London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
09/06/2013 at 12:14

New rant from me, non disabled parking in disabled bays, oh how that riles me. I`ve just come back from taking the OH to the vets to get the dogs claws done ( the OH has fibromyalgia ) as we`ve pulled into the village there`s a guy sat in a disabled bay waiting for his friend to come back from the shop so we`ve had go past and find another spot further away from the vets and the other side of the road.

As we`ve got out of the car and started to walk back to the traffic lights to cross the first driver has driven away ( no blue badge or tax exemption ) to be quickly followed by another bloke in his mid 30`s who gets out and walks straight to a cash machine, There is a possibility i may have shouted some delightful building site language at him as i politely asked him where his disabled badge was  

09/06/2013 at 18:14

Sympathy, Fred! Its really annoying when restrictions are completely ignored.

10/06/2013 at 13:46

I used to get that all of the time with OH's Dad.  He'd had a triple-heart bypass and was on the list to get both knees done (he'd actually lost a full inch in height as they were that shot), so was in a wheelchair.  The number of times someone has been parked in the few disabled bays in the supermarket, with NO blue badge on display was massive, it was actually commented on if he did get a parking space, he did need the extra room for the wheelchair.

On the few occaisions the person came back whilst I was pushing the chair, I actually asked if their disability was ignorance or bone idleness.  Two of them had the grace to look shame-faced, the rest started verbally abusing me, to which I let out my own stream of invective (I do look respectable, but went to school in a virtual de-militarised zone and then working in the offices of a steelworks) that would make a Navvy blush, that coupled with Barrie waving his walking stick and occaisionally making contact with shins (he was a bugger) normally made them very hastily get into their car before the mad sweary woman and cantankerous old git did any lasting damage.

Unfortunately, unless the supermarket or car park charges for parking, there's nothing they can do, and since it's really difficult to get a clamping licence, there's no way of enforcing it, they can just drive off.

If it's really annoying you, you could always accidentally drop some tin-tacks in front of their tyres...

10/06/2013 at 19:18

Or tuck behind their windscreen wiper an official-looking printed (on the computer) notice warning that the disabiity advisory officer has noted their beach of the parking protocol. No action will be taken on this accasion but their number has been noted and any repeat of the offence may lead to a prosecution.

10/06/2013 at 23:40

In a film I saw years ago a young bloke in a convertable drives into disabled parking space, and jumps out of car without even opening the door. Then dashes into a big store. So angered man picks up rubbish can and empties it into the car. At this point the young man comes out of store helping very old, very frail old lady and leads her to the car......

10/06/2013 at 23:53

Bev 

Think I saw that too!

11/06/2013 at 21:07

Hi All just reading these postings first time they are verry enjoyable question Frank where you a member of the old  G/W forum if so i loved youre stories and looked foreward to them

I have always wondered where Kit and all the gang are i loved talking to everybody

JB

11/06/2013 at 22:21

Welcome, James. Hope it isn't the last time we hear from you.

12/06/2013 at 09:57

Back to the cold callers. A man with a strong indian accent phoned told me he wasnt selling anything {ha ha} just wanted a moment of my time. I asked how he had got my number his reply from some data base. I asked the name of his company "Lifestyle UK" and told him i was with the telephone preference service and that i was going to report him. Havent heard from them since but havent had time yet to phone them as my dad was rushed into hospital; again, this time with a suspected twisted bowel. It turned out he has a blockage that is slowly sorting itself out. Major worry as he had bowel cancer 8 years ago. He is on the mend but still very poorly. I desperately need to get to the shops as the cupboards would make Mother Hubbards cupboards look full. Im so tired i dont kn ow which end is up

12/06/2013 at 12:11

I'm sure we all hope your father makes a full recovery, Maud, and that you manage to have a rest. Please do let us know how he gets on.

12/06/2013 at 12:13

Hello and welcome James, yes indeed the same one and only and still putting the odd comment on here.
Been off a bit lately, we had a wedding then a birth a week later and now a funeral yesterday they say it all comes in threes.
Today the gas Maintenance who will be back tomorrow to sort the central heating, those thermostatic valves do not seem to last long and the pump was forgetting to switch itself off, why we pay insurance I suppose and cannot complain about the service, the engineer could not have been more helpful and better still cheerful we had a laugh.
Spend a lot of time with the local history, not many remember the days when the garden and smallholding had to feed the entire extended family, we had the farm as well, I get asked some very funny questions from youngsters who cannot imagine a life before ipods, they do at least listen.

