London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 3°C
21/06/2013 at 18:53

Oh dear,I feel pre historic.

21/06/2013 at 18:55

Why's that Gilly.

21/06/2013 at 19:00

Because I,m in a different era without realising it,not having children means you don,t mentally grow up a generation.

21/06/2013 at 19:21

I've never grown up Gilly. Well, perhaps I'm not quite so daft as when I was young.

21/06/2013 at 19:29

Gilly I've no kids but like to think I'm in touch, except technology, got lost in 2000.

In my view everyone is entitled to do what they like with their bodies I personally don't like tattoos, can't get beyond what was done to the Jews, so maybe I'm now of the older generation.

Tina I hate that earlobe thing, and strongly dislike facial piercings, but I do have pierced ears. That made my father so cross, mutilation in his view, but after I'd had mine done at 18, Mum and younger sister did the same.

Everyone to their own and I think if you are a good and kind person ( and a gardener)  then life is too short to judge others, or to care what others think. So endeth my lesson...

21/06/2013 at 19:34

Well said KEF topic closed.

21/06/2013 at 20:19

On the subject of tattoos, I think some of them are really good, a chap I know on a different internet forum has one on his forearm that looks like bits of the skin have been peeled back to reveal bits of a terminator (rather than bone).  They do look awful when they're several years old and fading to blue, you can have the colour re-injected to keep the colour.

The ones that baffle me are the ones that are chinese writing.  How on earth do you know you've really been tattooed 'angel' or 'dove' or anything similar, and not 'bitch' or 'soup' (you have to watch big bang theory to get that one).

On the subject of heavily pregnant ladies, they should be allowed to wear what the hell they want.  Having had my first at the end of August, I spent the entire  last month of my pregnancy in just a T-shirt, camped out in front of the portable air-conditioner.  If I had to go out, I pulled on an old pair of jodphurs, or the lovely maternity leggings.  If anyone had pointed out my lack of sartorial elegance, I would have hit them with the nearest hard object!  Personally I've always steered clear of anything clingy, especially when I'd got a bun in the oven, the baggier the better.  If I do wear anything that's even reasonably tailored, men of a certain age and upbringing talk to my chest, not to me.  I dress for comfort most of the time, can't understand women that totter around on stilettos, they probably can't understand why I like to spend most of my time in boots (like the purple Dr Marten's boots I smuggled into my sister-in -law's evening 'do' when I was her bridesmaid).  Each to their own, I leave the silly clothes to the Stepford wives.

21/06/2013 at 20:50

What I don't like to see is young children with pierced ears - and you now see babies/toddlers with them. Isn't that child abuse?.. Becoming very difficult if you have children because peer pressure means that 7 and 8yr olds are harrassing their parents to let them get their ears pierced. Glad I'm past all that stuff!

Re tattoos - there was a story on one of the comedy quiz shows  (HIGNFY I think)  a while back about a woman who got her husband to do a huge tattoo on her back. He did - covering her whole back - and she assumed it was a lovely picture as it took ages. What she didn't know was: he knew she was having an affair, so he had tattooed a huge t**d complete with buzzing flies .....

Now that's revenge!!

21/06/2013 at 21:48

I can't say I like tattoos but if that's what young people want to do, then so be it.  I don't take any notice any more because I know they are still the same pleasant people, just got a marble loose. There's a lot of money to be made in the tatoo business because it's so popular and doesn't seem to be on the decrease. 

I was 21 before I had my ears pierced, daughter 13 and granddaughter has been told she can't have hers done until she's at senior school, much to her disgust, being as all her school friends have had them done for years. 

21/06/2013 at 22:15

This probably isn't the right place to moan about this, but why is some boy band popping up shouting about their amazing story on Gardeners World?  Is there any way of telling 'The Wanted' that they're not?

21/06/2013 at 22:19

This is the place to moan about anything

21/06/2013 at 22:26

Are you getting them as well?  Every time I click on the home page they start off yelling about their amazing story, with music, and block up half the screen.  I have to quit from the site, because I can't get the cursor past them to click on anything!  It's highly irritating and I can't imagine why they think Gardeners World members are their target audience ...

21/06/2013 at 23:06

Big rant. What Boy band? I am not getting any of that, is this some kind of favouritism???

21/06/2013 at 23:25

They have gone temporarily!  I think it's actually my/my pc's fault - it has quite a small screen, so the mouse tends to flick over the adverts at which point they burst into life.  Anyway, they are called the Wanted and can't wait to tell you their amazing life history, so if you see a banner on your screen and wave the mouse at it, all paranoia about favouritism will be allayed!

