London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
02/06/2013 at 10:36

Gfantic- I know what you mean. It's like having another sodding job by the time you clean it and sort it! The recycling here is quite poor because of the number of different bins, bags, boxes etc and what you can and can't recycle, yet the neighbouring county for example has bins you can put all plastic in  and they obviously sort it at other end. If they want people to recycle they need to make it simple otherwise people just won't. What I do wonder though- with all the different lorries they send for it...just how green is it?

We can recycle batteries at supermarket but they keep moving the b****y bin!!

02/06/2013 at 10:51

Maybe the old ways of dealing with perverts are best. My mum lived in a mining village in the 40's. Someone had been kiddy fiddling. The local women sorted him out. The local bobby didn't see anything. No one knew anything. The  pervert never did it again.

A notorious kidnapper and rapist was caught a few years ago. He fell down every step in the local police station (twice). When  he first appeared in court, the magistrate queried why he was covered in bruises. Resisting arrest.  fair enough. Next.

These days the police would be had up for it. Infringing the criminals human rights.  What about my human rights?  Don't I have the right to live in my own home and country without being scared to leave the house in case it gets burgled by druggies?.   How many old people won't answer the door after dark? 

It's time we adopted zero tolerance to minor crime so the  little thugs don't progress to major crime.  For  crimes like burglary they should always be locked up, and the sentence get increased every time they reoffend.  I've been burgled twice. The first time the house was ransacked and £12, 000 of contents stolen.  the second time I had a burglar alarm and the neighbours came running.  Four youths were seen in the house. Four ran away, and got into a car. registration number noted. The police dog found the computer stashed under a tree for later retrieval. It had blood on it . ( the garden brambles fight back) SOCO came and got swabs, and DNA identified the culprit. bang to rights  you might think.  No, he was only done with handling stolen goods. he says someone handed it to him and he put it down. Neighbours were not asked to give evidence. He got a three month rehabilitation order(not his fault, he's an addict, no father etc etc. )This means he went on a methadone programme which are useless, and got to talk to the social workers once a week.

I got to pay £1200 for a new reinforced back door (NOT covered by the insurance because it's classed as "Betterment") Call that justice?

02/06/2013 at 11:08

In my opinion thieves should have their hand chopped off, like they do in some arabian countries!

02/06/2013 at 11:28

If they try coming in the house when I am on my own, I will  probably end up locked up, because believe me I will defend myself and what I have worked hard for.

The large lump of coral at the top of the stairs will make a useful weapon.

A few years ago I went to Christmas Island (Australian owned , now used mainly as a camp for illegal asylum seekers.) When we went out diving, the dive school owner not only does not lock his house doors, or car doors, he usually leaves his wallet and car keys in the car.  No crime at all on the island. everyone knows everyone. We did get stopped by the police. I had forgotten to put my seat belt on in the back seat of the landcruiser.  Me,I'm so paranoid, I lock everything and hide all valuables.

02/06/2013 at 12:57

Not that I want to support America's sometimes extreme laws but the three strikes and you're out could be useful. The problem is that the do gooders would get their say and once again the victim is left to pay- like you fidget. There's no easy answer but I certainly don't approve of youngsters being chucked in jail either to come out and just be better criminals. People should certainly have the right to protect what they go out every day and work their a***s off for though. 

perhaps any burglars could have accidentally 'fallen against' your piece of coral fidget...

02/06/2013 at 16:27

Frank, I only have the corned beef in tins for occaisions such as now, when Max needs to take his tablets.  I have tried everything else, and apart from sausages (the proper ones, not the hot-dog disgusting type ones), he will eat the coating then spit the pill out, even with cheese.  So I get the cheapest corned beef, and 'mould' it around the pill, so it's coated with the awful stuff.  That goes straight down.

As for cleaning out the tins, I wave it around under the hot tap to get most of the grot off, then it goes into a bag, when the bag's full (or the bin/recycling truck is around), it goes into the blue box.

Any boxes I get that are clean and dry (so nothing from the freezer) gets recycled at small-boy's school, for small child inventions.  The Honey Hoops and Chocky Hoops are really sought after, as they have bee and bear masks on the back.  Good job OH eats the chocky hoops by the bucketload.  I've got about 6 of the flipping things to take in, as small boy was off with a grotty cold and cough, so with the half-term he's had two weeks off, given the cold to me and his little sister, now Daddy's getting it.

Oh, the joys of being a Mum to two small children!

02/06/2013 at 18:01

I am a slut. I used to wash everything out, take the labels off, and not put the lids off milk bottles or jars (not wanted) into recycling.  Then I discovered that they don't know what to do with all this stuff we are recycling, so it now goes in just as it is. Sometimes, I don't even bother.  It's all a farce. Remember posting something I had read  about the lunacy of recycling, but can't remember where.

KEF
02/06/2013 at 19:59

Tina, I'm a slut also. I thought that cans & bottles were melted down so if so, don't labels etc. burm off? I do rinse cans at end of dish washing, or other half does, I cook he washes. But what is point in re-cycling if you have to use hot water to clean stuff before it goes in bins? Do remove tops from platics bottles. What I'm keen on is cutting up all plastic ring ties that go in general bin in case wildlife get caught in it at landfill.

My moan today is Betterware woman..did I ask her to put brochure thro' my letter box? NO. Did I want her banging on door like the police at 10.30am on a Sunday morning ? when H had nipped out and I was in the shower.

