London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
161 to 180 of 1,728 messages
01/03/2013 at 10:50

That made me smile Frank and I have to agree.  I only kiss family and very close friends and never the double whammy.  When did it start I wonder?

01/03/2013 at 11:12

G/G, I will be down in Bridgend for my St Davids Day Welsh cakes, fresh and warm with lovely freshly churned butter a real Welsh treat.
I come to the rant "is your brain in gear" this is was Frank posting.

Tina I would assume it is some London thing to do with artistry of some description, they do seem to have their own way of doing things, they who call the druids odd.
We Northerner's in our woad and goatskins must be just as big a mystery to them though, mind I do object to them calling us dirty, I change my goat skin every ten years whether it needs it or not.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 11:23

Ah, Frank.  I think we can blame this on the EU dont you?  Now there's a can of worms ...................

01/03/2013 at 13:42

I think we can blame it on naive idealism on the part of some MPs who thought cheap housing would result and on the desire for profit on the part of others who hve investments in house building. Naivete and greed working together - a dangerous mixture. 

If I haven't said it already, happy St David's Day! Northerners and Celts have something in common, obviously - we both use woad to make ourselves beautiful. Must put my photo on sometime!

01/03/2013 at 15:00

Frank, when I moved to the Fens from London, a local said to me, 'You can always tell a Londoner... but they never listen.' Yes, a lot of us Londoners do the 'air kiss', but only with some people; there are folks who have an invisible barrier around them with a notice saying,'Look but don't touch!'

01/03/2013 at 15:26
Gardening Grandma wrote (see

If I haven't said it already, happy St David's Day! Northerners and Celts have something in common, obviously - we both use woad to make ourselves beautiful. Must put my photo on sometime!

G/G wrong end of the stick girl, we use woad to hide the beauty that would blind the normal mortals, we Vikings tall blonde and lovely and you Celts shorter dark and lovely have to keep it under wraps only exposing such loveliness to each other or so Nesta told me, is she to be believed I ask???
Probably to do with us being mining communities, you had to have a sense of fun and a joy for living or go under. My mining relatives told me straight, "if you try to go into mining we will tie you from the bottom of the cage by the testimonials (I think that is the word) and drop you to the bottom". Joining ICI I often had to go down the anhydrite mine, luckily in the cage and not hanging from it.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 15:35

Artjak I did spend a lot of time with my London relatives who came from up here originally and also much of my leave time with Londoners who were wonderful people never seeing any of that false bonhomie that one sees these days. It all seems facile to me, it certainly irritates me so I may be one with the iron curtain around me, it brings to mind the song, "kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again" why? one good smacker from me would be all they need on the lips of course and not some air gap around the lug holes all hairy and stuffed with wax.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 17:10

Frank, I can;t wait to see the photo of you in woad

And I do so agree with the moue moue thing!

01/03/2013 at 18:03
Woad was used to make the first scottish tattoo. It was tradition to rub it into wounds so the dye would be in the scars. Scars were seen as a symbol of strength and a brave warrior.
01/03/2013 at 18:10
Druids are loverly people. This kissin the air milarky? No time for that. I like a good strong handshake. None of this mwah...mwah....mwah.
01/03/2013 at 19:40

I wonder if it is a class thing. I really agree that people in mining and other communities that had hard lives learnt to laugh and love because they needed courage and cheerfulness to face the difficulties of daily life and still get some satisfaction out of life. People who are more privileged can afford a few airs and graces and snobberies. The air kissing is pretty meaningless and pretentious. My father's greatest achievement was to get out of the mines and become a commercial traveller, staying in work throughout the depression. By contrast, my son went to Oxford, married a 'posh' girl and learnt to survive in a more privileged world - an art in itself for a working class boy.

01/03/2013 at 19:51

Snap GG 

but not a commecial traveller and maybe a bit younger

01/03/2013 at 20:16

Much younger I should think, Rosa. My father would be 104 now!

