London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
29/05/2013 at 15:03

Pam, your dog is a beauty.  But then I think all GSDs are handsome, and such easy dogs to 'read'.  Max still not out of the woods, but having his very expensive anti-biotics is helping.  His toe is slowly returning to it's normal size/shape, and no longer t-shaped with all of the swelling at the end.  Every time he's gone to lick it, he's been told 'NO!' and is leaving it alone now.  Using that leg to stand on and pee (good sign), and even scratched his tabs with it yesterday (meaning I had to do the washing in saline to get rid of any grot he might have got on it!).

We are at the vet's tomorrow, so will see how he is then.  Size of toe does fluctuate though, seems better in the mornings when he's kept his (not inconsiderable) weight off it overnight.  Thanks for asking, I'm still worried about him, having the toe off (and it's a middle one) at his age would be traumatic for all of us.

29/05/2013 at 15:14

Thanks MMP. Max seems to be getting better so good luck at the vets tomorrow.

29/05/2013 at 15:59

Palaisglide.......its good that you can hoover and cut the grass and treat it as exercise,but I think you should be careful when assuming people using labour saving gadgets are just lazy,Some people with disabilities need all the help they can get just to be able to cope and stay in their own home.Generalisations are dangerous

No.I am disabled .but there may be people on the forum who are and may find your comments hurtful.

29/05/2013 at 17:25

Gilly, I think most people on here after years of knowing me are used to my weird sense of humour they also know that if we printed the Lords Prayer on these pages it would upset someone, we cannot go through life not speaking just in case someone is offended.
We from the North East  say what we mean and do generalise in other words do not specify, the words are for people I think I know and yes not all in the best of health, if we saw insult in what is written on here or elsewhere then we would cease writing.
There are threads on these pages I would never venture onto, firstly they speak in a language I do not know, "is it text speak" secondly it all descended into a cat fight not too long ago with words being bandied that I would not use on here, anything I do write is not meant to harm although whatever I do write in some obscure way will upset someone and that goes for us all. Sorry if it upsets you.
Leopards and spots come to mind, changeing mine would need a sandblaster.

Frank.

29/05/2013 at 18:54

Automatic bottom wiper? Not seen one of those, but you can get an extra water pipe attached to the toilet to *rinse* your bottom while you're sitting on it. Saves flushing so much paper.

On reading: I used to read all the time. There was no point in trying to count the books I'd read. It was easier just to measure the total length of shelf they occupied. I'm still an obsessive reader (I've read the telephone handset at least five times) but school put me right off reading for a long time. There can be few things more effective as a way to spoil the joy of reading than handing some kid a really DULL book and making him write a dozen 2,500-word essays on it.

I don't get the National Curriculum book lists. I'm reluctant to do this without spoiler tags but ... Raymond E Feist's Ender books and Faerie Tale, Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana, Anne McCaffrey's Pern books and the whole series from To Ride Pegasus onwards, Robert Ludlum's Bourne books and other works, some Gerald Seymour (but not too many because they'd get depressing), The Lord Of The Rings, maybe the Ballantyne sequence of Wilbur Smith's books, the Belgariad, the whole Magician series, Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising quadrilogy, Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, Jilly Cooper's Riders and Rivals and loads of other wonderful books and series of books ..... aren't on the list. Instead, we inflict The Wasp Factory and Lord Of The Flies on kids and require of them that they love books as a result of this traumatic waste of their time.

29/05/2013 at 19:11

Frank, we know & love you on this thread, you speak as you find and I for one respect that.  You have the squaddie sense of humour (and I do hope that doesn't offend, as I know you weren't just a pte, but not quite a hofficer).

A while ago this site descended into madness and mayhem, as certain people took a dislike to other people and were quite publicly calling each other names.  Life's too short for that S***, so anyone annoys me now I just hit the ignore button and they can call me whatever they want, but I aint listening (talk to the button, as the eyes aint seeing what you post).

