London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1,601 to 1,620 of 1,728 messages
22/06/2013 at 21:38

Frank, I love your final paragraph, in phrase in sentiment and wisdom.

22/06/2013 at 22:42

Fairygirl/Daughter you did right, though I did get into trouble for asking questions.
In the days we put on our Sunday best and went to the Village Church as a family and also attended Sunday school plus choir practice we were lectured on Biblical themes, I am afraid that even then I queried what I was told much to the astonishment of the local Vicar later Canon. He would as was the norm back then try corporal punishment, water off a ducks back to me, my brain said he does not know so I get punished for his being unable to argue the case. In our house at a time children were seen and not heard we were encouraged to talk through the days happenings, the news, and anything else we wished. At secondary school where we would be encouraged to ask questions, research our subjects and being only 14 in the class helped, we got almost one to one tuition.
I say my progress through life was down to my parents healthy attitude and the solid schooling we got from top class teachers and thank them.
Pentillie as a lad we were never encouraged to mix with Catholics, they differed from us so we were told, lads being lads we all played together but marry one? A friend had to marry in the registry office because he was C of E she was Catholic neither church would marry them and it was the case well into the early sixties.
I came back from the Middle East with a hatred of all things Jewish and was re-educated by a lovely Jewish Lady who convinced me you cannot hate a Nation, she was right and I was so wrong and admitted that fact. I am now firmly convinced we should not interfere in National Politics, two sides to every story and which is right??
I watched them all today, Children and Grandchildren, all the add ons who I never see as in-laws but extra Sons and Daughters, mixing laughing helping get the tea clear away wash up watching the wedding video's and all even the very youngest commenting, I think Joan and I did a good job bringing up a well mannered and very sociable family.

Frank.

28/06/2013 at 21:42

I've enjoyed reading over these really interesting and intelligent entries, catching up after being away for a couple of weeks. FG, I so agree about asking questions on class. I always told my pupils that asking questions was a sign of intelligence and that there were no stupid questions. Stupidity was not asking questions. I was brought up to be atheist and am now a Christian, because I asked questions and looked for answers. I taught religion and gave two sides of every argument, always encouraging pupils to argue, think and debate until they found answers that satisfied them. Anything else is indoctrination and is completely counter-productive and worthless, as well as disrespectful.

I loved reading Sara's comments about all educational topics being interrelated, too. Wisdom is seeing the connections between things. I read somewhere that, as people get older, the way their minds work changes. They no longer collect facts and information and find these things harder to remember because their minds are now examining the relationships between things and developing a philosophy of life, which is real wisdom. So age really does bring wisdom, as traditional cultures have always taught.

29/06/2013 at 21:32

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/teachers-and-staff/edu82.gif

30/06/2013 at 07:59

GG  

30/06/2013 at 08:12

30/06/2013 at 17:06

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/cartoons-about-reading/toon_90.gif

01/07/2013 at 07:41

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/7/O/c/2/educated-elites.jpg

01/07/2013 at 07:57

GG- how true 

01/07/2013 at 08:08

having read a thread about problem neighbours, I would like to rant about People With Loud Voices. We were in a fairly posh restaurant once to celebrate our werdding anniversary. It was full but one man with an enormously loud voice dominated the whole room because everyone else was forced to listen to his conversation. He was quite self-important and quite oblivious to the fact that everyone else could hear him. We all learnt that he was a Judge and was having dinner with a family member. The family member told him about various mutual acquaintances and, because none of us could hold a conversation of our own, we heard what she said, too. Eventually, she told him about someone who had just divorced her husband because he had a gay lover.

'GOOD GOD,' expostulated the Judge, 'DIDN'T SHE KNOW?'

At this point, there was a muffled, united laugh from the entire restaurant. Our evening was not exactly enhanced by this experience, though.

Worse are the people who not only talk loudly but use foul language, effing about this and b-ing about that - and women who shriek with raucous laughter, especially after a glass or two.  

Feel better now!

01/07/2013 at 15:57

A good rant too GG.  I think it's quite common for youngsters to be loud as they are trying to get their point across over all the other's trying to do the same.  Made the mistake of returning from a shopping trip just at the time when a local girls' school came out.  It was actually rather funny, listening to what this one and that one had said/did and what 'Miss' had said, etc, but the noise.

Also, was on a bus when a women proceeded to have a row on a mobile phone.  It was quite easy to piece the story together! So embarrassing, but she didn't seem to think anything of it. 

Some folk are strange.

01/07/2013 at 17:57

Well, children and teens do shout, competing with each other to be heard, and that is uunavoidable. I found that if I allowed a class to talk, the noise was unbelievable. If I told them to whisper, they talked aloud. If I told them to be silent and gave them the evil eye, they whispered. Guess what I did! I'm just so glad I don't have to do it any longer!!!!! I'm finding that I like peace and quiet in my own home. Could it be because I am now edging towards 28?

01/07/2013 at 19:50

I would,nt know GG because I,m only 26 not yet 27

I also hate people who leave their mobile phones switched on in restaurants ,so that they can share their stupid ringtones and conversations with other diners.

01/07/2013 at 21:25

And they don't even go out to make their call, but make everyone listen. Perhaps we need to define what good manners are in a digital age.

01/07/2013 at 21:35

"Good manners is acting appropriately in a way that's socially acceptable and respectful, in order to display respect, care, and consideration for others. Excellent manners can help you to have better relationships with people you know, and those you will meet."  Rita Leyton, my English Teacher circa 1975.

I think this definition can cover all ages from steam to digital, don't you?

01/07/2013 at 21:58

Yes Sara- it's a pity so many people nowadays just don't understand that simple fact. No manners, no respect- for anyone or anyone's property. Depressing.

01/07/2013 at 22:05

Cheer up, lots of people do - and it isn't necessarily just 'yoof' that don't have any manners either!

01/07/2013 at 22:29

Good principle, Sara, and your teacher sounds a wise lady.  I really meant that we need to define exactly what constitutes good manners when using a mobile phone in a public place, though.

FG, I seem to remember that you had a run in with rude people recently.

01/07/2013 at 23:29

I vote that all public transport, shops and public places and my house should have a mobile phone ban like they have in the doctors. They're even allowed in hospitals now, if you can manage to get a reception.

And another thing, people who play their music so you can hear it, even though they have headphones. Why can't people just sit and relax these days?

02/07/2013 at 11:09

HI I begining to hate July and August school holidays last night i had to remove at least eight children for want of a better word from the front of my house at eleven thirty all mouth where are the parents summer holidays are too long two to three months they are bored glad i got that off my chest  

jb

1,601 to 1,620 of 1,728 messages