London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
16/06/2013 at 12:39

Rant 3. The size of Wagon Wheels, really they have certainly been downsized since those I purchased in the 1960s (there given an idea of my age)

Anybody else agree, dispite what the manufacturer states, that they are in fact the same size?  

J

16/06/2013 at 12:47

Ah - but you can now  fit one easily in your mouth sideways in one go Jon.

Or so I'm told 

Don't like 'em but get then for girls now and again!

Can't beat soapy water and a squeegee Frank/Dad - I use it for windows too. Sprays are hopeless aren't they?

Hope you have a lovely roast lunch today - you shouldn't be doing the cooking though 

16/06/2013 at 13:08

Ah - but you can now  fit one easily in your mouth sideways in one go Jon.

16/06/2013 at 15:56

Wagon wheels hve def shrunk. It used to need two hands to hold one. Mars bars have also shrunk, I never used to be able to eat a whole 6d worth.

16/06/2013 at 18:42

Frank, I clean our shower with white vinegar, leave it to soak for a couple of minutes, then clean off with a rubber window scraper, and polish off with balled-up kitchen roll - always seems to work well. Certainly all the bathroom and kitchen sprays seem ineffective - just like most of the garden sprays and powders nowadays. Shall we blame it on Health and Safety or the EU?

18/06/2013 at 10:51

A rant about the wastage within the NHS. 

Whilst I was at hospital yesterday, sipped away at my coffee,  I listened to the nurses chatting about what was going on within the hospital.  This is my local one where they have already closed A&E and Maternity and, anyone with any sense can see, will eventually close.  Unfortunately, we were linked up with 2 PFI hospitals which are seriously in debt.  Both pieces of land on which these buildings stand will be sold off to try and bring the debt down. Just setting the stage. Quite obviously, admin bods are trying to implement all sorts of cuts within the medical side which isn't going down well.  More admin than medical staff!!  This is all leading to misuse of hospital coffers.  Always wear the wonderful hospital gown which is supplied but now you are issued with another 'throw away' piece of attire. Have had the same procedure 4 times over 9 years and they were never thought necessary before. At what cost to the ailing NHS. Who thought that one up, I wonder? 

One government after another doesn't seem to know what to do with the ailing NHS. How is it that we, the ordinary Joe Public, can see what needs to be done. I watched a programme some years back now, where Gerry Robinson went in and turned a hospital round.  It's a shame they don't take someone in the know to implement changes and get shot of all these overpaid admin bods who know nothing.

Rant ended.

18/06/2013 at 12:28

the thing with wagon wheels.. have they got smaller.. or have our hands just got bigger???

i also use white vinegar for my cleaning.. it is amazing.. mixed with bleach (thou pongs and open all windows) it can be pasted on the grout and rinse after time and whoopie!! clean and white and fresh.

18/06/2013 at 13:39

A Warning to all, be careful, be very careful what you mix in your cleaning buckets, mix the wrong cleaners together and you get Phosgene Gas, the poison gas of the first world war, deadly and in enclosed surroundings a killer, more than one person has died mixing cleaners.
The kitchen and Bathroom can be deadly places as ex-ICI I could make you a bomb, a poison, several gases, and an incendary device all from everyday ingredients in your kitchen and bathroom.
When cleaning Always leave windows and doors open even in winter and those household chemicals are not meant to be mixed. My way is mainly Domestos and water, wipe it on, leave it a few minutes wash it off, squeegee it down and dry. That usually gets the soap scum off the glass and walls though the steamer is best and also dangerous.
Probably it is best to be a slut???

Frank.

18/06/2013 at 15:16

Thanks for the warning Frank but I don't need it.

21/06/2013 at 09:59

Mine eye's will be afflicted and then some?
Yesterday as I got out of the car in T's car park I heard my name called, looking around I saw a smartly dressed lady who I vaguely knew and then this wizened chap with a beard who I had no idea, then the penny dropped.
First I had to put my sunglasses on to stop being blinded then looking at the apparition wondered why, the smartest man in my old planning office had suddenly decided to wear curtains for extra long shorts with a clashing shirt that would have made a Hawaiian wince, ordinary socks and scruffy trainers. In his retirement he had obviously flipped, we talked and I could see his wife knew what I was thinking, her face said it all and so we parted me still well and truly flummoxed but taking note, and in the shop the sun had brought out all the Costa del Sol gear.
Why do men well past their sell by date need to wear those stupid shorts and shirts and men not even reached their years of responsibility if ever they do wear trousers with a waist band which if it was a boot lid would cover the exhaust pipe and nothing else, the crutch around the knees either in hope or expectation.
What is wrong with normal clothes I ask? or is it just me.

