London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
141 to 160 of 1,728 messages
28/02/2013 at 19:45

Actually GG I always find the best bit is the National Anthems and the singing during the match.  Not wishing to be unpatriotic, but do wish we could have an alterative anthem.  Used to live within spitting distance of Twickenham ground, so when a big match was on you had to get out early unless you wanted to stay in all day.

My sympathies Artjak.  Fortunately, only have your problem on the pavement outside house.  One particular dog, not yet caught the culprit owner.  Another gripe!!

28/02/2013 at 19:56

Good evening all ,on the subject of dog poo a neighbour of mine recently collected a certain dogs poo and brought it the owners house( it was in a clear plastic bag) and gave it to the woman of the house ,saying your DOG left this in my garden .the dog is now brought for walks on a leash  . if the local dog warden catches a dog pooing and its with the owner the fine is a hefty €800

Derek

28/02/2013 at 19:59

Artjac, if only people looked after their gardens the whole environment would be different for us all. Also, working in the garden you get to meet and talk to your neighbours and maybe swap a plant or two. I don't understand people who are oblivious to the environment and don't seem affected by whether it is beautiful or ugly. I'll bet it is the same people who don't pick up after their dogs (actually, I first wrote this as 'don't lick up after their dogs' but I suppose that is asking a bit too much!) To me, it is a sign of ignorance and utter selfishness. Rant over.

Derek, I hope the fine is for not picking up poo rather than letting your dog poo, or I'd be down thousands. Mine usually do two poos each on a walk and I'm to be seen with a couple of well-filled black plastic bags dangling from my fingers. I used to have to go to a bin a couple of streets away but the council have now put one near my house. Perhaps they have heard about my dogs and their excessive poo production! I also have to garden in poo-proof gloves.

28/02/2013 at 20:15

GG

28/02/2013 at 20:26
I trod in some dog pooh the other week when I was out in the garden, it was soft and went into all the grooves in my wellies, nightmare of a job to clean and nobody came near me for a week.
28/02/2013 at 20:28
Hi artjak....
28/02/2013 at 20:36

My gardening shoes are awaiting cleaning at this very moment!  Think I may feel more up to the job in the morning. Or after the weekend...

28/02/2013 at 20:39

Hello Flower Bird.

Frank, just read your post a few pages back about neighbours. I heard a lovely story a few years ago (40?) A man is about to buy a house in an area he doesn't know; he sees an old lady in the front garden next to the prospective purchase and says, 'What are the neighbours like around here, are they allright?'

She replies, 'They are probably the same as where you live now'.

I guess the moral is that unless we are really living next to a sociopath, the way our neighbours are is no more irritating than the way we are.

28/02/2013 at 20:42
Ha ha, somebody after my own heart GG.........checking out now good film on the telly, nite guys.
28/02/2013 at 20:45

Me, irritating? Moi? I'm the only one with any sense in the entire street! Nobody speaks to me but it isn't because I'm a pain! It is entirely their own poor taste.

Isn't it....?

28/02/2013 at 21:50

it certainly is GG although its getting late my rant for the day is cos my back garden runs alongside a school playing field the kids(the little angels) congregate in a corner two feet away from the boundery to have a fag then they decide to throw whats left of there lunch over my garden,bananas,tune rolls the lots,the other day they took great delight in pulling off a branch and lobbing it over, i phone up the school,who do nothing i shout at the kids who give me a load of abuse so latly i collectit all up and just lob it back.i doubt if the headmistrice know what goes on should i write to her, rant over ahh thats better

28/02/2013 at 23:11
Omg. Quick confession. Used to be doctors receptionist! ! Some patients were really rude. Had a terrible time.
28/02/2013 at 23:20

Gardening Granny - I wonder if we are neighbours???  I too have a new development at the bottom of my garden (and my next door neighbours', and my next door but one neighbour too!)  On a plot which was substantial for one property, but not big enough for two, they have built a big house at the road end, with a postage stamp, walled garden, and a bungalow across the entire width of the rest of the plot, about 10 feet from my back fence.  When I objected, I was told I had no right to light - only to not being overlooked!  I understand we can thank Mr. Prescott for this change to the planning laws.  Bet it wouldnt have got planning permission at the bottom of his garden!!!  The easing of planning regulations on building in gardens was to encourage the building of 'low cost' housing.  By no stretch of the imagination are either of these two buildings low cost.  Sheer greed on behalf of the man who sold the plot in the first place.  In my case, the bungalow is for the parents, the house for the daughter and son in law and their family.  Which is fine now, but I bet they'll struggle to sell them on in years to come.  Certainly hope so, anyway.  Serve them right!  Gosh, I feel a bit better now!

28/02/2013 at 23:32

Sue H wrote (see)

Omg. Quick confession. Used to be doctors receptionist! ! Some patients were really rude. Had a terrible time.

I shouldn't have generalised Sue and I'm sure there are rude patients as there are rude people in all walks of life.  However, my own experience of my surgery is that they are immediately on the defence and never try to help. 

Chica, when my children were at senior school, one of the punishments given was to spend their lunch break picking up rubbish dropped by pupils, even though huge bins were provided. Obviously they hated it.  I expect parents today would think that too demeaning. 

28/02/2013 at 23:47

My rant Gardening Grandma is being named as some one else.

