London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
04/06/2013 at 09:14

Another thought GG,could it be that you have had a key logger or spyware virus on your computer?

Might be worth checking.

04/06/2013 at 10:02

G/G, FairyGirl/ Daughter, now you know why I do not put any details on the laptop, no E/bay no electric banking and if anything come up in the e-mail that I do not know it does not get opened but sent straight to trash.
G/G do not be tempted to pay anything, £2 odd will not sound much but once you pay them then they have you, ignore it.
Fairygirl one of the Saturday papers had ways to beat the cold callers who were sold your details, it seems hitting the # tag three times gets you straight through to a supervisor and you can tell them what you think.
I keep getting mail for my wife two years after she died obviously new mailings as some we never used so those details are still being sold on by firms, it needs stopping.

Frank.

04/06/2013 at 10:10

I'm always getting calls about PPi, ive never had a loan but cant seem to convince them of this. Also all the international calls drive me up the wall at one point i had 8 in one day. How angry. How do i stop these we are on the telephone preference service but it doesnt make any difference

04/06/2013 at 10:16

i kept getting cold calling some indian speaking man who i couldnt really make out waht he was saying.. and when i told him i didnt want to do a survey he said it will only take 3mins,.. said i dont ahve 3 mins.. i am cooking kids tea and have to go.. well he replied.. look this is between me and you.. forget about your kids dinner and answer these questions.. is aid i beg your pardon how dare you talk to me like that and i hung up..

well next day they rang again.. and my hubby answered.. he was fuming and asked to speak to the supervisor.. after some arguing they handed him over to them.. and he told them that we are fed up with these calls everyday all day and into the late evening and if we get one again we will report your for harassment. please remove our number from your list.. and we have not heard from them since.

2 week later we get a call form an engery compnay saying we have been given your details froma survery you took and are contacting you.. i then informed them this was not true and that the survery company were harassing us constantly.. the lady was very nice and said i am sorry about this we will remove you from our list and will be checking on the  company who do the survery to make sure they dont this anymore..

my god it is not right for them to be harassing us like this.. i never do surversy or anything.. because then you get the phone calls from all the companys who pay for that survery.. i do not put anything on line..ever.

GG.. i would have not sent the cardigan back.. under DSR you can have it ready for them to collect .. and as you didnt order it you are not liable to return it.. i would definitely be informing trading standards and the police with fear that your details have been stolen..

04/06/2013 at 10:17

Gardening Grandma..  Don't pay it. Send them a letter headlined "unsolicited goods act"  It is illegal to demand payment for goods that you have not ordered. You did not even have to send them back. It is up to them to pay for the uplift and return.

You could look up the unsolicited goods act on tinterweb.  I have used it several times when things arrive I did not order. When I tell them they have 7 days to pick it up or I put it out for the dustbinman I get a quick response.

At work I was notorious for being "that bloody woman".  I got the job done though. Reps never tried it on twice.

04/06/2013 at 12:29

I do surveys.  Lots of them.  But I do get paid for them, couple of weeks ago I got a cheque for £50 - an awful lot of money for me these days!  That's about 10 months of surveys, though, so it's not like you can make a living at it.  I don't do Toluna ones anymore, you have to do loads, they're really boring and then it takes them ages to send your amazon gift certificate details - actually, they don't email you, you have to check regularly on their website.  The Populus live one is good, you get £1 for every five minutes of your time, that's the one that sent the cheque, their surveys are normally between 5 and 20 minutes long, so not ages, you don't have to do anything, they send a cheque out at the end of the month you get £50 in your account.  The other one I do is 'My Surveys', normally fairly boring but you can rack up 550 points quite quickly for a £5 Amazon voucher, or 575 for a £5 paypal credit.  The other one I do whenever one pops up is Shopper Thoughts, that pays you in Tesco Clubcard points, very useful for topping up to get T&M vouchers.

There was a scam a few months ago, where they ring and say they're from Microsoft, and they've detected a problem on your computer, and get you to go and change the registry settings which renders your computer useless.  They then charge you a daft amount of cash to reset your computer.  Brother in Law told me about that one, he knew it was a scam as he built the computer himself, he just kept hanging up on them.  So every time they rang me I told them 'I'm sorry, I don't know where you've got my details from but I DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER!!'  Obviously a blatant lie, after a stunned silence, or repeating the statement there was something wrong with my computer, and me telling them again, they just put the phone down.  If it was a genuine call, they'd know I did have a computer.

I do get lots of spam, normally from the free competitions I enter.  Worth doing, though, yesterday I won a black & decker steam mop - I already have one, so that will be going on ebay for some extra cash - I normally win something every 8 weeks or so, but I do spend about an hour a day (normally in 10 minute chunks) entering them.  I figure if you enter every day, you're 30 times more likely to win something than someone that just enters once.  Seems to be working so far, this year I've won a goody bag, a 32 inch telly and now the steam mop.  Still waiting for a big cash win!

