London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
22/03/2013 at 13:24

G'day 

Visitors have left and weather so foul I am going to read ne GW magazine and peruse plant/seed catalogues and make lists, that I will probably lose

22/03/2013 at 13:33
Hmmmmm, now are you all just trying to confuse me?? Lol. Posted on 'forkers' thread this morning and now I find you all here. It doesn't take a lot for me to lose my way peeps, but will I need a sat nav when I come back on here later or are most of you going to continue posting on this thread? He he!
Well I'm far from an expert gardener so would like some advice please. I have a greenhouse which is unheated and can't get any electricity to it so was considering buying a paraffin heater. Is there anything I should steer clear of or anything I should be looking for? Is the heating generally just for overnight use or should I be keeping it on continually. Last year was such a disaster for me gardening wise and was hoping to try and get things going as well as poss this year. I have already sown sweet peas and broad beans which are on my windowsill but haven't got much more places indoors. Any ideas/advice welcome.
22/03/2013 at 13:33
Fairygirl wrote (see)

We had a lovely spell of weather here a few weeks back and I even sat outside for a while contemplating the world (like you do) but I swear I just saw a blackbird go by with crampons and an ice axe....

That made me chuckle.

I was just talking about those 2 days Fairygirl. Sat having my lunch, getting a little vitamen D and surveying the Ponderosa. All I seem to do at the moment is view it from my french windows.

22/03/2013 at 13:51

Yes subscribe to GW magazine, Keeps me quiet during the month.

22/03/2013 at 14:23

Tina I wish I had french windows to view from! Missing the views I had from last house as it was semi rural and had a tower which was the remains of an old estate on the hill behind it as well as tons of wildlife - friendly pheasants, weasel living in the bank of the big pond, bats, foxes and all the birds, house before that had french windows and I can't wait to get some when I build my extension in my new little house - they're the dog's doodahs! 

22/03/2013 at 14:34

Postman due soon Brum so keeping fingers crossed but may be a bit late as post being redirected as I've just moved (again!) for the umpteenth time in 3 years- don't ask! Woo2- I think we're all trying to keep ourselves amused in this lousy weather! Can't offer any advicce re greenhouses I'm afraid as I've never had one but I make good soup if that's any use?

22/03/2013 at 14:41

I have a thru room and most of the back wall is windows.  Never pull the curtains. Love it when the sun shines and it makes it to my feet when sitting in 'front' room but also just like being able to see in the garden at all times of the day. Don't have any wildlife, I'm afaid, too built up except for the odd fox. Did have the fright of my life the other day when I looked out and there was a heron on my grass!  Never seen one before.  Thought I was back in Jurassic Park days!  I swear a pidgeon scared him off, but could have been my imagination. 

Hi Woo2. Can't give any advice on gardening or greenhouses I'm afraid.  I just muddle along.

22/03/2013 at 15:43
TinaTurner wrote (see)

I have a thru room and most of the back wall is windows.  Never pull the curtains. Love it when the sun shines and it makes it to my feet when sitting in 'front' room but also just like being able to see in the garden at all times of the day. Don't have any wildlife, I'm afaid, too built up except for the odd fox. Did have the fright of my life the other day when I looked out and there was a heron on my grass!  Never seen one before.  Thought I was back in Jurassic Park days!  I swear a pidgeon scared him off, but could have been my imagination. 

Hi Woo2. Can't give any advice on gardening or greenhouses I'm afraid.  I just muddle along.

Thay are amazing looking birds Tina aren't they? Thay look very strange in flight but quite stunning when they're stationary - they can wait for a very long time for a fish too. 

22/03/2013 at 19:37
Fairy girl and TinaTurner...... No problem re greenhouse advice but thank you for responding!
Fairygirl......love homemade soup, may be asking for recipes soon! I made broccoli and Stilton a few weeks ago, the first time I'd ever made soup I'm ashamed to admit. It was worth the effort, was delicious. The OH was well impressed so told him he could have lots of homemade dishes if I could give up work lol..... Not convinced him yet!
Well I'm off to peruse my GW magazine which arrived today and will be tuned into Monty and Co later. Enjoy your evening.
22/03/2013 at 19:40
Tuna turner, Fairygirl where are you both from? I'm South Glos, lucky enough to live in a small cottage in a village, only been here 3 yrs, lots of work to do inside and out but I'm loving living here.
22/03/2013 at 20:25

I'm in one of the London Boroughs.  Was born in Kent, still live in the same place so, as far as I am concerned, I live in Kent!  Does that sound like gobbledygook?  It's been a long day.

22/03/2013 at 20:30

Bred in Beds, born in Herts, schooled, married and raised my family in Suffolk and ran away to Norfolk with an artist 

22/03/2013 at 20:36

How romantic Dove.   I just wanted to run away.

22/03/2013 at 21:16

Born in London Grew up in Staffordshire, College in S.Wales, back to Staffs. escaped tp Malvern area 3 years ago and no regrets

This lttle type is really straining my eyes now.

22/03/2013 at 21:35
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

Born in London Grew up in Staffordshire, College in S.Wales, back to Staffs. escaped tp Malvern area 3 years ago and no regrets

This lttle type is really straining my eyes now.

Just press control +.  It will enlarge it.

22/03/2013 at 21:59
All dotted about quite nicely! Nice to know where everyone is.
22/03/2013 at 22:32

posts are fine it's the type in the box you type messages in that's miniscule.

22/03/2013 at 22:50

Not if you press control +. I've just done it to type this, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue how many typos I had made! 

22/03/2013 at 23:52
Born in S Wales, uni in Brum, live in Lancashire, work in Yorkshire. And not sure if I have said that all before!
23/03/2013 at 00:12
Brumball wrote (see)

I was born in Birmingham but have been lucky enough to move down to the far west of Cornwall, I am a huge Villa fan and it has been a tough season for me. 

Bob

This will be reported, this is NOT BrumBull, this is a troll, someone who gets their kicks from being dull generally. Brumbull lives in Brum, I know because he's going to visit me, quite why they haven't removed this user I don't know, because they are obviously a troll. However, now that's clear, nice to understand where you guys are from. Oh, by the way, I've never met BrumBull, and don't know him from anywhere else. Daniel can verify this from our private messages. But, glad I know him and will be inviting him around!