London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
15/06/2013 at 06:36

Makes you feel like going ex-directory, Jon. All one's friends have one's number anyway.

15/06/2013 at 07:08

Hi Gardening Grandma

.  Afraid giong x directory doesn't always stop nuisance calls to home or mobiles, (text messages). Plenty of adverts in any motorway service loos for companies who advertise their ability to get round this. I'm ex my self but still get calls. TPS also unable to stop calls originating from outside UK, so if like my phone with a screen to view number, this shows "outside area" so I donT bother answering. 

Set my answer phone message similar  to following after my intro " if you number not shown in the dial up screen, we will not answer" once they hear that, tend to ring off, but no guarantee.

j

15/06/2013 at 08:30

Frank agree with what you say about th size and cost of the lamb chops in the supermarket, ours also sell what they call a mini beef roasting joint,I would say on average it is about the size of 3 weetabix and sells for abot £6.As my OH says the Oxo cube would match it in size when it is cooked!.

We are lucky enough in our village to have a butchers shop,they farm locally and all the lamb and pork is their own with the beef from another named local farmer.They will cut meat to size &the taste is amazing.It,s a case of use it or loose it,and most of the village chose to use it,

15/06/2013 at 15:16

This is a stupid rant, but something that always bugs me.  Having watched 'Trooping the Colour', as I do every year, why does Princess Anne and Prince Edward dress in military gear?  

Frank?

15/06/2013 at 15:20

I thought Prince Edward had raided his childrens dressing up box,

15/06/2013 at 15:50
GillyL wrote (see)

I thought Prince Edward had raided his childrens dressing up box,

Gilly - old habits die hard....

Enjoyed your OH's comment about the shrinking meat!

Skyrunner - your comment about being ex directory is right. I've always been ex dr.- by accident initially rather than design - and just continued it. Doesn't stop them as you say.

15/06/2013 at 15:56

Dressing up boxes provided hours of fun,all you needed was a bit of imagination and you could be anyone..................imagination seems sadly lacking in a lot of children nowadays.

15/06/2013 at 16:13
TinaTurner wrote (see)

This is a stupid rant, but something that always bugs me.  Having watched 'Trooping the Colour', as I do every year, why does Princess Anne and Prince Edward dress in military gear?  

Frank?

Tina it is not stupid as I also wonder. Prince Edward spent two weeks in the Marines, if it had been me I would have been ashamed to ever wear uniform again, apparently honour does not apply in some cases.
Princess Anne has worked her way up through the Honorary ranks accepting roles in the many military events no one ever hears about though I can assure you they happen often. The reason she did is not obvious although strong rumours did fly, enough said.
My own brush with Royalty was a Royal Duke now dead who arrived drank the Mess dry took the salute being supported on each side and I think from behind as we marched past. The other one was the old Princess Royal who was a very good age even then, she inspected us talking to some of us and I found myself looking down at a small birdlike Lady and her gazing up at me, six foot to her four foot something, at least she was showing interest and did not drink the Mess dry.
Large Parades are the culmination of weeks of rehearsal and in our case REME we still had to keep the work going, funnily the Troops in the main enjoyed them, it was show off time, strut your stuff and be proud. One I did right marker for the whole Parade which meant having every one in the right place at all times during the Parade and one spectacular Parade the CO had been in the mess nearly all night and he mouthed all the orders whilst I in stentorian voice gave them. I often wondered if the General taking the salute ever wondered why the CO's loud voice seemed to come from the back of the ranks when the CO was at the front, we got away with it and the CO bought the drinks in our Mess so another long hard night ensued.

Frank.

15/06/2013 at 16:34

I really love to watch all the ceremonial occasions. The precision of the soldiers is magnificant. I'm sure that, deep down, even though there's plenty of rehearsals, they wouldn't swap their places. Do wonder whether those shouting the orders suffer from sore throats for a few days!

I do know that Princess Anne has 'connections' with the uniform she dons, but I still don't think it's correct.  As for Edward, enough said.  I think it's an insult to whatever uniform he decides to wear at any particular event.  My daughter met him many years ago when she was on work experience at The Really Useful Company.  Don't think she was that impressed. She was eating a bag of hula hoops at the time and he asked what she was doing.  Fortunately, being a very well brought up girl, she was polite.  He was in his theatrical mode at the time. That lasted well too didn't it.