Cold callers I just say I'm on the TPS, please don't bother me again, then put the phone down.  Rude, I know, but it bugs me.  If they ring straight back, I normally swear at them in punjabi, as English based companies risk a big fine if you're on TPS, doesn't apply to offshore companies.  As they're normally Indian, something along the lines of 'Sally Gutty Ben-Judy'  gets rid of them.  Very rude indeed.  I won't translate unless I get a PM requesting such (don't, it really is very rude).  The benefits of a multi-cultural education.

04/06/2013 at 13:06

A certain double glazing firm that we had some work done with kept ringing us up. After asking nicely, don't ring us, we'll ring you, I had a salesman out.

I've come to do a quote.

Fine quote away.

what do you want doing.?

I want your firm to stop calling me. If you carry on wasting my time, I'm going to start wasting your time.

Even that didn't work. They just rang up to see if I'd accepted the quote. Then I lost my temper. I said I would be logging and taping all future calls and invoicing them for £10 for each one.

The phone calls have finally stopped.

04/06/2013 at 14:17

Re the calls from Indian call centres- the husband of someone I work with said to one' who are you ? I don't know any ***** in India'....

I won't fill in the blanks!- I am a lady after all....

Frank/Dad- I frequently do the hash key on the phone when I call to complain- heard it years ago that you get straight through to a person so it's very useful! Especially now when there's no option to press for 'I want to complain about your b****y  c*** company'. Think I told one of them that too...

Best story I heard about cold calling was the woman who had a conservatory company on the phone. She let them talk for ages and when they thought they had a sale they asked if they could come and measure up etc. That's when she asked them if they could put a conservatory on a 10th floor flat.........

Think they hung up. 

04/06/2013 at 14:33

With Solar panels telephone calls,I let them go all the way through their spiel (they are paying for the call anyway) and then say............"that sounds really interesting I,ll have to ask the landlord"..seems to do the trick

I never do surveys.why should I want to give my details to a complete stranger.I also don,t want all the spam that comes as a result.

I also never press the options for getting through to a company,I,ve found if you do nothing you usually get sraight through to a real person.

04/06/2013 at 14:34

Well, thanks for all your responses. I've read them all carefully and will be taking the advice. This was a reputable mail order firm - someone (I think) wanted to earn  comission for getting new customers, sold it to me via ebay and then used the paypal details to impersonate me with the catalogue. I must have been bonkers to order it but I KNOW I did not telephone them and I never use mail order clothing companies.  I will be writing to them - emails are evidently too easy to ignore. I want to tread carefully because they can affect my credit score (not that I want any credit) by reporting me as a bad payer. This is MY reputation and I want to protect it.

I have an add-on from Firefox which automatically causes cookies to self-destruct and I regard this as further protection against anyone spying on me.

04/06/2013 at 15:13

What makes me angry GG is the fact you have to do that. Your details shouldn't be passed to anyone  without your permission - but they do it anyway.

Gilly -you're right about not pressing any button. I do that as well. Again- ridiculous that we should all have to jump through hoops just to get some basic service from a semi literate person.

And as for that b****y  'Greensleeves'......if I have to hear it once more.....

04/06/2013 at 22:56

A friend advised using a hotmail e-mail address to give to companies when he was suspicious that he wouldn't be able to get rid of them. If it gets too bad just close it & open another.

Many years ago a cousin ordered a cookery book, part of a series but wrote & told them that she didn't want any more. Another was sent, then another until she had the full set. She phoned several times to no avail then wrote to say that the goods were unsolicited & gave them a time limit for collection or would charge them rent (she's a solicitor so has the language!!). They wrote back & said it wasn't worth paying her the postage to return them & she could keep them.

I haven't heard "Greensleeves" for years...........

05/06/2013 at 10:08

Sorry to return to this subject, but this morning's rant is the Post Office - again!

The postman has just delivered another pile of junk-mail, most of it the same as delivered over the last two days - in three days I have amassed nearly an inch of paper! With this junk there were several letters, two dated 27th and 28th May - one was to remind me that my car insurance was due to expire on 1st June ( lucky I had renewed elsewhere!)

I know that the argument is that the Post Office need the junk-mail service to help provide a decent postal system, but a decent postal system is not what I'm receiving at the moment. Then the local Council is constantly nagging us to ensure that every last bit of 'our' rubbish is properly sorted - I'm b......d if I'm going to sort out the Post Office rubbish - it's all just gone in the local postbox for them to dispose of!

05/06/2013 at 12:30

The bane of my life is Virgin media, every week without fail this large envelope drops through the door with a pile of other rubbish, there is nothing on the envelope to say what it is although properly addressed to me, then on opening I find more half price offers. Having told them I do not have, want, or even need be on the same planet as them they still come, Branson would not be a Virgin long if I get my hands on him, why can they not understand that not everyone thinks them the best thing since caviar ice cream, in fact why should I pay them for even more rubbish programmes than are on TV now. Can we bring back hanging quartering and the roasting of entrails whilst still alive please.