Enjoyed the story, Frank, and certainly agree with you about the dazzling good looks. Mind you, someone on another thread admired my 'gorgeous' dogs today but did not apply the same term to their owner!!! Please do not comment on this - you'd have to lie!

01/03/2013 at 20:36

Now there is a word Class, working , upper, lower, sink estate what, and what does it mean.
People who have parents who can afford the uniforms books and kit after passing the 11+ or kids who had to leave school at 12-13 and pull themselves up by the boot straps, someone born with a silver spoon in the mouth or the idiot Son of Lord and lady so and so.
As Northener's we tend to ignore the word though there were those who would lower themselves when a Sir or Lady appeared and that was often in our village. Having parents who could afford to keep me in school and a very good idea where I was heading was my way ahead but did that mean we were above others to my mind not, you take your chances and risks with some luck some management it gets you a comfortable retirement end of rant.

Frank.

01/03/2013 at 20:39

My dad would be 101 

01/03/2013 at 22:15

And me only 29. Amazing!

Frank, if I were to rant about class, which is no longer supposed to matter, I'd talk about how unfairly it affects one's progress in life. Americans have a meritocracy, where you are judged on your achievements, especially money, but since there is no equal playing field and underprivileged kids have little chance of making it, they have not really eradicated class distinction. They have just created a new kind of class distinction. We are still hidebound by old distinctions. I taught kids who had no chance at all - bound in ignorance and poverty and abandoned by the educational system. Nothing serious was done to help them. They were in classrooms but did not know even basic things that parents teach their children. I taught one girl, perhaps the most deprived individual I have ever met, who was so physically and emotionally neglected that she only knew how to say 'Uh!' She was about 12 or 13. At the other end of the spectrum are the gently and beautifully brought up children of the upper middle classes who have all the social graces and the best education. There are other kinds of deprivation, of course, which apply to all classes, like emotional and sexual abuse. There! Rant over!

01/03/2013 at 22:16
Definately working class here , dad left school at 15 to go down the pits in salford to help provide for the home .... He upped himself later but we are working class and proud .
01/03/2013 at 22:30

Me too.

01/03/2013 at 22:53

I don't believe in 'class' as its put. I think its your choice as to what you can achieve in life. I find it a little insulting that the 'Upper middle class' are said to have the social grace and the best education. My father worked on a farm from the age of 13 as a herd, full time. My mother stayed with her adopted mother in a house of an elderly gentleman who they both cared for. 4 generations ago all our fortunes, land, property and businesses were left to the church of Scotland because my distant relation did not agree with 'class' back then. I am from working stock, I myself have worked since I was 14. Under my choice. My siblings and myself have social graces and we had a good education. My sister is a wedding gown designer, my brother a chief mechanic and myself a silversmith and run my own business in the motorcycle industry. I was the first person in our family to fly on a plane, go abroad and go to university. I have an hons degree and a standard degree as well as an HNC and 3 HND's. I am a strong believer that its not all down to money and certainly not class. You have a goal in life. You follow a path which has detours which are set there for you to learn the skills and gain the knowledge and wisdom that you will need for the future. A basic understanding and manners lie with the parents before anything. My parts were of lower working class if I am to label them, which hurts me to do so as I feel its segregating them from everyone else. I'm proud of where I come from and look at my parents everyday and think how proud I am of them both. My father has now retired from his 28 years successful business due to ill health and my mother is a self taught head chef for a restaurant/bistro in Edinburgh. Some of the rudest, most arrogant people I have ever met have come from 'middle' and 'upper' class. Now if it were all to do with class...they wouldn't be where they are today!

Sorry...but it really gets my blood boiling

01/03/2013 at 23:08
You need to have the full facts on someone's else's history and feelings ..... You are from working stock ...stock/class/status /upbringingwhatever its roots . Doesn't mean we stay there ...someone's belief of working class will be different to mine . I know what mine is and my beliefs and my belief of others .
161 to 180 of 1,728 messages