29/05/2013 at 19:57

CN, don't forget Shakespear!!  I nearly had Macbeth inflicted on me twice, but the lovely teacher at the school I moved to took pity on me, and we did 'The boys from the Black Stuff' instead.  Just as depressing, but with flashes of humour and a load more accessible.  I too like the Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, anything by Pratchett (Good Omens is falling to bits, it's been read and re-read so many times), Tolkien, the Philippa Gregory books, and the series of books written by PC Mike Pannett (if you don't laugh at those there's something seriously wrong with you), and for a good laugh the earlier Bill Bryson books - the later ones are good, but try too much to educate you rather than just making you laugh at his misfortunes.  I once got looked at very much askance on a train for giggling (I couldn't stop myself), until the guard lifted up the book and found I was reading 'notes from a small island', and just smiled and nodded, clipped my ticket, and left me to my mad giggling fit.

29/05/2013 at 20:10

MMP and Palaisglide,have no intention in getting into "cat fights "or anything else. I fail to see how you can take a dislike to someone you don,t know and insult them on line.

As far as I am concerned this thread is for rants ,and once said forgotten.

Agree MMP life,s to short .

29/05/2013 at 22:31

Caci, ce n'est pas un rant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdmxgRdMAM

EAT YER HEARTS OUT, ATOMIC KITTEN!

29/05/2013 at 22:33

MMP Thank you but "hi Ham a Ossifer" Warrant Officer Class One or WO1, when you retire in the rank you are still so addressed, I stand to attention in my carpet slippers when the national Anthem is played fingers in the Churchill position "err I think" and medals mildewed on my breast, once a one always a one whatever that one is?

Gilly my thoughts exactly, let sleeping dogs lie.

Rant, had to puit the bins out in the pouring rain because the binmen come at the crack of dawn and I mean the rising of the sun, too early even for me.

Frank.

29/05/2013 at 22:59

As to books, we get this huge build up, interviews book clubs then a couple of months later the book is on sale in Tesco giving it away. A bit like the films that get blown up in the adverts then go straight to DVD.
I was an avid reader from being able to hold a book and that would be by gas light sitting on the fender next to the black leaded stove. In those day we had the Two penny library, the Lady running it soon got to know I loved the travel and geographic type books, she would order the new ones for me and often did not take the two pence. I thank that lady for what she did.
Books had a beginning a middle and a end back then, sex was hinted at and not the graphic detail which seem to make up most of the modern books.
The love of books never goes away and I take out three or four a week from the library a couple will get tossed aside as rubbish or the plot is in the first three pages why read the rest. Luckily when you put the books through it tells you if you have had them out before, you can ditch the ones you do not want to read twice.
Autobiography's but not of people who have not even reached puberty yet, everything on Churchill and other world leaders of my time, film stars Adventurers and people who changed things, not the flaccid I was a pop star or celebrity type rubbish of self aggrandisement.
How many of you can truthfully say you have read War and Peace from start to finish, well stuck in the Desert with only that and the Bible which I still have well and truly worn and dog eared, you need something, "err" that cannot be used as toilet paper.

Frank. PS I am thinking of making all my writings into a book, I would need advice and guidance on any sex pages as well out of date on that.
Oh also a list of what not to say that would upset people,  "nor to h@## with that they do not have to read it, "err" buy it though!!!

30/05/2013 at 07:08

"he who is the ownerof books is indeed a weatlthy man"

Favourite authors,Phillipa Gregory,Simon Sharma,David Starkey ,& Dickens.

In view of Above ,maybe to be joined by ? by Palaisglide

Rant connected to books,I hate those sticky labels with the price or other advertising such as buy one get one half price,that they put on the front cover.especially if you want to give it as a present,it never comes off without a small mark.

30/05/2013 at 09:33

@gillyL.. yes i agree.. they stick them on everything.. dvd covers for instance.. bought one for my bro in law at weekend for birthday the the label came off taking some of the cover print with it.. so annoying

another rant i have this week is.. shops who cram so much in you cant walk round the stands without knocking stuff off.. sports direct for instance.. my god!! so cramped in there and you need a sat nav to find the tills.. then when you do they have no queueing line.. just stand amoungst the racks of items for sales.. while a large banner over the till states.. go on and line and tell us what you think of our queueing.. "i can tell ya.. get some space and make a single line up system.. as that lady over there has just got served there while we are all stood here waiting for you to get going serving us.." i announced along with some "yeah get it together girl" and "come on have not got all day love" from in front and behind me.

and breath....

rant over.

