London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
05/07/2013 at 11:17

I hate to admit it but I'mnot that keen on strawbs but the girls like them- prefer raspberries! Have never thought of doing strawbs under cover but many people on here do. It's a good way of getting them early.

I often used to make pavlovas for dinners and BBQs etc, and strawbs are great for that as most people like them. Actually, any soft fruit piled on meringue with cream tastes good 

05/07/2013 at 11:24

Morning everybody.

Been busy from early this morn.  Lovely day....getting HOT.  Dare I say it?  Summers here.

Its a rotten lie that I pinched those strawberries.  Those I pinche.......er bought ....were not those I pinch...........anyway, there's no proof. No cameras up.

Hope everyone is fine and enjoying the sumshine

05/07/2013 at 11:30

I've got cameras trained on my tomatoes Verd...just in case you try and sneak in.

Did you send that hedgehog to have a look for anything worth eating?....

Morning Tina. You're to get the hot weather for a few days I think. Relatively pleasant here. So many things I have to do outside - just need to motivate myself. There's birthday cake to eat first though- wish daughter would make a move - those candles won't light themselves.....

05/07/2013 at 13:01

I may indeed have a hedgehog in the area with a backpack.....very aggressive though.  You could hardly call,him spineless

Ok.....I'll get my coat

05/07/2013 at 14:14

Verd - no cake for you....off you go 

Cake's ok...not as good as home made though. I was 'black affronted' ( as we say up here) that she didn't ask for a home made one. 

No idea what that means!  Will ask Andy..oh, he's got a  match today...but he'll be back later to see to his strawbs.

First tomato was nice- a bit watery. Think it was stressed after being blown down on a windy day.Miracle it actually stayed on the bush at all.

05/07/2013 at 14:49

When I saw the Doc about my back I said I'd put on weight and one of the things he said was "NO CAKE" -

05/07/2013 at 15:30

Busy-Lissie, I think you should ask for a second opinion before embarking on such a terrible treatment program 

05/07/2013 at 16:55
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

When I saw the Doc about my back I said I'd put on weight and one of the things he said was "NO CAKE" -

KEF
05/07/2013 at 17:00

BusyL. it's being in UK that's done it, and reading about cakes..don't read anymore  Reading again...why did you fess up? No Mr. Doctor I am the same weight I was before being 27 was the correct answer. .

05/07/2013 at 17:47

Asking someone's weight, especially if they are a little rotund, is worse than asking their age.  I don't think I have been my 'target' weight of 8st.10lb since I was 9. Well, perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I don't believe everyone who is 5'4", small frame should be under 9st.  I think I have heavy bones. Probably have heavy jaw bones and muscles from all the exercise they get.

05/07/2013 at 18:03

KEF, funny that, everytime I'm in the UK I put on 2 or 3 pounds. Love real ale and sticky toffee pudding and banoffee pie. Don't have any of that, or beamy old pubs in France.

KEF
05/07/2013 at 19:53

Tina & Busy L. quite agree  to age and weight. Says me 5'3" and 7 stones...tell porkies as well.

05/07/2013 at 20:41

A cakeaholic. Someone who eats more cake than their doctor!

KEF
05/07/2013 at 21:23

Hi punkdoc, you set a good thread running, any thoughts on the posts ?

05/07/2013 at 22:45

Hi KEF. I was fascinated by the number of us with similar stories an how gardenening has been a massive help too.

It is also interesting about the help people get from the family on here. One of he major problems with depression is the feeling of uselessness and the use of this forum seems to alleviate this problem.

I have thought for some years about the role of gardening in helping depression and even discussed writing a self help type book with some input from ny CBT therapist who, could see a lot of the issues I raised about my garden could be used as analogies in the treatment of severe depression

05/07/2013 at 22:52

When things grow you feel good. One is always planning for the future with gardening, which means there will be a future. Eating your produce with a vase of flowers that you grew on the table is very satisfying.

06/07/2013 at 07:09

First! Just had a lovely walk round the garden. Sunny but still nice and cool. Its the best part of those high summer days that we used to have. first buds on the dahias and a flower on a canna that i grew from seed half inched from a garden visit in Devon a few years ago. Planning and planting today.

have a great day everyone

06/07/2013 at 07:11

Morning all what a lovely morning just in from watering the garden now at tea & toast it's our gardening club all day outing today bus leaves at 9.00 visiting 3 gardens in Ayrshire really looking forward to it great day for it. Two of the gardens sell plants the other one is a village growers club with a big plot set up to help the local villages and schools have a good day all.

KEF
06/07/2013 at 07:48

Good morning all

Everything safe, just done inspection.

Andy you'd better remember your sun cream, enjoy day out.

Puncdoc, I haven't any buds on my dahlias yet.

Up to Mum's early before it's too hot and then my date with patio chair or dare we get the loungers out that are still in their boxes? 

Have a great day all.

06/07/2013 at 08:17

Good morning all. My pulled back muscle is so much better this morning. All I've done in the last few days is pick and freeze raspberries, peas and mangetout peas.

Going to be a scorcher today.