London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
06/09/2013 at 11:37

Raining persistently here. I have done some vacuuming and OH headphone lead went up the dyson. Dyson OK but I think the headphones have had it. Sprayed carpet cleaner and waiting for it to dry. Cleaned cooker.  Put washer on. Put Dishwasher on. Washed pans. At this rate I will turn into  a domestic goddess. (Not)

I've put the summer sandals away.

Yesterday,  I got the dried off  red onions into the garage, but the Kelsae have  not died down enough. I dug up some more potatoes. Of course I stuck the fork through the one that weighed 1lb 10oz.  It will make mash to go with sausages tonight. OH is on his way back from Glasgow. Despite being in a decent hotel, he is complaining at the lack of fresh fruit and veg. the only fruit at breakfast was tinned peaches.   I suspect by next week he will be complaing about another bucket of beans, although he never seems to go off apple crumble and custard.

06/09/2013 at 13:03
Tinned peaches yum (not). Sandals still out here, just not on feet today, as convinced this is just a temporary blip.
Mad week of work over, with reasonably successful conclusion. Can now start looking forward to my weekend dose of GW - except is cancelled. Spending my lunch hour in GC to unwind. On a search for some Monch!!
06/09/2013 at 13:56

Maud, don't get me started or I will write a book.  Only live a short distance from where I was born so am surrounded by childhood memories.  Few years back, whilst out with my daughter, she wanted to see what had happened to the bungalow where I was born and my parents lived until they passed away.  People I sold to were in the front garden so I introduced myself and we were invited in.  Not sure whether that was a good or bad thing as it was no longer how I remembered it and I felt a bit sad but was able to move on as I still referred to it as 'home'. See lots of people I've known since the year dot and friends of my brother too. 

Temperature's dropped but still wearing my sandels. Intend doing so till my toes get frostbite.

06/09/2013 at 16:49

Still needing sunhats here TT

I went back to where my Grandparents lived,when my younger brother and I were both celebrating our1st Christmas ,they planted the Christmas trees out in the garden,they stayed there for over 50 years,when we visited they had gone,quite upsetting,wish I had,nt gone back.

07/09/2013 at 07:01

Oh gilly that is a shame they cut them down. I lost someone and planted a cherry tree in their memory when I went back to the house it had gone and I was v upset it even had a memory plaque on it... Well morning peeps its raining here already lo has had me up since 5.30!!! Thanks for that baby girl!! Gonna take a mooch round the crocus sale this morning looking for thilactrum, ferns and wild swan if I can get some.... The anenome were all separated at the last sale so we shall see.... it was cold last night I'm yet to inspect the garden hope the newly planted things aren't affected...

07/09/2013 at 07:18

Good morning all   Sorry Stacey, we've got bright sunshine and blue skies over here 

07/09/2013 at 07:26

Dove!!!

07/09/2013 at 07:29

I've got to dash into the city first thing this morning, so I'm hoping that this weather is going to hold so I can make good use of it this afternoon.  

The lovage in the herb garden needs cutting down (it's about 9 ft tall) before it seeds everywhere, and there's some pricking out and potting on to be done 

07/09/2013 at 07:34

Goog morning all, I've not been on for a while - very busy! A friend has barn owls living in her barn thing and she said that they have not produced any chicks this year and it's a sign that it's going to be a hard winter. Anyone heard that before? It's gone cold here and chucking it down!

07/09/2013 at 07:34

Good morning!

07/09/2013 at 07:37

Haisie yes I have heard that I don't mind bad winters it at least feels like we have 4 distinct seasons...

07/09/2013 at 07:42

Ah, that's really interesting isn't it. i too like winter and snow and ice.. Thanks Stacey.

07/09/2013 at 07:49

The other thing is it has been quite a good year for fruit trees my mum reckons when that happens its going to be a hard winter.... Plus the swifts are still in the nest!!!!! But then a cording to my oh my mother is a witch lol mmmmmmm maybe I got his meaning wrong lmao

07/09/2013 at 07:53

Your mother's a witch? Can she get rid of curses cus someone put one on me a few years ago!

07/09/2013 at 08:00
Haisie wrote (see)

Goog morning all, I've not been on for a while - very busy! A friend has barn owls living in her barn thing and she said that they have not produced any chicks this year and it's a sign that it's going to be a hard winter. Anyone heard that before? It's gone cold here and chucking it down!

I think it's more likely to be a sign that last winter was a long and very hard one, the mice and voles that the barn owls feed on were under the snow and the barn owls couldn't fine them - I saw hungry barn owls hunting during broad daylight over snow-covered fields because they were so hungry.  Many barn-owls only just made it through the winter, (and some didn't make it at all)  they will not have been in any fit condition to breed and probably the females didn't produce eggs or would not have been able to sustain long periods of sitting on the eggs without feeding.  

The problem would have been made worse by the fact that the previous year was so wet that many small mammals drowned, so there was less food about for the barn owls anyway.

Hopefully a much better summer this year will have helped return the numbers of small mammals to a healthier position, and fingers crossed this winter will be easier for the birds.

http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/infopage.html?Id=5

07/09/2013 at 08:05

Wow, thanks for that reply Dove. So interesting.

07/09/2013 at 08:19

Morning everybody

Interesting info there Dove.  Out of my depth but learning all the time.

What a change in the weather.  Falmouth, 10 miles away, was covered in freak hailstorm yesterday turning landscape white.  Here lots of rain and cooler.  Flooding in many areas too.  Forecast though is good.

07/09/2013 at 08:24

The sky here is wall to wall bright blue, not a white fluffy to be seen, and the sun is so bright I'll need  to go into the city - sorry folks 

07/09/2013 at 08:29

Well, I just saw some blue sky so there dove...oh no, it's gone again.

07/09/2013 at 08:37

I have wall to wall blue sky as well Dove just about to cut grass and clear some ivy up that was cut down on Wednesday.

James