've never seen rabbits here, only foxes and squirrels I'd think it's one of them. Regards to my neighbours, how would they know which were the expensive ones out of so many, I haven't told anyone !!

28/02/2013 at 17:58
Must say these rants are good for the soul, your rant LS made me titter.......just glad I am not a squirrel.
28/02/2013 at 18:10

Titter e not!! Yeah, sometimes it is good to have a growl about something.. I wouldn't normally be bothered but OH Birthday April 20th, which would have meant these daffs would be out in force, too late to buy/plant anymore now ;/ (she doesn't know, so I can't even shout about it to her!)

28/02/2013 at 18:10
GG, when you get the job, may I be your little helper. 
Another gripe about the docs is do the receptionists receive special training in bluntness and rudeness?  I always feel I am being a total nuisance in daring to call.  I find myself sort of apologising for troubling them to answer the phone.
I think I shall have to duck after I make my next gripe.  Far too much football on TV.  There, I've said it.

28/02/2013 at 18:35

Oh, Tina, you are a woman after my own heart!! I have been known to sit and endure a match (rugby actually) for the sake of OH and at the end to ask, 'Who won?' It is all Greek to me!  I could not ask for anyone better to be my little helper!

LS, I haven't a clue about squirrels really.

28/02/2013 at 18:46
Had a local councillor saying disabled children should be "put down". He has resigned but what a terrible thing to say about people who already have enough issues to deal with. Luckily, he was not in a position,of great influence but a certain adolph had similar ideas.
28/02/2013 at 18:50

They say that a society should be judged by the way it treats its weakest members.

28/02/2013 at 18:52

GG I have an 8 year old grandson who should go on Junior Mastermind, chosen subject - Football.  Problem is, he thinks I know who and what he is talking about. Is already at the stage where 'the ref is useless'.  Quite funny really.

No football allowed on my TV, but I do actually like a bit of rugby, if England is playing.  I'm one of those people that true rugby fans moan about. 

28/02/2013 at 18:55

I heard that on the radio this morning Verdun and was appalled.  What was the man thinking of.

28/02/2013 at 19:11

I have a rugby-obsessed grandson, too, aged 12. He lives in England but was born in Wales and feels Welsh, so he has a real problem when Wales play England. In Wales, this particular rivalry takes on an importance somewhere between a war and a religion! This song from Max Boyce sums it up.

We paid our weekly shilling for that January trip

A long weekend in London, aye, without a bit of kip

There's a seat reserved for beer by the boys from Abercarn

There's beer, pontoon, crisps and fags and a croakin 'Calon Lan'.

And we were singing hymns and arias, 'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'.

Into Paddington we did roll with an empty crate of ale

Will had lost at cards and now his Western Mail's for sale

But Will is very happy though his money all has gone

He swapped five photos of his wife for one of Barry John!

And we were singing hymns and arias, 'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos.'

We told the guard that we're from Wales, and asked 'Is Twickers far?'

He said "Man you can catch a 48, but it isn't very far."

On the bus were boys from Blaina who'd been to see the Queen

So we had a quick Gymanfa, aye, it was the greatest London's seen.

'cause we were singing hymns and arias, 'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'.

We got to Twickers early and were jostled in the crowd

Planted leeks and dragons, looked for toilets all around

So many there we couldn't budge -twisted legs and pale

I'm ashamed we used a bottle that once held bitter ale!

And we were singing hymns and arias, 'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos.'

Wales defeated England in a fast and open game

We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah' damn, they sounded both the same

We sympathised with an Englishman whose team was doomed to fail

So we gave him that old bottle, that once held bitter ale!

He started singing hymns and arias, 'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'.

There is a bit more, but it is not very politically correct! The Welsh adore that song.

28/02/2013 at 19:19
Max Boyce, saw him in Brum in the 70s, Jasper Carrot and Mike Harding all around the same time.
28/02/2013 at 19:26

Gosh; I blinked and missed the start of this brilliant thread! I don't have time to read all the posts, but GG what a fab idea! I suppose that my gardening moan is people who don't look after their gardens (why don't they live in a flat?) Also I have a long thin stretch out the front of my fence that was weeds when I bought the place and 10 years or so ago I weeded and planted it and everyone says it's great. It is also a good way to meet neighbours as they walk past when I'm weeding out there; BUT there are sometimes people who don't pick up their dog's poo - they just kick it into my plants! So I have to wear bullet proof rubber gloves when I'm working out there. There, that is my moan, not that important in the scheme of things, but hey ho.

28/02/2013 at 19:28

He typifies Welsh humour. I once travelled in a car with two Irish guys, playing a Max Boyce tape. I fell about laughing and they did not crack a smile. Perhaps they did not understand his accent, but it is probably regional humour.

121 to 140 of 1,728 messages