London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
06/07/2013 at 20:44

Verd. I have one of these and you are right it needs to be stand alone. It gives you the chance to grow stuff that might be out of place elsewhere. Mine currently is fairly simple with coreopsis, gallardia, bronze pansies, yellow tree peonie.red lychnis, red heucheras. I also have a "red" phlox which turned out to be pink and jars the senses. Haven't the heart to move it. Don't risk anything which isn't truly HOT.

Go for it

KEF
06/07/2013 at 20:55

Sorry but some things take priority..NO PORK CRACKLING IN FRANCE..chuck 'em out of EU, say I.

06/07/2013 at 20:59

We can't do that KEF, who else would we annoy, after 1000 years of practice!!!

KEF
06/07/2013 at 21:03

Might be able to think of some Woody. Hope you've had a good day out. Hope I can trust you to not have done a Verdun and scoffed all day. Soz if you on a diet Verd.

06/07/2013 at 21:21

Thanks woody..will take all on board.  And woody, aren't you ashamed to have eaten so much.  No doubt you will eat as much tomorrow.  Seriously, you should keep a diary of your visits, your views, etc and publish it

06/07/2013 at 23:28

Verd. I have one of these and you are right it needs to be stand alone. It gives you the chance to grow stuff that might be out of place elsewhere. Mine currently is fairly simple with coreopsis, gallardia, bronze pansies, yellow tree peonie.red lychnis, red heucheras. I also have a "red" phlox which turned out to be pink and jars the senses. Haven't the heart to move it. Don't risk anything which isn't truly HOT.

Go for it

06/07/2013 at 23:28

We can't do that KEF, who else would we annoy, after 1000 years of practice!!!

06/07/2013 at 23:36

My posts keep reappearing!!

07/07/2013 at 06:44

Morning all lovely morning here had a great day yesterday first garden was a stunner a farmhouse with a 2 acre garden ladies husband died suddenly2 years ago so is now selling the farm it has 150 acre. It was put on the market on a Tuesday and sold on the Wednesday just paperwork to sign been in the farm 50 years and it's breaking her heart to leave but needs to down size. Sad thing is the young couple that is buying are not interested in gardening need the ground for farming think that is hurting her that the garden after all those years of hard work it will go downhill. Second visit was a community project which was a polluted site the council wanted to concrete over but the community got together and have made it into mini allotment £50 a year gets you an outside and inside raised bed 3 large polytunnels they have over 100 members at present all grow mostly veg. Third garden was a big house with large garden which over 7 years has been transformed from a wilderness into a lovely garden all done by them-self which opens to the public from today. Must say the first garden was my kind of garden in the way it was layed out and the flowers it had in it that means everything nice coves that where off the grass lawn which itself was stunning green & lush. Well now back to real garden my own garden which is my paradise for working in have a good day all come on Andy lets do it for Brittan today.

KEF
07/07/2013 at 07:31

Morning all.

Andy sounded like a really good day out, that poor lady in first garden. 

Lovely day already, the sun woke me up, done a quick inspection and all well. Lots of poppies opening, they make me smile, and my roses looking lovely, and perfume from the carnations is wonderful. Off to drink my cuppa outside, have a good day all. 

07/07/2013 at 07:32

Morning, forkers. Those gardens sound fascinating, Andy. We've been working so hard in ours that we've neglected open gardens this year, sadly. Next year, hopefully, it will be just maintenance for a while, so we can do other things. Don't work too hard today!

Having said that, we're off again in our caravan next week! We work like mad for three weeks and then crash out for a week on holiday somewhere. Not a bad life, really!

Was looking at the front garden yesterday, thinking how lovely it looks with soft shades of  pink and blue and the occasional splash of yellow to give it life. It is all so transient that one feels one wants to capture it, in memory and in photographs.

Church this morning and then - now i've been made a little envious - maybe I'll have a look whether there are open gardens in our area. Have a good day, everyone.

07/07/2013 at 07:53

Good morning all, inspection done in jimjams and bare feet this morning  This morning will be busy with Tartar hordes arriving at midday and I want to get everything prepped before they arrive.  Hedgehogs have pooped all over they terrace again, so the Under Gardener will have to sweep it again!   

07/07/2013 at 08:03

Glorious morning here.  Sun now and sun in the forecast for at least the week to come

Overnight the remaining Regale lilies have opened so now they're all out.  More dahlias have opened out too.  Another opened overnight is my Dierama Guinevere.....a lovely white angels fishing rod. Highly recommend this.

Wont be gardening weather....too hot.....

Oh, good morning forkers

07/07/2013 at 08:11

Oooh how gorgeous Verdun  

I was hoping my lilies Rio Negro would have opened in time for today's BBQ, but they haven't - and the spectacular clematis HF Young has at last given in to the heat and dropped it's petals - so the only Wow! in the garden today will be the massed effect of the planting on the Shady Bank among which the delphinium Dark Knight is looking splendid and the David Austin rosa Mayfllower is flowering it's socks off.  I must say that since I gave them a good watering yesterday, the hostas under the ash tree (a group of three Sum & Substance) are looking jolly good too 

Mind you the massed ranks of huge beefsteak tomato plants in their pots on the terrace look fantastic too, and the fat fig on my new fig tree will be a talking point

07/07/2013 at 08:15

Morning dove. Watch out that the birds don't get that fig.  As soon as WE think they are ripe the birds already have decided that and taken them

07/07/2013 at 08:24

Thanks for the warning Verdun - the fig is just outside the studio which has big glass slidey doors out onto the terrace - The Under Gardener (really a painter in disguise) will be instructed to fend off the blackbirds!

07/07/2013 at 08:38

Morning all. Sounds like everyone has a good day planned. Andy the gardens sounded lovely. Sad when someone has to leave something they've loved for a long time especially when the new owners don't really understand what it's  meant. A lesson for us all in there perhaps?

That Dierama sounds lovely Verd. Would like one of those.

My hedgehog didn't come again last night. 

I don't know, you do your best for them , and are they grateful? Are they ****...you pick uo after them and you feed them and...oh no- that's the children. 

Hope today goes well Dove. Sun to shine everywhere.

Is it wrong for me to want rain later so I won't feel guilty if I watch Andy?

07/07/2013 at 10:12

Morning all.  Baking hot already, so will be keeping cool again today.  At least it's a choice not to go outside rather than it be raining, although some rain overnight would be good for the garden.

FG, make sure you have some valium at your side for this afternoon.  Don't want you keeling over.

Enjoy your day all.

07/07/2013 at 10:30

Don't think my heart can take it Tina  I will have the phone nearby in case I need to dial 999!

Off to get screws etc. and get something done before the match.

Have a good day everyone. Sunscreen and shades if you go out!

07/07/2013 at 10:52

Earlier when only very hot, rather than b....y hot, I refreshed the display by the front door. Pansies and violas removed to be chopped back and kept in secret out of the way place, and replaced by massed ranks of Gazanias... from cool to HOT,HOT,HOT.

read papers in garden, with strong coffe and perfume from roses and Philadelphus. Off to lunch and water gardens soon.....