1 to 20 of 34 messages
24/02/2014 at 14:25

No @TheMontyDon this morning.  Has Monty gone from Twitter for good?  I wonder who spoiled it for us.  And just when the new gardening season is about to begin... Seems to me a good idea to have touch with followers when you have an international audience.  Just sign me...Sad in Canada.

24/02/2014 at 16:05

I was following him on twitter, but I didn't see much point as he says he won't answer horticulture questions anyway. Christine Walkden is much better to follow.

24/02/2014 at 17:26

I'm always suspicious of first posters that come on with a whine. I fear they may be trying for a stir up. I apologise if this is not the case but am pressing the ignore button. Goodbye

24/02/2014 at 17:33

Nut, I agree 

24/02/2014 at 17:36

I don't think Twitter is exactly Monty's cup of tea and he has had some fierce criticism for things he's posted.   As spring is very much on its way and his garden has been flooded again this winter I rather suspect he has better things to do with his time.  I know I do and I don't have deadlines to meet to prepare for broadcasts or write revenue earning articles and books for a living.

KEF
24/02/2014 at 17:36

Reported.

24/02/2014 at 17:39

Not a "nut", just one of Monty's 31,000-or-so followers who had built up a friendly community.  Not necessary to be insulting about a first poster.  Have followed forums and subscribed to GW for many years.  I don't understand the need to insult someone who was making a genuine enquiry even if you feel my comment above was spurious.  Others in the Monty Twittersphere have been raising the same question as well. 

24/02/2014 at 17:40

From the comments above, no wonder Monty no longer wishes to visit the social scene.  Glad I don't actually know any of you folks personally.

24/02/2014 at 18:39

ooooOOOOooooo

24/02/2014 at 19:29
24/02/2014 at 19:34

If he stopped in November fidget ...and this is late February....hmmm 

25/02/2014 at 08:29

Yes he stopped tweeting last year, but he reactivated his account just a few weeks ago.

25/02/2014 at 08:38

The original poster wondered 'who spoiled it for us' .................... we too have had things spoiled for us on several occasions ................... we too are suspicious.   Understandable really. 

25/02/2014 at 12:10

I find it really annoying when people have to drag other people down to there level,i see jealousy where understanding should be, a chap spends his time learning about gardening, how, where, doesn't matter to me he just did it, he then puts his ideas into a tv prog which becomes  popular, he travells to interesting places to make more nice easy watch-able entertaining progs, he has his very own appearance and ways weather its his or the prog arrangers i dont care as its all a part of the fun side of the prog and gardening in general, sometimes i must look like a scruff when im enjoying the allotment or garden, dont we all, so why cant he just carry doing what works for him and his viewers, and who gives a Monkeys what  the Telegraph thinks,perhaps They should try growing something perhaps growing up      

25/02/2014 at 13:33

well said Alan i totally agree

26/02/2014 at 11:28

In actual fact, GW is a lot less popular now than it was with Geoff Hamilton at the helm or Alan Titchmarsh.    Monty may well be a very nice chap and have a lovely garden but GW has become just a quiet half hour of TV to relax with a glass of wine.   Audiences have more than halved in recent years and are now down to just over 2 million.

Monty's garden is too idiosyncratic to serve as an essential guide to what to do in your garden that weekend or to show what most people in smaller gardens and with restricted time and budgets can achieve, copy, or interpret for their own garden and planting in the future.   I still enjoy it but very little that he does is relevant to my garden which is large and very fertile but also very alkaline and exposed.

We definitely need a new programme aimed at beginners, smaller plots, time constraints and budgets for modern living.

As for people being unkind to new posters I think that's a pity.  If a post seems suspicious, best to wait and see or ignore rather than go into public attack mode - unless it's the usual Grid troll who is easily recognisable or yet another weekend kitchen ad.   

26/02/2014 at 11:50

id like to see a garden program split with allotment advise as well,some allotments iv seen are well worth looking at and the people seem to have many tried and tested ways not always costing much, some are really funny and full of caricature. inside some of the sheds you just wouldn't believe how good they are.a trip through a year would be good.

26/02/2014 at 12:16

Interesting post Obelixx.  I wonder why the audiences have dropped, but it may be for reasons of demographics, or abundant televisual choice rather than a reflection of the show.  My parents who enjoyed GW have passed away, and I don't know that many people of my generation who have much of a passion for gardening - they just keep their outside space tidy and pop a few low maintenance plants in, because both partners have busy work lives.  I watch GW on a Sunday morning (Friday evenings are too frenetic - 8.30 is junior bedtime!) and invariably end up watching the Beechgrove Garden, which has more 'hands on' advice and people doing things that we at home would be doing too.  The only 'problem' with it, is that coming from Scotland, a lot of the things they are doing are things I was doing a couple of weeks earlier because of the climate difference, but I'm sure Scottish audiences appreciate it, because I imagine Anglo-centric gardening shows must be of limited interest when they go on about plants which wouldn't cope with northern climes.  I like the shows where they visit famous gardens, and enjoyed Monty and the French gardens, so those occasional series are good. 

26/02/2014 at 12:18

Just seen this. Oh dear, we weren't very welcoming to a new poster who only said he/she was sad that Monty wasn't twittering. Sounds as though they miss Monty.

26/02/2014 at 12:40

The drop in viewing figures is easy enough to understand.  GW now is often boring and irrelevant.    For those of us who remember GW with Geoff H at the helm the programme has changed beyond all recognition and no longer delivers useful, practical garden advice for the majority.  GH had divided his property into different plots especially in order to do GW his way so there were small gardens and grander ones, cheap and cheerful ones with lots of DIY and more expensive ones for those who could afford to buy rather than make obelisks and arches and pergolas and coldframes and ponds.   

Planting plans and démos were also varied and suited to many kinds of garden and he used them in different situtations.  He had regular guest slots with experts on house plants, pests and diseases and design and he turned to promoting organic gardening without chemicals and without stripping nature of its resources such as limestone pavements but all in a down to earth, non preaching style.

Like AT, he had the common touch and could talk to anyone at any level and make them think gardening was the best thing ever for people and wildlife.

Monty has some interesting plants but with all his hedges and paths and huge pots and greenhouses his garden does not reflect average UK gardens and gardeners and is all too personal.  He has yet to acknowledge the help he receives to maintain and develop his garden and I always feel he is out of touch with ordinary folk who have to fit in gardening bewteen work and family commitments.

The best bits of GW for me now are the visits to see how other people garden and what plants are good in a particular season and situation.    Even current filming of basic stuff like sowing seeds or taking cuttings is often badly focussed or from the wrong angle to see what's happening.

I love the Beechgrove garden.  It's practical and the presenters each have their own specialities and preferences so there is variety and something for all.    Bringing in Chris Beardshaw was an inspired move.    It can be a bit old fashioned with its bedding plants but does good tests and comparisons and lots for the fruit and veg grower too as well as a wide variety of ornamentals.   Being as cold and wet as it is, Monty's garden is also behind most of the UK.

GH's garden has been taken over by his son and family and is open to visitors and has a nursery - http://www.barnsdalegardens.co.uk/   It's on my list of places to visit.   They also have a stand at shows such as Chelsea with some luscious plants.

1 to 20 of 34 messages