London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
26/02/2014 at 14:44

It would be good if they repeated some of the GH programmes, I was too stupid to watch them before I was 27. I listen to loads of old Gardeners Question Times on the radio iplayer, I've learned a lot but usually too late! I remember in early October I'd been out planting tulip bulbs for the first time and feeling really pleased with myself then heard don't plant them before November at the earliest! Love Beechgrove it seems more real than GW but I like that too.

26/02/2014 at 17:02

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers Geoff Hamilton

He truly was a class act.............plenty of really practical advice and never patronising.  He had proper gardener's hands (nice and grubby when he was actually doing something that called for poking about in the soil) and always mud on his boots.  I remember thinking how appropriate it was that he was buried wearing his garden boots.

My OH always teased me whenever I was doing something in the garden......"Have you checked that out with Geoff ?".

26/02/2014 at 17:02

Obelixx, I too feel that the Geoff Hamilton years were the high point, but I didn't really care for Alan if I'm honest.  The programme seemed to go from 'here's a great little tool you can make for yourself by recycling an old.....' to 'you can get one of these from your local garden centre'.  But then that era - the late 90s and early naughties seemed to be about quick fixes - garden makeovers, unlikely paint colours, an army of bought in plants and ornaments and decking and ponds that must have cost a bomb - lots of weird impractical designs.  I like Monty though - I'm not sure the common touch means much to me, but I prefer my gardening shows without too much ego, and I feel that what Monty has in common with Geoff is the fact that both are there for the plants, not the chat shows or book deals.  My fondest memory of Geoff was him telling us how to make stones for a rockery by burying concrete in plastic sheeting.  I liked the experimentation.  What I like about Monty is his use of language - his narration on the French garden series painted pictures with words, and both he and Carol Klein have an infectious enthusiasm.  I do still enjoy GW a lot.  Oh and Nigel the dog is a star.

My memories of GQT are of Fred Loaves, Bill Sowerbutts and Professor Alan Gemmel of Keele University!  Which is probably enough to date anyone.  I was just reading that Beechgrove is going to come to England in the next series - I hope that will not be disappointing to those north of the border, but it is an indication of its charm and unique place in the hearts of gardeners that it is spreading its wings a bit.  I expect that they have taken on board the point that by staying in Scotland they are a bit behind the rest of the country. 

26/02/2014 at 17:07

Busy Bee - I agree with everything you've just said 

26/02/2014 at 17:12

The last series of Beechgrove was shown in England BB  

Even though I'm in Scotland, the north east has a very different climate to the west side of the central belt where I am.  Height above sea level is another issue that people forget about, and it makes a huge difference to what we grow.

We all just have to adapt to our own climate wherever we are in the country!  ,

26/02/2014 at 17:47

You can get a dvd of Geoff Hamilton's programmes (I was told about it on THIS Forum, as I remarked that I do not like T.V. Gardeners who have to be 'personalities'). I like his very straightforward approach, without any hideous attempt to be 'winsome'. (that is me being winsome)

26/02/2014 at 18:05

Dear Frozengardens, I'm sorry and saddened by the response you have received from some of the post on here. A great shame!

I like Monty Don, Alan Titchmarsh and Geoff Hamilton. They are/were each skilled gardeners with their own strengths and personalities and there's no need to say one is better than another. Alan comes across as being down to earth. Monty has a gift with words.

I do however believe that Gardeners World could do more to recognise that most people have smaller gardens than either Alan or Monty. There was a garden series a few years ago with Christine Walklden where her garden was of a size that I think more people could relate to.

26/02/2014 at 18:07

I think I should point out that the 4th post was not calling the original poster a 'nut' - it was a response to the poster called Nutcutlet, aka Nut. 

26/02/2014 at 19:00

Fairygirl, what I meant was I think I read somewhere they are doing some filming in English locations this year, with the regular presenters.  Scott I don't think we were saying one presenter was better than another, only that as in all human interaction, some of us will warm to some people (ie. presenters) more than others, so enjoyed some incarnations of the show more.  And the show has to evolve every time the main presenter changes - more so than a lot of other t.v. staples, because with the presenter comes the presenter's garden, which will be what the presenter made it years before they became the presenter.  So the watchers get what's there.  Both Monty's garden and Barnsdale are divided up into 'rooms' and probably any one of those rooms could stand for the average garden, and the viewers can take inspiration from the different moods evoked in each (or not).  There has to be a fair amount of stuff going on and views to see or it would become very repetitive.  (You would probably struggle to get about 20 minutes out of my garden all year - not enough for a couple of five minute slots on 30 episodes).  I think the joy of Barnsdale and the Beechgrove is often that they take a new plot of earth and start from scratch, rather than tending to an established garden.  I think blank canvases are exciting, but then again, unless you buy a brand new home, or a grass garden, very few of us start with a blank.  I don't think we see enough of Christine Walkden though - love her, as did my parents, who sat me down and made me watch her one Friday night!  I can't wait for the shows to come back for the spring season - same excitement as when I find the magazine has arrived!

27/02/2014 at 14:12

Monty is indeed a good communicator and uses language well.  I'm just not convinced he has anything of much relevance to communicate to the average suburban garden plot and new builds in particular.  There is nothing for people creating a garden from a patch of mud and builder's rubble.   None of his garden rooms would answer for a family garden, bringing up kids from toddler to teens and beyond with room for games as well as plants and maybe some veggies.

I just don't find GW instructive any more tho it is a pleasant half hour to while away with a  glass of wine.   Same with the French series - too much faffing in the 3CV and not enough on the actual gardens and plants.  Lyrical but not informative.

Beechgrove packs in loads of info without seeming rushed and covers all sorts of gardening styles and sizes.

15/03/2014 at 07:35

I too miss Monty's tweets. Not worried about lack of gardening info, no way could he answer all queries. just enjoyed his comments and he has irked people with some of his opinions. we are all entitled to an opinion. I think he is a sensitive soul. he was also supporting his wife through the death of her father, so didn't need the pounding at that time. he came back in Feb and immediately to bashing started up. I reckon he's 'gone for good'. so sad for his followers.

15/03/2014 at 18:46

I really like Monty and I would love a garden like his.  I know not many people have a garden as big as that, and some of the projects he has done I would just scale down suit my own garden. Gardeners World is, as always very informative and enjoyable. Keep up the good work Monty.

15/03/2014 at 20:08

I heard somewhere that Monty has around 3 - 4 acres. I have 7.6 acres and I still don't need 5 wheelbarrows propped up in the garden and 10 pairs of Felco secateurs in the potting shed. How many staff does he have?

15/03/2014 at 20:09

As is so often the case: I agree wholeheartedly with everything obelixx says. Wise words as ever.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages