London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1,661 to 1,680 of 1,728 messages
20/07/2013 at 12:52

Can't imagine nothing happening this week, will let you know how things go.  I'm off to get a tape recorder.

20/07/2013 at 13:39

Zoomer, there's me advising you to record the unwanted abuse but I hadn't thought of doing it myself with the dogs! Was too difficult to try to 'paper' record it. Good luck.

20/07/2013 at 15:33

Zoomer, are you on your own?  Some blokes get a kick out of doing this to women who live on their own, as they see them as an easy target (no partner to go around and 'sort them out').

Many years ago, when I lived as a student, myself and my then partner were renting a house in a lovely village, it wasn't a typical student rent (although my partner was working), we found out through the letting agent, that if the guy started bugging me, we HAD to report it to the police.  The reason?  The lass who owned the house had been insulted, propositioned, verbally abused and generally her life had been made unbearable by the boor next door.  When her partner went around to 'remonstrate' with him, a fight had ensued and the neighbour who started it all went to the police to prosecute her boyfriend for the compensation he'd get.  Unfortunately for him, they'd logged all of his provocative behaviour, and they were waiting for a court date, but had been advised to leave the house (hence renting it to ensure the mortgage was paid), until the issues had been setttled.

We got to know the outcome, the guy was a serial annoyer, he'd do it until a party snapped and beat him up, then he'd sue for compensation.  Of course, there was a record of this, so when my landlord took him to court, and had the evidence of the other guy being a prat, and doing this on several occaisons, he didn't get away with it.  He was given a restraining order (meaning HE had to move out when she moved back in), ordered to pay HER compensation, and given a suspended sentence, meaning if he did it to ANYONE in the next two years, it would be go straight to jail, do not pass go and do not collect £200.

So there is hope, just keep logging his behaviour, it might even be the same chap we're talking about, so be on your guard, and whatever you do, don't resort to violence, otherwise you might end up paying him for the pleasure of beating him up.

Apologies for the long post, but thought I'd let you know there are people who either make a living or can go on lovely long holidays by being a-holes and occaisionally being given a good hiding.

20/07/2013 at 15:42

Tape recorders seem to be being phased out these days so can be difficult to find, however if you have an iPod or similar you can buy a small microphone to fit it and the quality of sound reproduction is very good. iPads have a microphone built in and a camera so you can record in video. A lot of modern digitalm cameras have a 'movie' setting which will record sound and video. A lot of mobile and smart phones also have the ability to record in video - so there are a lot of devices around these days that can do that job: you may not need to buy anything: just use what you have. John H

20/07/2013 at 16:10

Thanks for that John. Did have a look but not techni minded.  Will ask son about this when he gets home. He will sort me out.

Thanks again.

23/07/2013 at 00:40

Hi, MMP, sorry for not replying sooner.

I thought he maybe a serial nusiance and was doing this because I live on my own. Hadn't realised how long it's been going on but after looking to see if I've saved stuff on the computer found letters and responses to the council going back to 2006, that was when he started banging on the walls and shouting during the night. 2007 was when my friends stayed, I wrote to the council with a list of incidents and the police log number.

He had made the first complaint saying I was making an unreasonable amount of DIY noise - NOT. I agreed to noise monitoring equipment on the basis this was also put in the other neighbours home. He withdrew his complaint saying he'd moved his furniture and couldn't hear any more noise!

I suggested to the council they checked for complaints from his previous address and remember getting a call from the council several weeks later saying it was unlikely there would be any further complaints about noise from him.

I haven't retailated directly with him but gone through either the police or council but after last weekend am thinking of paying a pro gardener to cut back my side of his hedge of climbers which over hang about 2ft. The divide is about 10ft high now, this is the hieght he's at when pruning so you can imagine how intimidating it is.

I suspect cutting them back on my side will probably bring the whole lot down in his garden, getting  a pro gardener to do it means I'll have a witness to say I was only doing what I'm legallly entitled to do and it's not a DIY job. 

Wish me luck

23/07/2013 at 09:03

I suspect that getting a pro gardener in will do the job, as most professionals will go around to the neighbours and clean up after themselves as well as clearing up any mess on your side of the fence.  It's just awful that you're having to resort to paying someone else for something you enjoy doing!