Gardening Grandma wrote (s

Derek, I live just down the road from the REME. My mother worked there during the war (before your time, of course) though I'm not sure what she did.

Did you mean FRANK as Derek did not mention REME. We had women office workers as well as civvy fitters plus women cooks so we got a lot of Cawl and Barra Brith, hot cold with custard or butter on and cooked into bread pudding with left over Naafi cake, not the Cawl.
My wife dragged me to see Max Boyce and I ended up with records and video's, he reminded me of the cheeky Welsh Humour. And probably a dark haired Welsh girl, well I never forgot her did I.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 00:31
Palaisglide wrote (see)

My rant Gardening Grandma is being named as some one else.

Gardening Grandma wrote (s

Derek, I live just down the road from the REME. My mother worked there during the war (before your time, of course) though I'm not sure what she did.

Did you mean FRANK as Derek did not mention REME. We had women office workers as well as civvy fitters plus women cooks so we got a lot of Cawl and Barra Brith, hot cold with custard or butter on and cooked into bread pudding with left over Naafi cake, not the Cawl.
My wife dragged me to see Max Boyce and I ended up with records and video's, he reminded me of the cheeky Welsh Humour. And probably a dark haired Welsh girl, well I never forgot her did I.

Frank.

No one forgets welsh girls.. for better or worse.. trust me I've had my share, I settled on someone completely different, couldn't be happier.

01/03/2013 at 07:22

Sorry, Frank!! You are right - I got muddled. You are right about cheeky Welsh humour - that's a good way to put it.

Oh Brummie, that is rather touching (even though your wife is not W elsh!) It is a mistake to try to lump Welsh girls together, too, because there are different cultures in Wales like everywhere else - valley culture, Vale of Glamorgan posh, etc.  All good, all different.

Sue, you reveal the other side of the picture. Perhaps receptionists get defensive because some people are rude and then come across as rude themselves - or some of them, anyway.

As for the behaviour of those darling children, Chica, I can speak from my lifetime as a teacher. Write to the Head, giving dates and instances. Say roughly how many children are involved. Unless she is useless, she will do something. There are teachers on duty at lunchtime who could patrol that part of the field and if necessary, they could even make it out of bounds. Children who are little angels at home sometimes turn into little when they are unsupervised and feel they can get away with giving cheek to a stranger. If you still get trouble, the school should have a photograph of evey child and you could go there and identify them. Get the school on your side by being firm but utterly charming to the head and senior staff and let them know that you have entire confidence in their ability to deal swith this. (Yes, I know...) If you don't get satisfaction, try writing to the chairman of the governors or the Director of Education. Be charming at all times - you don't want to be categorised as a difficult person making a fuss about nothing. If you shout at the kids, you could provoke them to a trial of strength - children only obey someone they know has authority and with whom they are in a relationship like teacher/pupil (mpost of the time).

I could now engage in a rant about thew bahaviour of children. Believe me, I am tempted.

01/03/2013 at 07:31

Karen, this is also happening to my sister in law.  Horrid! The development at the bottom of my garden is from the 1950s. Whoever owned my bungalow at the time sold off the end of the garden!!! That's why it is small. This bungalow was supposed to be our retirement home, suitable for our old age, so we bought it opposite my son and grandchildren and chose a suitably stairless home with a small garden. Since then, my son has moved away, we've had to put in stairs and an upstairs bedroom to help accommodate the five of them when they come to stay and the size gets on my nerves!  Especially the garden!

It is quite nice really, Just moaning!

01/03/2013 at 10:37

GG - I too hoped this would be my last move.  I sold my previous flat for exactly the same reason - unobstructed views of open countryside were destroyed by somebody building a house in what had been garden.  When I moved here 5 years ago there was a large mature garden behind me, and one to the side.  Now there is building behind me as mentioned, and the house to the side has also obtained planning permission to pull down the existing bungalow and build another bungalow and a house on the one plot.  In this case though, the other neighbours have slapped a tree preservation order on some big cherry trees to protect their own outlook.  Thanks very much.  Though the trees are lovely, this just means that the new proposed house will be built about 20 feet away from mine, and staggered (ie not in line with my property) thus taking even more light from my garden.  Again, I have no right to light, only to not be overlooked.  Net result?  Big gable end of 2 storey property, with no windows, overshadowing my entire back garden.  If they go ahead with this development I shall be asking for advice on what I can plant in the dark!  Since my working days are almost over (or at least, I hope they are - state pension keeps getting further and further away) I dont have the option of moving again.  I'm just going to have to put up with it!   Aaaargh!!!!!

01/03/2013 at 10:44

My rant today is about the "moue-moue" what on this earth is that all about.
At one time you shook hands with ladies and men or in my school days doffed my cap. Aunts got a kiss on the lips by demand "err" what in this PC world would they call that these days I wonder.
As time passed suddenly it was a kiss on the cheek (for the ladies not the men) that developed into the miss the cheek and kiss the air near lug hole.
That became miss cheek and kiss air near both lug holes and it has suddenly got to be left right left three when we only have two lug holes.
What does it mean why do people do it (I do not) and what is wrong with a hand shake, you get more germs off a supermarket trolley than you would off a hand shake.
I just hate the "moue-moue" rant over.

Frank.

141 to 160 of 1,728 messages