Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Monkshood

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I love monkshood and I have a few of them because we have no children at home now and they are tucked away where we are not going to brush up against them all the time, they being deadly poisonous.

So you can imagine I was quite horrified to go and visit Alfriston clergy house which is about a mile from home (National Trust property) to find copious monkshood lining paths near the entrance at the front of the border within easy reach of childish fingers. I think plants like this which cause death should be at the back of the border out of harms way.

I did mention it but got the impression they thought I was being a bit over the top with my concerns.

Then I read in the paper recently a story about a professional gardner at one of the big houses dying after walking down a path of monkshood and brushing against the plants on both sides.

Do you think I am being a bit too elf and safety or are there real concerns with monkshood? I do think whilst we all must use some common sense with regards to potential dangers places like this should take some responsibility for the safety of visitors.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

my daughter would die if she ate a cashew , or peanut,and the son of a friend almost died after eating baked beans.

Mercifully such reactions are incredibly rare, and I don't lose sleep about any of them.

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I tried to grow the seeds from my white Aconitum but none germinated, anyone else have any luck with them?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Some to sow fresh and leave outside over winter in the cold Lyn.image

In the sticks near Peterborough

I did that Nut, they are still there, I won't be beaten, I will try again this year.

The reason I asked was because I sent them to several people on the seed swap thread and wondered if anyone else had any luck.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

As far as I'm aware nobody has died at the clergy house, and in 30 years of nursing I've seen anyone who has died of it so I am probably being a bit of a paranoid mum image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I do think you need to eat them to have problems and that journalists aren't the best people for advice on the subject.image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I wish I'd grown some monkshood now...but Mrs F would go ape if she spotted them in the garden image

You wouldnt have grown them from my seeds Fishy imageimage