If it were me, I would be going to a rescue centre and looking for a rather large GSD to rehome (but I love dogs, especially GSD's, but agree that if you don't want a dog, just getting one for protection isn't the way to go).  A dog will give you love and companionship - curling up with one on the sofa on a cold night is great, and it will also protect you as the pack leader - the postie's just been, and Max has made his presence heard!  They instinctively know if someone is threatening, and will come to your side, and bark and growl at whoever you're rowing with.  It's in their interest, after all, you are their leader and provide them with food, shelter and love, so it's only logical they look after you.

But that's me and I wouldn't want to be without a dog, though if you're not at home during the day you'd need to pay someone to come round and walk the dog, so they don't suffer from boredom or loneliness, which often leads to behavioral problems.

23/07/2013 at 10:04

I hate to say it, but he sounds like the sort of sicko who would do something to a dog.

23/07/2013 at 11:38

Zoomer- a pro gardener to 'trim' the hedge sounds like an excellent  idea. Good luck.

Keep us informed

23/07/2013 at 18:16

Good idea about getting soemone in but it's a shame if you have to resort to it. Of course, you have to 'legally' hand back what you cut off on your side as it belongs to him! That'll larn 'im!

The only thing that would worry me is that it could create a further issue  because if any of 'his' side gets chopped he might retaliate. Not easy Zoomer. Do you think it would be wise to inform him that you're doing that - just in case?

Good luck though.

23/07/2013 at 18:19

zoomer.. as long as you dont cut back futher than the boundary.. maybe leave it just inside yours.. he can not say a thing to you at all... aslong as you give him back the trimmings.

23/07/2013 at 21:33

There look to be two garden companies nearby and I've found a site on line where, after describing the job to be done, I receive 3 quotes.

I just want the problem to go away and thought it had until last weekend. I'll take before and after pics just in case they're needed at a later date and will be mindful not to cut to close to the boundary.

I don't relish the thought of telling him the plan, but of course, the reason for it is due to the climbers becoming over grown on my side and begining to climb up the house and if he can think of a better solution I'd be happy to listen. I'll be able to ask where he would like me to put his trimmings .  

The jury's still out as to whether to tell him but I'd take a friends OH for moral support, if I do. One does spring to mind, who is as placid as a lamb but appearances can project a different picture.

A dog's out of the question, I have a cat and work full time although it's a nice thought. 

Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll get the quotes tomorrow.   

23/07/2013 at 22:37

"I'll be able to ask where he would like me to put his trimmings ."

I have a suggestion but it's not printable! 

23/07/2013 at 23:52

You don't have to tell him about your plan; just do it.  The trimmings can be put in rubbish bags or those large 'skip' bags, and put in his front garden.  It sounds like the less contact you have with him the better. 

23/07/2013 at 23:57

Re tape recording him - I just looked on 'a well known auction site' and there are proper dictaphones for about fourteen quid with tapes included.  Easy to turn on if he starts playing up and non new age technical!

24/07/2013 at 00:04

Nice to see this thread resurrected. Horrid situation to be in - we also have a neighbour we find it best to ignore, he has been rude so often. My only comment on all the good advice given is that dictaphones often need to be held next to the mouth because they aren't very powerful.

24/07/2013 at 00:17

That's probably true - I hadn't thought of that (horrible memories of a temp job as an audio typist about 100 years ago is my closest recent experience of them!)

24/07/2013 at 07:26

Can I add myown rant ( nothing as distressing as yours Zoomer ).

It's the seagulls- all they do day and night at the moment is squalk

24/07/2013 at 09:09
The potty gardener wrote (see)

Can I add myown rant ( nothing as distressing as yours Zoomer ).

It's the seagulls- all they do day and night at the moment is squalk

I have the same problem with sparrows, one sits on the roof and another in my shade tree and they screech at eachother for hours. I wouldn't mind if they would "sing", but the screeching really get on your nerves!

24/07/2013 at 09:20

I live fairly near the sea and seagulls are often inland, especially if the weather is bad. I don't mind the noise - its the target practice that really irritates me. How did they get so expert at hitting my washing???

1,661 to 1,680 of 1,728 messages