21/06/2013 at 23:44

Sara, how can a Boy Band have an amazing life history, they will be barely out of nappies and still fighting for the fourth fish finger in their sandwich.
I read autobiographies although the writers are often long gone and have had a life, I am retired yet would still not consider my life interesting to others apart from family and they would probably be bored to tears, maybe why we oldies do not talk about it?
Amazing history? I wonder if they ever heard of Sir Winston Churchill, maybe not.

21/06/2013 at 23:57

They have probably never heard of fish fingers, I doubt if McDonalds purvey them.  As for historical ignorance, I caught a bit of some quiz type programme today (while, I hasten to add I was doing a crossword and having a cup of tea) and when the contestant was asked to name the American President, who was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, she said .... JR!  I am not making this up!

22/06/2013 at 08:38

I've read a lot of histories on here, some are interesting, some not so!

22/06/2013 at 10:24

Sara I cringe at some of the answers given to quiz questions and wonder what they are learning in school. Apart from Google there are plenty of history books out there, probably most of them in Charity shops unused unopened unloved, I would give them a home on my book shelves.
Sue, History is in the eye of the beholder or so I found when reading the written report of a Patrol we did, nothing like what actually happened, written up by a clerk in the office, bare bones and short on facts.
I spend a lot of time on the local history board and correct a lot of the hearsay stuff they get in as true, saw it with my own eye's stuff as with one who remembered the Bombs dropping on Norton, he was two at the time???

22/06/2013 at 13:43

According to some of the folks I used to work with, the Battle of Britain took place in 1066.

The trouble is, you tend to start off in school with things like the Romans, which is soooo long ago, no-one in school gives a foetid dingo's kidney about.  Yes, we are bloodthirsty little darlings, so love the stories about Guy Fawkes being hung, drawn and quartered for trying to blow up the houses of Pariament, but by the time you get to choose options at school, most people have been completely put off, by things that happened centuries ago, that don't seem to have anything to do with the world today.

When I did GCSE History, we did the history of the American West, and the History of Medicine.  The history of medicine was great, as you got to learn lots of gory stuff, like the flagellants who thought that the plague was punishment from God, and went around whipping themselves to show penitence in the hope that God would spare them.  Didn't work of course.  Then there were sewers and public health, in ancient Rome the main sewer was named the cloaca maxima and you could drive a horse and cart through it.  Then War, major advances in medicine are always driven by war, from the easiest way to remove a barbed arrow, to ampuation, penicillin and the Guinea Pig Club.

I don't know about now, but we don't seem to be teaching the Modern stuff that has a bearing on the world today.  When I explained about Harold getting an eyeful in 1066 and that being the Battle of Hastings, and 1940 being the year of the Battle of Britain, and how the first world war lead to the second, and the assasination of the Archduke Ferdinand by a pissed-off Serbian starting the first big one off, questions were coming thick & fast, some I could answer, some not, by the time I went back to my desk, the questions I couldn't answer were being Googled.  So it's not the fault of the kids, because with the right spark, they are really keen to learn about the World Wars, and how we used to live, the Blitz, Rationing, Conscription, Reserved Occupations, Conchies, the lot.  The teachers are equally keen to teach them our rich heritage, but their hands are tied by the National Curriculum, if it's not on there, they don't have the time to teach it.

I was lucky, my Mum started my love of history by stories of her being terrified by the big burbling things in the sky, where you were OK as long as they were noisy, but terrifying when they cut out - she was describing the V1 Doodlebugs, and the kitchen table she was sheltering under was a Morrison Shelter.  At the time, she lived in Hastings, and was 9 when the war ended.  I also know about PLUTO, as she saw the boats it was loaded on to, and she remembers balancing on the big pipes they had in hastings, connected to containers of oil, in order to set the sea alight if anyone tried landing in Hastings.

History can come alive if you have the right person describing it.  They don't have to have been there (but it helps!), that questioning spark we all have within us just needs to be set alight.  Knickers to the Romans, we need to be teaching our children recent history, whilst the folks that lived through it are still around to tell their stories.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori.

22/06/2013 at 14:17

Like your comments MMP, and agree with everything you said. Not sure I agree with 'knickers to the Romans' though, especially as you finished up with a quote by Roman poet and satirist, Horace