London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
15/03/2014 at 18:11

Now is it me or did anybody else feel sorry for Monty last night on gardeners' world when he had to burn his box hedging ? Also what exactly is Joe swift doing on there get alys fowler back ! 

15/03/2014 at 18:27

Cant help but feel sorry for him, he has put a lot into his garden and its got to hurt when a major part of it is devastated.

15/03/2014 at 18:54

and the years and years of pruning and watching it grow. think he said its 14(??) years old, such a shame

15/03/2014 at 19:14

It's part of gardening though isn't it? We all get it. We have a 20 foot paved area designed around an old willow. When we built it I remember saying that I hoped we weren't creating something around a tree that was near its end. We were. 

But now I have a whole different planting opportunity. (Leaving out honey fungus susceptible species) 14 years is the blink of an eye in gardening.

15/03/2014 at 19:21
Oh no! Poor Monty! I haven't watched it yet: I hope he's something else planned - the box hedging really made a statement to his garden.
15/03/2014 at 19:36

Yes, I felt sorry for him, it must feel like the end of an era - but as he said a garden's a living growing thing and every time something comes to an end there's an opportunity for something new - gardeners are philosophers and opportunists and I get the feeling that while Monty felt sad about losing his box, he is looking forward to the challenge of creating a new vision for his garden.

15/03/2014 at 19:39

I'm with you on Joe Swift...

15/03/2014 at 19:58

Nothing lasts forever. Nothing.

A loss is an opportunity

15/03/2014 at 20:48

This s what I posted on another thread and I believe it to be true.

"Tonight, Monty gives every reason under the sun to explain the demise of his beloved box hedging. The fact remains that it has been a disaster area ever since the program was first broadcast from Longmeadow two years ago.......The reason - he confessed to stupidly cutting it back hard in October.

That's when you invited in box blight, Mr Don!"

We all make mistakes, but we have get on with it.

15/03/2014 at 20:51

Yes, I remember him acknowledging his mistake .......... and he is 'getting on with it'. 

15/03/2014 at 23:30

I felt really sorry for Monty, but I can't help thinking his garden will be better without it. A bit of box, making a statement as a ball or in a pot or around some herb beds is OK but Monty had masses of it making everything look enclosed and hard to get at.

16/03/2014 at 00:11

Me too.  So pleased to see the back of the endless box hedging.   It was boring and monotone and monoform and it will all look so much better opened up and with less of the control freakery that the hedges implied.   I didn't see the point of all those box balls in that courtyard either.  More monotony.

Have to agree about Joe Swift but for a slot on design I'd rather have JAS than Alys.

16/03/2014 at 00:24

Hey guys!  It is a tv program.  Please step out of cloud cuckoo land.  Let's be realistic.  Our dear friend Monty, is just a plant.  He is on scene for a short while.  He's working for a living and following the script.  Had that been my box hedge.  I wouldn't have gone throough the motions of cutting it down, burning in in small portions and then being faced with the task of grubbing out the roots.  TV companies.  Where do you get your directors from?????

16/03/2014 at 00:49

It's a TV programme set in someone's garden and he isn't following a script.  Presumably each week there is a discussion between hima nd the prodcution team as to which topics will be covered from his garden and then they slot in the visits such as sweet pea man, cyclamen men and the Cornish garden but those visits will be planned and often filmed months in advance to have as stock.   

Monty is paid to present it all in his own eloquent words.   Whether or not we agree with those words is another matter entirely.

16/03/2014 at 06:29

Mike, I thought exactly the same, cutting every plant with a saw, then having to go back and dig up the roots???? Why not just dig the whole thing up in one go??

16/03/2014 at 07:06

Maybe he did it that way because he wanted to burn the top growth - presumably the roots, having been in very soggy soil all winter wouldn't burn readily?  

16/03/2014 at 09:36

That's true.  This way he can burn the blight and dig up the roots and leave them somewhere to dry enough to burn.  

16/03/2014 at 10:21
I enjoy GW. But joe swift annoys the hell out of me. All the gardens they visit always are in England'. How about visit some of Scotland's amazing gardens !
16/03/2014 at 10:39

I doubt if he chooses which gardens he goes to John!

I'm not commenting on the box blight issue other than to say - any gardener who can honestly say they've never made mistakes, no matter how much experience they have, is probably telling porkies. I think it's refreshing when people hold their hand up and say - well I tried this and look what happened. As gardeners we often wing it - sow things a bit late, prune things too early, plant things in the wrong soil and the wrong location,  don't get our bulbs in at the right time - the list goes on and on. It's how we learn.

No one gets it right day in day out, year after year. 

And I think we expect a bit too much from a half hour of telly once a week. You can please some of the people, some of the time.....

16/03/2014 at 10:50

All true Fairy.

I just dropped by for my tea break. I usually avoid the recurrent I love/I hate MD, JS, etc, etc threads. He/she can  nothing wrong, He/she can do nothing right. The put down or praise at every possible (barely possible) opportunity.............etc

It all gets a bit tedious after a couple of years. As we're all different and presenters are all different it's not surprising we see it differently

1 to 20 of 27 messages