London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
21/06/2013 at 15:34

Another give-away is men's shoes. When I worked in the City of London, many of the Hoorays wearing suits costing hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds, had shoes that hadn't been cleaned in weeks. At crucial meetings, little signs like that made all the difference in my perception and handling of people.

My daughter has always taken care of her shoes, and she tells people that she used to watch her Daddy polishing his shoes every night, and always felt so proud watching me go off to work!   .......a salutary lesson that every action ( or indeed lack of action ) has a reaction.  Unfortunately, if parents are slobs, invariably their children will go down the same route.

21/06/2013 at 15:44

I also hate,piercings in the lips and through the tongue which seem to go with most of the above mentioned garb,and exposed middles with pieced belly buttons

Agree that trousers with the crutch hanging down around the knees,and those shorts are the worst.Would also like to nominate heavily pregnant ladies in tight lycra mini dresses clinging to the bump teetering around in ridiculously high heels.

21/06/2013 at 15:48

I always think that those trousers with the crutch hanging around knee level, look like the person has just filled his nappy.

21/06/2013 at 15:50

From the exposed bits of backside that you often see,don,t think many of them wear nappies.

21/06/2013 at 15:59

We've opened up a real can of worms here!!

Pentillie I used to work with horses and ponies produced for the show ring so attention to detail was vital. Well polished boots (and hooves!) were standard. An immaculately produced but slightly inferior animal could look head and shoulders above a better type which was poorly presented - especially if the performance was also immaculate.

And men in shops without tops on....please stop it!!!!!!

Gilly - how on earth do they walk in them? 

21/06/2013 at 16:03

They do a kind of shuffle Fairygirl,suppose the shuffle is in time with the music they permanently have plugged into their ears.

21/06/2013 at 16:48

The other huge downside of all the exposed flesh is the number of people covered in pathetic tattoos - as an artist myself the so-called artwork is terrible! The idiots who pay for this horrible doodling are hopefully so dim that they don't realise how ridiculous they look. 

21/06/2013 at 17:35

Had a lifetime of highly polished boots and shoes and the soles, try polishing the brass eyelets on those boots without getting metal polish on the black bit.
I did draw the line at polishing my carpet slippers and the issue sand-shoes, none of those fancy joggers in my time in fact never worn a pair in my life probably why I still have good feet.
The pathetic tattoos have me totally baffled why would someone desecrate their bodies with them and rings everywhere I would call it tribal apart from all else.
They may just as well go the whole hog and wear feathers woad and bands to elongate the neck, oh and how about lip discs?

Frank.

21/06/2013 at 17:44

Hi hi, you mean like this?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25961.jpg?width=353&height=350&mode=max

KEF
21/06/2013 at 17:50

Manky is used in Yorks, but Clatty is a new one to me..love it.

Shoes..my job from being 9 was shoe cleaning each night down the cellar, Dad's work shoes, our school shoes and play shoes. No prob until one night on way back up ( I missed them on the way down) 2 pheasants hanging by their necks on an old clothes horse...screamed my head off, daren't walk past. I'm still a bit timid about bright coloured birds.

No one liked the taste except Dad.( well they were free ! ).Manky big fashion.

21/06/2013 at 18:42

Good job you can't see my son and SIL, Pentillie and Frank.  Both covered in tatoos and son has a huge hole in his earlobe with some sort of fixture in it. Can hold a cigarette.  I am constantly telling them they will regret it when they reach old age, but they don't listen.  However, all I will say is never judge a book by it's cover.

They are of a different era.

21/06/2013 at 18:53

Oh dear,I feel pre historic.

21/06/2013 at 18:55

Why's that Gilly.

21/06/2013 at 19:00

Because I,m in a different era without realising it,not having children means you don,t mentally grow up a generation.

21/06/2013 at 19:21

I've never grown up Gilly. Well, perhaps I'm not quite so daft as when I was young.

KEF
21/06/2013 at 19:29

Gilly I've no kids but like to think I'm in touch, except technology, got lost in 2000.

In my view everyone is entitled to do what they like with their bodies I personally don't like tattoos, can't get beyond what was done to the Jews, so maybe I'm now of the older generation.

Tina I hate that earlobe thing, and strongly dislike facial piercings, but I do have pierced ears. That made my father so cross, mutilation in his view, but after I'd had mine done at 18, Mum and younger sister did the same.

Everyone to their own and I think if you are a good and kind person ( and a gardener)  then life is too short to judge others, or to care what others think. So endeth my lesson...

21/06/2013 at 19:34

Well said KEF topic closed.

21/06/2013 at 20:19

On the subject of tattoos, I think some of them are really good, a chap I know on a different internet forum has one on his forearm that looks like bits of the skin have been peeled back to reveal bits of a terminator (rather than bone).  They do look awful when they're several years old and fading to blue, you can have the colour re-injected to keep the colour.

The ones that baffle me are the ones that are chinese writing.  How on earth do you know you've really been tattooed 'angel' or 'dove' or anything similar, and not 'bitch' or 'soup' (you have to watch big bang theory to get that one).

On the subject of heavily pregnant ladies, they should be allowed to wear what the hell they want.  Having had my first at the end of August, I spent the entire  last month of my pregnancy in just a T-shirt, camped out in front of the portable air-conditioner.  If I had to go out, I pulled on an old pair of jodphurs, or the lovely maternity leggings.  If anyone had pointed out my lack of sartorial elegance, I would have hit them with the nearest hard object!  Personally I've always steered clear of anything clingy, especially when I'd got a bun in the oven, the baggier the better.  If I do wear anything that's even reasonably tailored, men of a certain age and upbringing talk to my chest, not to me.  I dress for comfort most of the time, can't understand women that totter around on stilettos, they probably can't understand why I like to spend most of my time in boots (like the purple Dr Marten's boots I smuggled into my sister-in -law's evening 'do' when I was her bridesmaid).  Each to their own, I leave the silly clothes to the Stepford wives.

21/06/2013 at 20:50

What I don't like to see is young children with pierced ears - and you now see babies/toddlers with them. Isn't that child abuse?.. Becoming very difficult if you have children because peer pressure means that 7 and 8yr olds are harrassing their parents to let them get their ears pierced. Glad I'm past all that stuff!

Re tattoos - there was a story on one of the comedy quiz shows  (HIGNFY I think)  a while back about a woman who got her husband to do a huge tattoo on her back. He did - covering her whole back - and she assumed it was a lovely picture as it took ages. What she didn't know was: he knew she was having an affair, so he had tattooed a huge t**d complete with buzzing flies .....

Now that's revenge!!

21/06/2013 at 21:48

I can't say I like tattoos but if that's what young people want to do, then so be it.  I don't take any notice any more because I know they are still the same pleasant people, just got a marble loose. There's a lot of money to be made in the tatoo business because it's so popular and doesn't seem to be on the decrease. 

I was 21 before I had my ears pierced, daughter 13 and granddaughter has been told she can't have hers done until she's at senior school, much to her disgust, being as all her school friends have had them done for years.