London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
29/05/2013 at 07:33

I have a roomba for hoovering it isn't bad but you need to be a little tidy as it will eat socks if it finds any.

29/05/2013 at 07:53

MMP- agree with all of your list...I would add the ones who don't indicate at roundabouts when others are waiting to enter/exit....inconsiderate t***s, and the ones who park over two spaces when the car park's half empty..

Re dogs...horses are the same. Sorted many that other people have screwed up. You have to take it with a pinch of salt. Some people just shouldn't have them.

blackest- what's a roomba?

29/05/2013 at 08:01

Sounds like a dance

29/05/2013 at 08:31

close GillyL its a vac.

If this link works  you should  get the idea

29/05/2013 at 08:53

more refined roomba

29/05/2013 at 09:48

If I ever get rich I will buy a lawnmower that works like that. There are a few in our neighbourhood and I do enjoy watching them "marching" around the lawns, even very big ones (lawns). I can imagine myself lying in my deckchair with a g+t, watching it do all the work!

29/05/2013 at 10:38

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24229.jpg?width=216&height=350&mode=max

I quite agree with MMP about dogs. They are happier when they know their place in the pack.

This is my German Shepherd with his security blanket. He's nearly 11 now and according to the on-line dog age calculator that is 87 in human years.

How did you get on at the vets with Max's paw MMP?

29/05/2013 at 10:39

Fairygirl/Daughter, animals were always there for me and before me so it was natural.
They do sense fear or indecision and they do like to know you are in charge, training sheep dogs and preparing animals for the ring washing brushing oiling hooves etc all need confidence in both animal and person doing the job.
At the moment I get a little Jack Russel come Corgi from next door from nine to four, they got the dog then she had to go back to work so I take him, they are totally daft with him he even sleeps in their bed, madness.
Sonny was almost out of control, not now, he knows his place and the lift in my voice if he is getting excited, my neighbour thinks the improvement wonderful then tries to undo it within minutes so I am now training her.

How lazy can people get, lawn mowers sweepers? they will have automatic bottom wipers next. Even at my age the hoover is good exercise, I use it as a zimmer frame with an engine belting round the bungalow like Alonso, then the lawn with an even bigger engined zimmer, sit long enough and you will never get up.

Frank.

29/05/2013 at 11:14

It's not lazy it is time saving, letting you do other things while it works away.  no more lazy than a toaster or a washing machine you could use a grill or a twintub. There is downsides to the rumba as they need emptying after each run pretty much and regular cleaning. On the positive side you can set them off in the morning and head out to work and come back to a freshly hoovered house.

It's quite perfect for the single man, after all it is a robot

29/05/2013 at 11:18

I am very impressed Blackest.  Anything to make the dreaded housework easier.  Does it do stairs, which are my biggest bug bear?

Perfect for me too.

29/05/2013 at 12:34

no stairs but it won't fall down them either because of the cliff sensors. No stairs here in my cottage. There is even a remote control so you can drive it, although i've never used it to do anything other than show friends there is a remote so you can drive it. it's quite good for keeping kids occupied.

29/05/2013 at 12:47

Washing machine? twin-tub? Drier??
Would that be the big iron tub in the corner with a poss Dolly and Mangle attached?
Drier I have one of those, it is outside and stretches between two hooks, it did a good job Saturday, bed clothes off washed hung out dried then aired and back on the bed lovely and fresh, us widowers need to keep occupied.
Toaster? as my toast would have cheese with mustard and Lee and Perins on it you need a grill, don't forget the pepper.
Mod cons are for very busy people and going by the busy people around me no time to spit or garden either, what is so important that you have to save every second for some other task I ask?

Frank.

29/05/2013 at 13:58

Hi

I have just briefly skimmed through these posts. I would like to inform you all of a remarlable discovery I made many years ago--

Everyone is out of step except ME.

