London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
10/09/2013 at 06:27

Morning all.... It's dark  it's wetand cold...... It's coming....... Aarrrggghhhh 

10/09/2013 at 06:32

Morning Stacey - remember the "A" word must be avoided at all costs.

Too horrible out there to go and inspect my GH - and was home late last night so didin't do it then either.  By the time I go out this evening I am sure there will be so many red tomatoes that I will need a bucket to harvest them all. (can we have a flying pig smiley please !)

10/09/2013 at 06:34

Good morning Stacey and Chicky - you beat me to it,  was just making another coffee - anyone want one? 

The first wet and windy morning of the A..................................!!! Shoes, socks and waterproof jacket needed this morning 

10/09/2013 at 07:54

Morning all,

Sorry......... its beautiful here today,blue skies and sunshine ,we did have rain yesterday morning though,but the afternoon was sunny and warm,so I picked the reamainder of the Victoria Plums,............too many to eat so will be making crumble later

10/09/2013 at 08:12

Mornin' all  Thought I saw some blue sky earlier, now I'm not so sure  I hope tha those who can get in the garden today have a good one, and those that have to go to work can make it through! 

Nice to see you Fairy, missed you and your wit 

10/09/2013 at 08:30

Well after the horrid aut.... Whoops late summer morning ( nearly chicky!) the sky is blue and it actually looks like quite a nice day as I sit at my office desk nose pressed against the window looking at a fully ladened apple tree by the train tracks so close yet so far ( can't get to them due to a massive fence/garage and wall!) did someone say coffee?????? Mmmmmmmmmm need another methinks 

10/09/2013 at 09:09

Good morning FORKERS

Lovely morning here.  

My front lawn ....to all intents and purposes looks good.....  Soft, green even.  But I increasingly am aware  that it needs some rough treatment.  Parts of it are not anchored securely and vigorous  raking and scarifying will pull up strips of grass.  So I'm inclined to dig it all over and reseed.  I tend to jump in and make a start once a notion hits me so I prob will get some glyphosate and spray lawn ASAP.

Shame cos front garden is looking pretty good and the lawn sets it off.  A week of turning and levelling, two weeks before germination means at least 3 weeks of bare soil covering over 150 sq metres.

Ah well!  I could simply raise cut and forget it......but I will have to do it next year!

10/09/2013 at 09:09

Hmmm feeling grumpy. I was woken up by a man wanting to read my meters. Why.? I never get my meters read. I have to do it myself and post it online. So why FGS does someone come at the crack of dawn for the first time in 10 years, and sound like hes a bailiff come to knock the door down.?

weather looks OK here. But it did yesterday. i had a line of washing out, and just as it was nearly dry, we had a sudden downpour. Of course I didn't notice until too late.

Time for coffee.

11/09/2013 at 06:26

Morning all,

Starting to make my weekend garden "to-do" list in my head (normally something that starts on a Weds, in hopeful anticipation of the weekend).  No.1 at the moment is to tame a vinca which seems intent on smothering the rest of the bed.  Not got there yet, but the hellebores will soon be under threat.

Verdun - whilst I am there, should I be chopping leaves off my hellebores now ?? They all look nice and healthy, and normally I would leave it til early January, but I read earlier in the week that you were cutting yours back now ..... and you are a bit of a guru on the hellebore front (well, all fronts really).  High praise for this early in the morning

11/09/2013 at 06:30

Good morning all   I've switched the heating on - does that mean it's A............???

It was flippin' cold first thing this morning - thought I'd warm the bathroom up before showering 

Another coffee needed .............

11/09/2013 at 07:16

Morning chicky and dove.... Heating on at mine as well and I don't normally put it on till October.... Lets hope for one more week of nice weather ( not this week obviously) chicky I was reading about your hellebores I am also interested in that reply didnt know you had to do that with them I just usually chop the manky leaves off in jan.... Come on verdun guru wake up!! The garden this morning was bathe'd in an almost eerie orange light that only comes with A... I sat and listened to the birds chirping lol my chickens came out and I got a squawk of "what are you doing here..." My seeds from seed swap ( mostly foxgloves) are coming up a treat I also noticed that an allium seed I planted after seeing a v nice compact clump in a pub ( seed in pocket!) is coming up so a pre treatment of bold and a 40• wash did it no harm at all.... Well best I get on and do some work laters all have a great day..... Steaming coffee calling 

11/09/2013 at 07:34

Morning all,

Dull this morning,but not cold,sorry for you folks that need the heating on already.

I am interested in Verduns answer to your helebore question as well Chicky.if only he would wake up ,it is after 7.30 .

Tomatoes are coming to an end now,may be able to make one more batch of  tomato chilli sauce for the freezer.The remainder of the plums are safely tucked up in a crumble and some left out for eating.

Have a good day all.

11/09/2013 at 07:53

Oooo gilly that sounds delicious... My plum tree is only 2 now so didn't get enough of a yield this year so gonna have to buy plums for my plum russett mincemeat for Xmas!!!

11/09/2013 at 08:02

Plum russett mincemeat sounds interesting Stacey,how do you make it?

11/09/2013 at 08:11

WAKE UP VERDUN! It's time for school 

i too need the answer to the helibore question 

Grey and cold here, and thinking of the weekend too as we hit half way through the working week.

11/09/2013 at 09:32

I think Verdun is scared to admit that even here in Cornwall it is getting a bit A*******l.

I thought we gardeners could be winding down now but there seems to be more to do than ever. The dahlias and cosmos are still flowering their socks off so I'm deadheading dayly to keep them going as long as possible.

I'm thrilled to find buds coming on the cobaeas that I sowed earlier this year so I hope the weather doesn't turn too cold so they can open. Some posted that they wouldn't grow them again  as they never flowered so fingers crossed.

One of my chickens is broody and my grandson has brought six fertile duck eggs for her. She is going to get a shock if they hatch. It takes 28 days so she is going to have a long wait. She is sitting tight and I have to lift her off the nest to feed and drink.

I hope Verdun arrives soon with his advice. He even got me into planting two helebores this year.

11/09/2013 at 09:40

It's not A.......! yet as I am off to see cricket today, which if you look in the dictionary is described as a summer game played by gentlemen. Well something like that anyway

11/09/2013 at 09:44

I think cricket finished last weekend in Cornwall. Have a good day wonderboy.

11/09/2013 at 09:54

Yes I have watched Cornwall play twice this year and they won on both occasions in unpromising circumstances. I must be their lucky mascot.

11/09/2013 at 10:10

Gillyl.... Will send you recepie tonight when I get home it's soooo delicious and I am not a mincemeat fan.....pottie pam dunk the chickena bum in cold water it works for my light Sussex