Frank.

12/06/2013 at 12:17

Frank, you never cease to impress me. You are fully involving yourself with life and I'll bet you are a force to be reckoned with!

12/06/2013 at 13:21

HI All great to hear from you frank on the old GW  all you guys were just like family IPADS Mobile Phones went for lunch with my wife three young people sat down at the table beside us and yes out came 3 mobile phones then its all click click click  

JB

12/06/2013 at 19:41
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Frank, you never cease to impress me. You are fully involving yourself with life and I'll bet you are a force to be reckoned with!

G/G you do not get to be a WO1 in the army by being a wet lettuce, get in there and sort it was my motto. My Daughter says take it easy, why? that way you will fade away, keep busy do what you can do without injuring yourself, the way to a long life., "err" well a longer life in my case, a birthday card from the Queen next, maybe, possibly, well hoping.

Frank.

13/06/2013 at 11:31

Frank please excuse me what is a WO1

13/06/2013 at 12:17

James it is a Sergeant Major, a Warrant Officer first class, you get an official warrant when you get the promotion from the war office, still got it.
I was REME so the official title is ASM, Artificer Sergeant Major, when I was doing some training with the Guards at Pirbright it caused some angst, they called us greasemonkeys and we called them button sticks, we got a lot more money than they did. In the end we parted friends.

Frank.

13/06/2013 at 13:14

HI Frank Its the extra few bob that counts times then like now must have being very hard

I am waiteing on my wife to fill out the form i got from M.O.D to apply for her fathers world war 2 medal he is entitled to the Italy gold star and clasp dont know what clasp is maby for pinning on the medal

when i was researching my family tree i met with family i knew nil about my grandfather and there grandfather were brothers my grandfather was killed in Galipolli on the 10/8/ 1915 he was a member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7th bn my new found family applied for there grandfathers W.W.1 Medals an army officer arrived with them plus my grandfathers  saying they could not contact anybody in dublin they were presented to me 2years ago at the Royal Dublin Fusiliers dinner by an retired Irish army general i knew nil about them until the night of the dinner was i chuffed

Sorry if this is boreing and excuse the spelling

13/06/2013 at 13:27

Not boring at all James. You should be very proud.  Funny what turns up when you search your family tree.  I have been doing it off and on for a while now, but came unstuck with the Irish side of the family as all records were destroyed in a big fire years ago.  You will know what I am talking about as you referred me to a possible lead when on Beeb board.  What I did find fascinating was being able to look at the 1911 Census where I found my Grandfather's handwritten completed form.  Never knew much about my Dad's family so it was interesting.  The thing that struck me most was that my Granddad and Dad's handwriting was identical.  Both wrote beautifully. Was good to see.

Know this isn't a rant but it's good to chat.

James, if you're worried about your spelling, there is a spell check (abc) on top bar.  We are spoilt on this forum.

13/06/2013 at 14:11

James the Clasp is an extra award to the medal, you pin it on the ribbon above the actual medallion, we called it a bar, I have two for one of my medals.
You can wear the medals on special occasions and with pride but you must put them on the right side of your coat, the person who earned them wears them on the left side.
Armament Artificer was the top trade and quite hard to get, the extra cash was quite a lot and the second you did pass out after 18 months solid work you became a Staff Sergeant as with all things many failed and there was no second chance in my day.
Tina, on Tuesday we buried my Cousin and I met most of his own family for the first time, I spent the afternoon telling them about their dad's early days, they said they had not known as he never told them, more probably they never listened.
In the end I had to spell it out for them to grasp, his mother was my mothers sister, I think they got it. He was ex army so for many years did not see each other it happens in all families, we have our own itinerary and lose sight of each other. Now they want me to write it all down for them, pity they did not take more notice when he was living.

Frank.

13/06/2013 at 14:16

Frank, my parents told me very little about my antecedents and I now regret that very much, because it is good to know your heritage.