29/05/2013 at 15:01

Frank'Dad- I had a conversation recently, when I was out in the garden, with a 'gran' who was looking after her son's badly behaved son and small daughter. She said 'oh he doesn't have time to do the garden as he works offshore (I know people who work offshore- so- 2 weeks on and 2 weeks at home at least then...). 'He's thinking of getting someone in to do it'. I felt like saying 'why can't his wife do it then?' They've got a bit of grass (nothing else) at the front about 40 by 30 ft,a tiny back  garden and virtually no plants. I said 'well it only takes about 15 minutes to do this- including getting the mower out....' 

I have more grass than they do.

Go figure - as the Americans would say.

29/05/2013 at 15:03

Pam, your dog is a beauty.  But then I think all GSDs are handsome, and such easy dogs to 'read'.  Max still not out of the woods, but having his very expensive anti-biotics is helping.  His toe is slowly returning to it's normal size/shape, and no longer t-shaped with all of the swelling at the end.  Every time he's gone to lick it, he's been told 'NO!' and is leaving it alone now.  Using that leg to stand on and pee (good sign), and even scratched his tabs with it yesterday (meaning I had to do the washing in saline to get rid of any grot he might have got on it!).

We are at the vet's tomorrow, so will see how he is then.  Size of toe does fluctuate though, seems better in the mornings when he's kept his (not inconsiderable) weight off it overnight.  Thanks for asking, I'm still worried about him, having the toe off (and it's a middle one) at his age would be traumatic for all of us.

29/05/2013 at 15:14

Thanks MMP. Max seems to be getting better so good luck at the vets tomorrow.

29/05/2013 at 15:59

Palaisglide.......its good that you can hoover and cut the grass and treat it as exercise,but I think you should be careful when assuming people using labour saving gadgets are just lazy,Some people with disabilities need all the help they can get just to be able to cope and stay in their own home.Generalisations are dangerous

No.I am disabled .but there may be people on the forum who are and may find your comments hurtful.

29/05/2013 at 17:25

Gilly, I think most people on here after years of knowing me are used to my weird sense of humour they also know that if we printed the Lords Prayer on these pages it would upset someone, we cannot go through life not speaking just in case someone is offended.
We from the North East  say what we mean and do generalise in other words do not specify, the words are for people I think I know and yes not all in the best of health, if we saw insult in what is written on here or elsewhere then we would cease writing.
There are threads on these pages I would never venture onto, firstly they speak in a language I do not know, "is it text speak" secondly it all descended into a cat fight not too long ago with words being bandied that I would not use on here, anything I do write is not meant to harm although whatever I do write in some obscure way will upset someone and that goes for us all. Sorry if it upsets you.
Leopards and spots come to mind, changeing mine would need a sandblaster.

Frank.

29/05/2013 at 19:11

Frank, we know & love you on this thread, you speak as you find and I for one respect that.  You have the squaddie sense of humour (and I do hope that doesn't offend, as I know you weren't just a pte, but not quite a hofficer).

A while ago this site descended into madness and mayhem, as certain people took a dislike to other people and were quite publicly calling each other names.  Life's too short for that S***, so anyone annoys me now I just hit the ignore button and they can call me whatever they want, but I aint listening (talk to the button, as the eyes aint seeing what you post).

29/05/2013 at 19:57

CN, don't forget Shakespear!!  I nearly had Macbeth inflicted on me twice, but the lovely teacher at the school I moved to took pity on me, and we did 'The boys from the Black Stuff' instead.  Just as depressing, but with flashes of humour and a load more accessible.  I too like the Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, anything by Pratchett (Good Omens is falling to bits, it's been read and re-read so many times), Tolkien, the Philippa Gregory books, and the series of books written by PC Mike Pannett (if you don't laugh at those there's something seriously wrong with you), and for a good laugh the earlier Bill Bryson books - the later ones are good, but try too much to educate you rather than just making you laugh at his misfortunes.  I once got looked at very much askance on a train for giggling (I couldn't stop myself), until the guard lifted up the book and found I was reading 'notes from a small island', and just smiled and nodded, clipped my ticket, and left me to my mad giggling fit.