Do remember the late Princess Mary. Austere looking lady.

I don't like all the hangers on and wish they would be made to go out and earn their own living but I like the main players.  Been a fan since the Queen married in 1947. She was simply my Fairy Princess.

15/06/2013 at 17:22

You oiled the sore throats with best Single malt at 7 pence a glass in many long and tuneful nights in the mess, well they did start tuneful.
It was years of practice as you worked up the ranks, I often took what we called singing lessons on the square with the very young Officers, six in the morning they would line up and I would tell them "you will call me Sir, I will call you Sir but you will mean it" then make them give orders with the men at the far end so they had to project the voice. Remarks from me such as "well at least wave them goodbye or for goodness sake do something even if it is fall down dead" would get them flustered.
I once had a reasonable Tenor voice having come up through Church and School choirs to singing in the Troop Concerts we had at the time, that soon went once I got to be a WO, larger troops of men and even bigger Parades, the best oil in the world would not cure that.

Frank..

15/06/2013 at 17:28

Think my children would agree I would have made a good Sergeant Major, Frank.

15/06/2013 at 17:47

Tina, I have a mantleshelf full of cards, the best dad in the world??? Thank you for being the dad you are??? so my children and grandchildren must think me soft!!!

Frank.

15/06/2013 at 18:02

What's wrong with that Frank. It's their way of letting you know what they feel about you.  I know they probably show it all the time but it's that special day.

Two of mine have a competition as to who can get the showiest, slushiest card imaginable. The mantlepiece is the first thing they aim for when they come in and the first words are 'Let's see what he/she has managed this year'. Then they have a row - a friendly one, of course. 

My MD cards are still up! I suppose I will have to take them down now so FD ones can be on display.

15/06/2013 at 20:28

Tina, I think the Princess Royal who spoke to me was Alice, she died in 1981 97 years old it was in the late sixties I saw her so she would be in her 70's then.

My lot try to get the biggest card until Sandra started into making her own, you could call them wall murals.

Frank.

15/06/2013 at 20:55

Frank, I wouldn't argue with you.

What is it about these offspring that they have to compete, in a friendly way.  I'm always being told that middle child is my favourite.  I go along with it now and so does he, so when we are altogether we really play up to it, while the other two look at each other with the 'see what I mean' face.

Gilly, I've only just spotted your post about dressing up box. Very apt remark.  He looked a right plonker and as for Princess Anne, why does she dress like a man?  Mmm.

15/06/2013 at 22:43

Why does she dress like a man you ask, because she lives in her horsey clothes most of the time and cannot find the only dress in the cupboard full of saddles whips etc. Do not ask me why all the whips?

Frank

15/06/2013 at 22:57

Frank I actually thought she looked like one today. Ouch, that was bitchy.

15/06/2013 at 23:25

You are allowed one Tina, it is Saturday night nowt on't tele and the large glass of Malt and water makes the tongue acidic, well three wee drops of it, do not want to dilute the golden dram do we.
Just had a horrendous downpour here it rattled everything, glad I got my heating fixed will need some tonight methinks.

Frank.

15/06/2013 at 23:48

Had my heating on today Frank. Got to keep warm. I've had torrential rain today too.  Have to say it was much needed.

Enjoy your tipple and hope you are seeing the family tomorrow.

I think we've forgotten this the 'rant' thread.

16/06/2013 at 10:30

Morning ranters, a quick wander round the mails etc whilst the oven warms up for the lamb today it is with port wine sauce, using up bottles.

Rant one:- What happened to good old Kellogs flakes? my Daughter tells me I need more roughage so I invest in a packet of mixed grain flakes with a multitude of dry fruits and nuts.
It is like eating what is left on the Wynyard floor after threshing, we bedded the cattle on it and did not make them eat it. My normal breakfast is porridge surely enough roughage there, at my age too much can turn you into a methane making engine, you propel yourself along by jumping in the air  then turning on the jet forward motion.

Rant two:- does anyone find those bathroom spray cleaners actually work?
Five minutes to shower ten minutes to wipe down and dry, I use a hand squeegy and still it dries with a mist on it, it takes the steam cleaner to bring back the shine which slowly mists again just using the shower spray. I sometimes lose my temper and go in with a bucket of Domestos that gets it bright again, the glass spray does not work either, does anything modern work, we never had this problem with the old tin bath and good old block Sunlight soap "aaaagh"

Frank.