Frank

21/06/2013 at 10:16

No Frank, it's not just you.  There's a place for everything and what you describe is not for venturing out in! Only recently, I commented to someone that I wondered whether some people actually looked in the mirror before they ventured out, women included.  I hate this attitude 'I'm only popping to the shops', etc,etc. Where is their sense of pride?  Perhaps we are old fashioned.  Well, so be it.  I like to look my best even when shopping. Do garden in night attire though.

21/06/2013 at 10:26

I agree that dress standards have got very sloppy in recent years, and when I'm in some of the other countries in Europe it's very noticeable how much more effort the locals seem to make. In some places, such as Germany and Italy, there is a decided feel of elegance around, whereas in the U.K, if you venture out in the evening in most towns, half the populace have their backsides falling out of their trousers, or falling out under their skirts!  I suppose, after that little rant, I must be careful what I wear when I go out later!

21/06/2013 at 10:28

No Frank/Dad- it's not just you. Used to just be a mid-life crisis - now it's early, mid and late-life. 

Tina why don't you try that onesie for the shopping?

I believe many people now don't even bother getting dressed to go to the shops to the point where Tesco - I think - has banned them. What is wrong with these people????

Manky - that's what they are.

KEF
21/06/2013 at 10:33

My OH often says "The sight's that you see when you haven't got your gun".

Love the word Manky.

Will add on a serious note that sometimes oddly dressed people are in the early stages of dementia, and no persuading to dress appropriately will work.

21/06/2013 at 10:38

KEF the trouble is the ones I've seen barely look out of school 

Love that phrase of your OH's too!

Is manky just a Scottish term?

21/06/2013 at 10:39

I'll go along with that Kef, but they are few and far between. My late MIL walked around with a shower cap on, bless her. She did get stroppy when we tried to suggest what she should wear and there were times that she didn't look too good. Very sad.

21/06/2013 at 12:36

HI have to agree with frank in dublin the amount of ladies wearing pyjamas going shopping ect dose my head in maby i would not mind if some of them washed them i ask my OH do they go straight to the shops from bed what about haveing A Ashower

JB

21/06/2013 at 13:11

james - my point exactly. As we say here in Scotland ( as well as manky) -  clatty!

You'd think they could at least pull a pair of trousers over them, but I suppose that requires effort too 

Round 'em up and put them in the stocks! 

21/06/2013 at 13:37

Just reading that Tesco in Tiverton has banned what they call 'half-naked' men and women from the store, saying they're a health hazard. Apparently the recent warm weather brought out the shirtless men and barely-clad women, and enough other customers complained that Tesco thought the ban was appropriate.

Perhaps we should all get our coats...................!

21/06/2013 at 14:42

Fairygirl/Daughter, we do speak the same language, "Manky" or "Clarty" being oft used in our area, manky meaning "bad, inferior, defective, dirty and even mutilated" among the printable section.
I was expecting to be castigated for my lack of sartorial savvy although it seems I am not the only one offended by the lack of dress sense.
I Germany we always knew the British visitors by the lack of dress sense and kept away from them not wanting to be associated with such lack of taste. Why any man would wish to don those stupid long shorts is beyond me.
Issued with KD's for over seas (khaki drill) we would try it on, two pairs of shorts very long, two pairs of longs slightly longer than the shorts two KD jackets sack like and three KD shirts charity sack like. The Garrison Tailor would earn a years wages in a week altering it all to fit and box pleating shirts and jackets. The shorts would end up very slightly beneath the knee cap but once out in the field with our bayonets those shorts would look like modern boxer's, just do not let the S/Major see you.
I was always told at school wearing compulsary uniform "Pride in ones appearance is a window on that persons ability" carried on into the Army then my work in ICI, always had at least two clean shirts in the locker just in case.
This rant could become a tome.

Frank.