London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1,701 to 1,720 of 1,728 messages
04/09/2013 at 22:07

Freegle is a great way to get rid of things

04/09/2013 at 22:18

Zoomer, there are children's clothes up there starting from 3 months. Eldest granddaughter now 11, her brother 's 8. Toys galore from baby to early teens, a pram, (DIL can have that) dining chairs, computers, model aircraft, etc, etc.  The only thing not there is the kitchen sink. It was all supposed to be sold at car boot sale but I can't remember which year that was!  Granddaughter told me they had had a massive clear out at home this weekend and she discovered she had things she never knew she had.  How sad is that and how typical of the younger generation.  I get very angry with the amount of clothes and toys my grandchildren are bought.  Anyway have told daughter it's got to go and not when she feels like doing it, but now.  Eldest son will be told the same thing in a while.  Get daughter sorted first. 

It's actually stressing me as I can see it's going to be a major operation. I just want to find my box of keepsakes.  One box, that's all.

Last time I used that Waterbuts I was not happy with the callers.  Seemed to have changed from when I first started using it some years back.  Very pushy and one caller wanted to come round there and then.  It was about 10 at night! 

04/10/2013 at 11:03

Have been catching up on several threads about compost, and the message coming through is that politicians, and the Suits running the big companies, are still conning the general public with smooth words about recycling your rubbish, and how great it is that most councils are now producing green compost ( takes them about 5 minutes to turn all domestic food and garden waste into great compost!  )

Why,oh why, do we let these idiots, who know nothing of what goes on in the real gardening world, tell us what we must, and must not use!

Most commercially produced compost now seems to be rubbish, and despite having a big garden, and an allotment, I still cannot make enough of my own compost to satisfy my needs - I still have to buy in various types of commercial stuff, and over the last 3 or 4 years have found it to be very poor.

So - politicians and Suits - stop treating us all as complete idiots. You have been rumbled,and hopefully your cardboard walls will crumble around around you......soon!

Ps - can I have the cardboard remnants for my compost heap?

04/10/2013 at 11:09

When we moved here OH refused to put anything in the loft - if we don't need to use it we don't need it, is his maxim.  I'm not going up there - so we have an empty loft   (and an over-stuffed garage, but that's another story .... )

04/10/2013 at 11:25

We have an over stuffed garage too and its double length!  The loft is pretty full too with books toy cars, lego, boxed games etc, but my boys don't want me to get rid of it. But don't seem to want it in their lofts! !

04/10/2013 at 13:26

Mine have been warned lily! I'm an avid 'thrower outer' and I'm doing them a favour though they don't realise it!  Keep telling them they'll thank me for it one day when they have to clear out my house ... 

04/10/2013 at 14:31

Latest on my loft clearance!!  2 large boxes and 2 large plastic bags of clothes, nick-nacks to Charity and 2 almost new duvets and 3 sets of curtains to recycling. Numerous large empty cardboard boxes flattened and taken by Council. Can now walk about a bit up there!  Found some of my treasures, shawl given to me 42 years ago, christening robe and cape, some happy cards, some sad ones so a few tears shed. Also a teething ring with a silver pendant on it.  On Dickinson's Real Deal the other day, one was purchased for £100.  Expect mine's worthless. Still have a long way to go!

Did find somewhere to send old VHS tapes, but you have to pay the carriage yourself. Am going to see how much it would cost.

04/10/2013 at 14:44

I have some vhs tapes, but I would still like to watch them, only thing is my recorder doesn't work! Can you still get combi vhs and dvd players? Where do you send them anyway and what do they do with them? Suppose I should get rid really, must be tougher and not hoard! 

04/10/2013 at 14:54

Try ebay or something lily. Someone may have one. Not sure they still make them though.

I expect my sister still has some- probably underneath the rest of the stuff filling her entire house...

I'll ask her!

04/10/2013 at 15:55

Yes thats a thought, my oh would prob rather I got rid of stuff tho instead of buying more

04/10/2013 at 15:57

We had a loft conversion quite a few years ago now, that forced a clear out!  Had to find new home for Christmas decs but most stuff got given away or chucked....

04/10/2013 at 17:05

Just been catching up on a MOB Rants thread.  Very interesting reading.  I haven't anything to rant about at the mo, but if I do I'll know where to go!!

On second thoughts, I do have a slight rant.  I had to go to the job centre yesterday to sign on (I gave up my job due to stress recently).  I can't believe how belittling it was.  They lady was fairly pleasant, but I felt horrible.  I have worked hard since I left school, I have three kids and after much thought handed my notice in, as I was making myself ill.  I decided my health was more important.  I am looking for another job and using my extra free time to spruce up my allotment, but anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

04/10/2013 at 17:35

Max ((hug)) sorry you had such a horrid experience - it is humiliating isn't it - I had a similar experience and they made me cry - I was a 45 year old woman with good qualifications and experience who was suddenly single and had to earn my own living after a gap - I said I was looking for jobs in Arts Administration - the person at the desk asked me why I thought I was qualified to do that.  I said that I had an MA in Fine Art and secretarial and business administration qualifications and had worked in arts organisations in the past.  

She replied with a sneer, "Only an MA?  My boyfriend's got a BA!"    It was then I realised the calibre of the person who was supposed to be trying to help me, and put in a formal complaint.  

I didn't get an apology, but I didn't have to see her again, and anyway, I got myself a job with no help from them 

That's my rant!!!  

Max, I ended up getting a job by temping, and when I found something I reallly liked doing with nice people I made myself indespensible - maybe you could do something similar?

Good luck!

04/10/2013 at 17:39

Well done, Max. Your health is more important than any job. Hope everything works out well for you and has been said before on these forums, gardening is the best therapy.

11/10/2013 at 14:12

here you are fidget- get your ranty pants on!

11/10/2013 at 14:34

I've just seen an advert.   Knit a hat for a smoothie bottle.  Smoothie people will donate 10p per hat up to  20,000 hats. Thats £2,000 for age  UK, at least £10,000 for Royal mail for 2nd class postage, and  how much (loads of  dosh) for TV advertising.

Cut out the middle man. Donate direct.

saves time and effort knitting hats for egg cups.

11/10/2013 at 14:39

What annoys me is when a poster doesn't stick to the thread topic.

(That was especially for FB).

11/10/2013 at 14:41

fidget - at the prices they charge for their smoothies they could  just send all pensioners in Britain a nice sum of money so that they don't have to choose between eating and heating this winter. 

11/10/2013 at 14:44

If they knitted squares instead they could send them blankets.!

11/10/2013 at 14:47

I've sent you a pm fidget 

1,701 to 1,720 of 1,728 messages