Frank.

05/06/2013 at 13:21

@pemtillie.. that is the point thou.. the postal service is getting worse and much more expensive to use.. why? because they dont care about us.. they make money for each piece of junk mail they put thru yr door and the account they have with amazon for delivering hteir post and some of the courier services use them too.. joe public is not their main income anymore.

as i was advised by my postie.. ring your sorting office and request to be removed from the unaddressed junk mail list.. my postie is very happy to have less wieght in his bag. And he said he would get round so much quicker as he doesnt have to go to every damn door in every damn street just to deliver them.

05/06/2013 at 14:36

Log on to the mail preference service (that's similar to the telephone preference service), that will remove all UNADDRESSED mail to your property.

If it has your name and address on it, they still have to deliver it, but it should get rid of the majority of recycling that comes through your door.

Frank, I would write to them (virgin media) and request that your details are removed permanently from their mailing lists.  I don't know if there is an ombudsman for mail, or even an organisation that's similar.  I know when I worked doing the reporting for the call centre, there was an organisation (I forget what it was called) that would fine us thousands of pounds if we persistently called someone on the TPS, or if someone complained they were gettting 'silent calls'.  These are the calls where you answer the phone and no-one is on the other end.  This is down to a piece of software that monitors calls and when it thinks there will be someone free to try and sell you double-glazing/solar panels/PPI mis-selling/other unwanted and unrequested tat, it calls the next number on it's dialling list.  With a computer involved, it often gets it wrong and rings you when no-one is available (I'm sure most folk have experienced this).  Trouble is, it sometimes persistently calls someone with no-one on the other end, and this can be really quite frightening if you live on your own, are elderly or of a nervous dispostion.  So the organisation that looks after call centres comes down on you like a ton of bricks if that happens, you get a mega fine and the person's number is placed on a 'blacklist'.  The blacklist is a very important list in a call centre, as you will pay for a list of numbers from somewhere.  Don't know where, they are not popular with anyone but call centre owners.  The blacklist is then run against the list of numbers, and any blacklist numbers are removed.  Decent call centres (ones UK based that abide by the code of conduct) also run the TPS list against the call list (Telephone preference service).  That's how you get removed from call lists.  Register with the TPS and after  two months contact them and tell them you are getting lots of calls with no-one on the other end.  Most of the time they just blacklist you, sometimes if you're really upset about it they will investigate and find out who the culprit is, and wallop you with a fine and tell you to update your TPS list more often.

Sorry I can't help with the post issue, other than recommending MPS, there must be something similar there - you might like to contact them Frank, I'm sure there is something they can do to ensure your wife's name is removed from all mailing lists, as I'm sure this really hurts when you get something addressed to her after all this time.  If there is something similar for the post, they can find out who is selling her details, whack them with a fine and tell them to pull their socks up and remove her name from the list.  We still get post over the road for my Father-in-Law, and he's been gone for over 10 years.  Some companies have no shame.

05/06/2013 at 17:32

Jeannie- I often do that with the 'extra' email if I'm enquiring or buying something as  a one off. I agree about the junk mail - it's horrendous. They have no conscience. I've just emailed the P.Off (as it's known in my house!) asking for junkmail not to be delivered. Interestingly there's no link for requesting it in a simple way- how convenient!! I prefer to email these things initially if I can because I simply cannot be bothered dealing with the incompetence at the other end of the line. It does my head in.

05/06/2013 at 17:42

Anything unsolicited that comes in the mail that has a return address is sent back to them with their address in the contact details, and anything with an envelope is sent back with another unsolicited piece of mail in it,

It does,nt stop the problem,but it makes me feel better,especially as they are paying the postage to get their own mail back.

06/06/2013 at 12:50

mummy.. i am i getting it right.. you register with TPs.. and then you say the wallop you with a fine.. is that me the person who reigstered or the call centre calling me..

i would like to register on this list an sooo fed up with them 4 times yesterday i did it.. so i hung up other day it was 8.30pm.. told hem what i thought of their time to ring me.

do yo have number.. oh maybe i can look for it myself..

06/06/2013 at 15:00

It's the call centre that gets walloped with the fine, as I used to work for one of the damn places, I often see things from the call centre's point of view.  The fine is to encourage the call centre to re-tune their predictive calling software.

TPS only works for UK registered centres, with the Indian ones (and ones in malaysia now), you're on your own. 

If you enter competitions or anything else where you have to put your phone number, you are probably opting-in to recieve calls - read small print CAREFULLY.

Mobile phones have the Mobile Preference Service, google Telephone Preference Service and that should bring website up.  No need to call, can all be done over tinternet.