London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1,661 to 1,680 of 1,716 messages
23/07/2013 at 21:33

There look to be two garden companies nearby and I've found a site on line where, after describing the job to be done, I receive 3 quotes.

I just want the problem to go away and thought it had until last weekend. I'll take before and after pics just in case they're needed at a later date and will be mindful not to cut to close to the boundary.

I don't relish the thought of telling him the plan, but of course, the reason for it is due to the climbers becoming over grown on my side and begining to climb up the house and if he can think of a better solution I'd be happy to listen. I'll be able to ask where he would like me to put his trimmings .  

The jury's still out as to whether to tell him but I'd take a friends OH for moral support, if I do. One does spring to mind, who is as placid as a lamb but appearances can project a different picture.

A dog's out of the question, I have a cat and work full time although it's a nice thought. 

Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll get the quotes tomorrow.   

23/07/2013 at 22:37

"I'll be able to ask where he would like me to put his trimmings ."

I have a suggestion but it's not printable! 

23/07/2013 at 23:52

You don't have to tell him about your plan; just do it.  The trimmings can be put in rubbish bags or those large 'skip' bags, and put in his front garden.  It sounds like the less contact you have with him the better. 

23/07/2013 at 23:57

Re tape recording him - I just looked on 'a well known auction site' and there are proper dictaphones for about fourteen quid with tapes included.  Easy to turn on if he starts playing up and non new age technical!

24/07/2013 at 00:04

Nice to see this thread resurrected. Horrid situation to be in - we also have a neighbour we find it best to ignore, he has been rude so often. My only comment on all the good advice given is that dictaphones often need to be held next to the mouth because they aren't very powerful.

24/07/2013 at 00:17

That's probably true - I hadn't thought of that (horrible memories of a temp job as an audio typist about 100 years ago is my closest recent experience of them!)

24/07/2013 at 07:26

Can I add myown rant ( nothing as distressing as yours Zoomer ).

It's the seagulls- all they do day and night at the moment is squalk

24/07/2013 at 09:09
The potty gardener wrote (see)

Can I add myown rant ( nothing as distressing as yours Zoomer ).

It's the seagulls- all they do day and night at the moment is squalk

I have the same problem with sparrows, one sits on the roof and another in my shade tree and they screech at eachother for hours. I wouldn't mind if they would "sing", but the screeching really get on your nerves!

24/07/2013 at 09:20

I live fairly near the sea and seagulls are often inland, especially if the weather is bad. I don't mind the noise - its the target practice that really irritates me. How did they get so expert at hitting my washing???

KEF
24/07/2013 at 09:20

Years ago I saw a sign. "Keep Scarborough tidy eat a seagull"..

It's the magpies that make all the din in our garden, but at least if you clap they fly off. Think they go off to steal tomatoes elsewhere.

24/07/2013 at 14:54

My MOB rant is about hosepipe connectors.  The hozelock type that you screw onto the tap.  

Someone is going around the allotment and stealing them!  I took to hiding one under my water tanks and they've even taken that one!  I know they're not expensive, but when you're all set up with hose and have a tap available it's very frustrating to then have to go shopping for another connector.  Especially when you get back and find the tap is now in use for the next two hours.  I am now taking it home, but it's yet another thing to remember to take with me.

The only birds I have issues with are pigeons - they totally stripped (I mean everything) my OH's runners and pumpkins on one plot.  She was not best pleased.  The seagulls seem to be able to target our two kids which is often very funny.

24/07/2013 at 18:19

Seagulls yeah.. they go on late then start again about 3am.. and the magpies.. sqwaking to each other.. and r bullies in my garden.. they chase off all other ground feeding birds.

Then theres the foxes all night screeching.. I love nature... but its pi

Pushing its luck at mo.. keepin me up when have just gone off with this heat.I

24/07/2013 at 18:52

KEF - I've sorted the magpies with my 'mesh door covers'...  little b*****s.

Thay are clever though. 

Re the seagull sign - about 30 years ago I bought my BIL a sticker for his car which read 'preserve wildlife - pickle a squirrel'. He loved it but I don't know how well it went down with his boss.

He worked for the Nature Conservancy Council.....

24/07/2013 at 19:36

FG

24/07/2013 at 20:05

Totally true GG!

24/07/2013 at 20:45

I once stgod in a shop and giggled helplessly at signs like that for an embarrassingly long time. Unfortunately, the ones I remember were too rude to repeat on here. I wish I could!!

24/07/2013 at 23:13

The seagulls at Blackpool zoo are planted there to stop you loiting at picnic tables.  When I was left guarding a table whilst everyone else went to the loo a little boy came over, threw down some broken sandwiches then wandered. I'm  thinking, how sweet... but within seconds it was like a scene from the 'birds'. I fled the table for my life..by the time everyone immerged from the loo's it was a scene of tranquility again and a family of six were seated at our table. They thought me a wuss for deserting the table, you had to be there though.  

We had a similar experience with peacocks at a farm. What a silly place to put picnic tables right in the middle of where the peacocks were housed. They came and stood on the table, we were so stunned, although wide eyed even the children were calm, we packed up the picnic and slowly retreated out of the enclosure followed by the entire flock of peacocks eyeing the picnic 

Next time we go out, wherever it is, I'm gonna suggest a nice Brewers Fare with play park to wind down the day

24/07/2013 at 23:29

the birds arent so bad where i live but all my neighbours cats have decided to keep meeting up in my garden and hosting a midnight fight club on my shed roof, the sounds they make are unbearable !!

25/07/2013 at 07:28

25/07/2013 at 08:12
Ellis Tagg wrote (see)

the birds arent so bad where i live but all my neighbours cats have decided to keep meeting up in my garden and hosting a midnight fight club on my shed roof, the sounds they make are unbearable !!

That's what happens when cat owners are too mean/lazy to get their cats neutered/castrated!

However, since you are awake anyway, why not go out there and get the hose on them, preferably with the strongest spray. Do that a couple of times and they will probably get the message!

1,661 to 1,680 of 1,716 messages