London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 40 of 112 messages
26/05/2014 at 11:11
SweetPea93 wrote (see)

I'll never understand why people are so mean about Monty... his advice hasn't let me down thus far, and he's an inoffensive, gentle sort of chap. Makes a pleasant change to the noisy hedonism of other beeb presenters such as Clarkson and Paxman et all.

I agree, he is a very laid back and calm presenter and, as you say, inoffensive.  I was a great fan of Alan when he was just a gardener but I won't watch his chat show - ugh!

As for Carol, I love it when she tours the pavilion because she seems to know just about everyone there and it's quite nice to have some natural banter going on.

26/05/2014 at 16:25

Seems only 5 minutes ago that people on here were complaining about Carol's 'over enthusiasm' and 'artificial brightness' or some such terms.  

To misquote Abraham Lincoln, it seems that "....you can please some of the people some of the time, but you'll never please all of the people all of the time" 

26/05/2014 at 17:31

Ah....not from me, Dove and it would be a brave person who would challenge her knowledge of her subject.

KEF
26/05/2014 at 17:38

Has anyone noticed that the person who started the thread hasn't responded at all ? When you first post on the forum you look for replies and are keen to join in.

Me thinks someone is sitting laughing at us whilst we go around in circles.  

26/05/2014 at 17:44

We certainly know how to go round and round and round on this one.

26/05/2014 at 17:53

We've had a lot of practice!

26/05/2014 at 17:56

26/05/2014 at 19:01

I like monty. but I think hes better off on his own presenting i.e. gardeners world, the French and Italian garden series he did.

but on Chelsea it didn't seem quite him. and I thought he looked a bit scruffy!

but I will watch anything to do with gardening as we are usually starved of programmes throughout the year!

26/05/2014 at 19:16

I love monty, I like scruffy too! Don,t trust anyone too slick and smart!

26/05/2014 at 19:28

Hands up.  I'll be Dougal (please).  

I'm just happy that gardening programmes are broadcast at all.  There are presenters that I can take or leave but on the whole they do a good job.  Always picking up tips from everywhere.  Remembering them is the hard bit

26/05/2014 at 19:29

Scruffy is fine for presenting GW cos there are mucky jobs and plants that can tear clothes.   Scruffy is not suitable for presenting Chelsea.   It's not as though he can't afford a decent suit so it must be a lack of judgement.  Not enough to be a nice chap.  Have to look the part and know what you're talking about to present the biggest such show in the world.

And I still think the original post was a plant.   We've had them before when he's been slammed for the content or style of the round the world series and the ones on Italian and French gardens.

26/05/2014 at 19:56

This is an observation rather than a criticism,,, I do feel that to present a prestige show like Chelsea dressed like someone who had just crawled out of a compost heap, was unacceptable. However, it was probably borne out his eccentricity rather than any intent to offend.  

KEF
26/05/2014 at 20:13

If I didn't think a WUM had started this thread I'd repeat what my OH said first night Charlie Chaplin or what ?  

KEF
26/05/2014 at 20:15

Anymore input from you Lizbell ? As it was your thread

26/05/2014 at 20:17

I thought he'd made a bit of an effort! He had a tie on - did he not! LOL.

26/05/2014 at 21:04

This is an old girls' view, life is short and there is so much to do and enjoy. Why waste precious time and energy watching someone you don't like or bad mouth them.

I know this is a forum,but if we haven't anything nice to say, it's nicer not to say anything at all

26/05/2014 at 21:28

There are so few gardening programs on TV that it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable to want them to be worth watching. Whilst I believe we should avoid personal attacks against individual presenters (I might prefer one presenters character and style whereas you might prefer another person) we should be able to offer opinions on how a program can be improved. Whilst I enjoy watching both GW and Beechgrove I find Beechgrove to be the more helpful in giving down to earth practical gardening advice. I do learn things from GW but simply not as often as from Beechgrove. Monty is clearly a skilled gardener but doesn't always get it right. He's not perfect as none of us are- though he know far more than me. Surely, the GW production team should want to know what it's viewers think so that it can judge where it got things right and where it can improve. Just needs to be constructive feedback rather than a personal attack on individuals. 

26/05/2014 at 22:15

Lizanne's one and only post ever by the look of things...is she a relative I wonder or just a 'plant'!!  

26/05/2014 at 23:24

Let's face it.  It really isn't a matter of likes and dislikes.  Just as with all these mobile phone, ipods, tablets etc.  We are living in a runaway world.  TV is part of that.  Not wishing to be offensive in anyway but.  TV is such a commanding influence.  Because of todays lifestyles etc.  People want everything done for them.  So a program pops up.  The majority have lost the ability to listen, disern and to make their own descions etc.  Not knocking anyone, but.  In the case of Monty.  Let's face it.  He could appear on the screen and talk a complete load of **** and so many would cheer him.  Not for what he has related, but because of the idol factor.  Similar to the pop scene.  Some wonderboy hits the screen, all the girls swoon.  For a long peiod, his records sell well.  Then perhaps in years to come, record collectors might say.  Why the hell did I waste my money on that load of.........

26/05/2014 at 23:27

I like that my dog has paid attention and now follows me around the garden so that I have my very own Nigel 

21 to 40 of 112 messages