30/05/2013 at 10:50

SPorts Direct is not a shop. It is an overcrowded warehouse staffed by unpleasnat youths smelling of cheap perfume and testesterone. I am 66 yrs old ex military and I am NOT their "Mate" as "Can I help you MATE"

As for books- their are no boring books- only books that you are not stimulated or captured by. I enjoy reading SF Anne Mcaffery-great- but it would bore me to death to stick to one genre.

The most moving and capturing book recently read was SKALLARIGG- sadly now out of print. It is funny and very sad and very uplifting I recommend that to everyone.

Geoffrey Archer books are good for compost they are rot as they leave his pen and decay quickly.

30/05/2013 at 19:55

CharlieN, I watched that link and knew I was old! Just didn't get it! Sorry!

Enjoyed reading all the stuff about books. Love whodunnits written by women myself, from Marjorie Allingham to the modern day, especially funny ones. (I just don't think like a man, I suppose.)

I see April Jones' alleged killer was convicted today. Such a sad story. Hope life improsonment really means life - these sexually-motivated people kill again too often. Now that so many psychiatric hospitals have closed down and personality disorders are regarded as untreatable, there are too many psychopaths free to kill, even though it is often clear that they are dangerous.

30/05/2013 at 20:17

GG- I have to say I feel sorry for his family. Can you imagine the grief they will get just because they're related. Desperate.

I've always been under the impression the life sentence replaced the death penalty- in other words you're life was still taken but in a different way. How can it be justice if people only serve ten years or whatever for a deliberate act of murder. 

Like you , I like a good whodunnit. Barbara Vine, PD James, Val McD, Geoffrey Deaver etc but my all time fave book is still Brideshead Revisited. Still cry every time I read it.

30/05/2013 at 22:45

Gilly, That book would be a biography as if written by another person as that is how it seems to me looking back, as If I was outside looking in, snooping would be a good word.
My reading seems archaic when I look at the Authors you all name, of course Miss English, my English Tutor (yes that was her name) dragged me kicking and screaming into the classics.
Homer when we were still doing Greek and Latin, the Elizabethan Poet George Chapman, Alexander Pope, Andrew Lang, W B Yeats, Ezra Pound and not to be missed Daniel Defoe. I did like all the Smiley books nothing like a good spy novel.
Does Readers Digest count I ask?

Frank.

31/05/2013 at 08:58

Nothing wrong with Readers Digest Frank,

Type of reading material is immaterial,its the fact that a person reads that is important.

GG & Fairygirl,.Agree with your comments about the April Jones killer,Hope He never sees life from out behind bars again.

31/05/2013 at 09:20

Sometimes I feel so sad Gilly when you see people's lives utterly destroyed like that. The Sarah Payne family - it broke my heart watching the parents on those hideous press things - the father becoming more broken with every day that went by. The Russell family who had moved to get a better life only for some maniac to kill the mother and one daughter and leave the other battered. I don't condone it, but I do understand why people feel they have to take action because the justice system seems woefully inadequate on so many occasions. I'm old enough to remember the Moors murders and that poor woman (Keith Bennett's mother)is dead never  knowing where her little boy was left. Life sentences must mean that.

I also feel that reading is what matters rather than a particular type of book.  My older daughter was an avid reader at an early age whereas the younger one wasn't interested other than magazines. She now reads a lot - it was just a question of encouragement and finding the right book to spark her. Good old Harry Potter!

31/05/2013 at 10:00

What I find really sad about April Jones' murder, is her body is still missing, and the evil scum that did it, won't say where the body is.  At least if her parents had her back, even just to bury, they would know where she was, and hopefully it would give them some sort of closure.  In these cases, I believe that the victims should have some sort of say in if/when he gets out (I hope never), what sort of torment has he thoughtlessly inflicted on her parents?  Every day of their life they will have pain, and a huge hole where their daughter once was.  I just hope what he said about running her over is true (which I doubt), and that she didn't know fear or pain before she died.

Off now to give my little ones a cuddle.