Last one!!!  Shop bought carrots..years ago I remember my Dad club card in hand complaining at supermarket to the manager about them rotting. Was told to keep them in the fridge, even though out on shelves in shop. Dad having been a veg gardener was not happy. Years later, Dad now gone, I am still annoyed, buy them, dry them because they are always damp / sweaty, keep them in cool & dark or fridge they don't keep beyond 5 days. I swear the last lot had been semi frozen and rotten within 4 days. I don't have a local veg shop & market stall is naff. I should take them back but what's the point to get same things in return.

Phew that's me done moaning.

02/06/2013 at 20:08

Tina and KEF...

Actually you did mention it on here Tina. You're right - it will all go in one big vat.  It reminds of someone who did a joke about curry houses- when all the different orders came in there was just one gigantic vat of generic 'curry'  and all the orders came out of it!

KEF- I feel the same about soft fruit from supermarkets. It's obviously kept at a lower temperature than it should be - (almost frozen)which is hopeless.  When you get it home it's rotten within a day or two because you're keeping at a normal temp.

02/06/2013 at 20:20

KEF & Fairygirl

Have you tried Lakeland stayfresh longer bags?I was sceptical at first but they really do keep veg and fruit longer in the fridge,I often buy reduced price veg which is on the sell by date,have kept french beans /carrots 2-3 weeks without problem.

Frank,always kept in a Frey Bentos pie" in case of emergency" as picked up from Mum,having tasted it ,the emergency would have to be Nuclear Disaster before eating it again,your pie however sounds delicious

02/06/2013 at 20:32

KEF: Betterware woman probably won't trouble you too much if you stop being so polite about answering the door. Men have something of an advantage here, as not bothering to put a shirt on is rude, rather than generous, but I'm sure you can find a way to make yourself unwelcoming (short of answering the door wearing a blood-stained Tellytubby costume and holding a chainsaw).

A good .177 underlever is great for keeping the squirrels off the songbirds' eggs ... permanently, in any individual squirrel's case ... and makes a great prop for bad manners. Answer the door. Say: "Yeah, yeah, I see the bastard. I'm on my way to drill it now." Push past her. Go round the back. See whether she's still there when you come back. If she is and she wants her catalogue back, ask her why she pushed something she wanted to keep through your letterbox. You can get the right tone of voice by imagining she's somebody else's particularly stupid spaniel.

02/06/2013 at 20:36

Bit extreme Charlie November

KEF
02/06/2013 at 20:42

Charlie, I'm kinking with laughing  Are you Jack Reacher ? I don't mean Tom Cruise in recent naff film, but Reacher in Lee Child books..he could kick..**** & betterware people.

Gilly I'll check them out, thanks.

Charlie..still laughing.

KEF
02/06/2013 at 20:44

p.s. Charlie, just checked your location and now understand the same humour.

02/06/2013 at 21:20

You're all so cruel. He/she is only trying to earn a crust. I have just bought a timer (cooker one broken) which, when it goes off, sounds like a cockeral.  Took it in the garden today and when the hen and yapping dog started, I set it off, several times.  I can just imagine what my neighbours are thinking. 'She's totally lost the plot'. 

Some of the recent posts have totally lost me.  Back to the home.

02/06/2013 at 22:58

Well, I suppose if people work off their violent impulses here and then go away and behave themselves, it serves a purpose!

TT, well done for fighting back! I'm referring to the dog and hen situation, of course. I have heard that a loud blast on a whistle has a similar effect, but I imagine too much of that could really annoy the neighbours. Might try it with my @*%! dog, though!

02/06/2013 at 23:20

Meant to mention the timer was from 'Betterware'.  I usually find they are OAP's or young women who are trying to earn a bit of cash. I also bought a timer you pop in the saucepan which gives you the perfect soft boiled egg!! What's a tenner between friends. Son won't be able to blame me anymore if his eggs are not juuuust right.

04/06/2013 at 08:17

New rant. I buy a lot from ebay and a few weeks ago a cardigan arrived. Size 28, just a little large even for me!!! It was cheap rubbish. I checked ebay - nothing, yet I had a feeling I'd seen it there. Could I have been stupid enough to order a too-big cardigan? I wondered what to do. A couple of weeks later, I had a credit agreement to sign and a bill from a mail order catalogue for the cardigan. I emailed them to say that I had not contacted them and they replied that I had ordered it over the telephone and had agreed to sign a credit agreement with them. I replied that I had not. I returned the cardigan and a couple of weeks further on,  had a bill for £2.99 for late return - and a catalogue. I haven't signed their contract and have no account with them, but they have all my details! All I can think of is that someone is getting commission for finding new customers and is using ebay fraudulently.

04/06/2013 at 08:23

GG- don't let them away with it! I hope you're not paying the £2.99 either. Too much of this c*** going on. As soon as you buy anything or sign up for anything they sell your info no matter what they say. The day after I moved in here I got a phone call from one of those &((*&^&*(s. No one knew the number (including me!) except Sky. Not hard to work it out.  After my recent stress with a previous utility company I've not heard a word since I emailed them on 5th May. Quelle surprise. I'm still going to go to lawyer about them. Nothing to lose.

04/06/2013 at 09:10

Contact trading standards GG,this may be a scam they are already aware of.

Don,t pay anything,and keep copies of everything they sent or send you.

These people are nothing but bullies trying to scare people into paying for items they have.nt ordered.You could also contact the CAB for advice if you hear from them again.