London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
18/09/2013 at 08:00

FG, they're a cross between pansies and violas, and have the best traits of both, larger flowers than a viola, but they will cope with the worst the winter can throw at them, and as soon as the snow has cleared they're blooming their socks off again, and have a gorgeous scent.  They come in a wide range of colours,( including the ones with faces) - I tend to go for one of the blue mixes, look wonderful all stuffed in together in a pot   I get them from Notcutts at this time of year  

18/09/2013 at 08:02

Morning all  Misread what you wrote and thought you were planting me! That'll teach me not to wear my glasses 

Hope you all have a good garden today.

18/09/2013 at 08:07

They sound lovely Dove. I  plant violas rather than pansies because they get decimated by the wind up here unless they're well sheltered. I'll keep a look out for those though!

If you grow well in a pot Panda- watch out 

18/09/2013 at 08:10

Dove, just read about your namesake aquilegia on different thread , wow. a plant named after you - more fame on the forum.

18/09/2013 at 08:11

Morning,folks. Sun is coming out now.  Think it will be nice today.  All this talk,of bulb planting makes me want to get some.  Not too keen on winter pansies etc though.  Wallflowers and stocks give so much colour and reliably so. Pansies, violas, etc bit hit n miss for me.  Panolas sound good though.

18/09/2013 at 08:19

Suns put hurrah I'm going to london today boo and I have somehow thrown my back out ow.....

18/09/2013 at 08:20

Whoops sorry morning all ...

18/09/2013 at 08:26

Morning all,

Please send the sun up from Cornwall Verdun,it seems to have got stuck over Devon somewhere so give it a push please   ............

We have had some really bad weather this week,looking forward to the promised warm spell next week.

18/09/2013 at 08:27

Now Stacey.......lots of info there in one short sentence.  You must be a texting expert. Lol.  Morning 

18/09/2013 at 08:46

Verd you knows it !

18/09/2013 at 08:56
On a train too Stacey, bound for Oxford Circus today. Go carefully and try and give your back a rest.
Panola sounds like something you should have for breakfast but will keep my eyes out for them - my violas too an age to get started this spring , although they made up for it in summer flower power.
18/09/2013 at 08:58
Gilly - sun must have skipped Devon and headed straight for the home counties - its shining here now
18/09/2013 at 09:08

Me too chicky!!!!! Bloomsbury street mmmm wonder if we are on the same one!!!!!  

18/09/2013 at 09:09

I'm sat by the loo in the 2nd carriage groaning at every lump and bump!! N

18/09/2013 at 09:12

Lol now I'm playing spot the chicky!!! do you have a black and white scarf on?

18/09/2013 at 10:40

Morning each, sun now making fleeting appearences after earlier drizzle. Was hoping to start scarifying today but not sure if I want to do it on wet lawns.

Agree with you Mrs.G about impact of a single bulb type in a pot. However it works also with 2 contrasting types, say orange and purple tulips, as long as they have the same flowering time. Also cram them in for maximum effect. Nowt worse than a few sorry stragglers trying to put on a show. As I have said before I go to Malvern each      A***** to pick from the fantastic range on offer there. I grow my bulbs in pots as annuals in that I replace them each year with new combinations. This year's pots and bulbs from last spring are being left to have one more go, out of sight around the back of my garage , purely for cutting. Not expecting overmuch but every flower will be a bonus.  I will report in the spring if this is worth doing. Also the bulbs fromthe previous year were planted out into a raised bed in the vegetable garden and it will be interesting to see if they have any flower power left.

Am hoping to find Abu Hassan tulip ... thought I had found it last year but it turned out to be something similar, but definitely not AH.

18/09/2013 at 11:25

Abu Hassan looks gorgeous Woody. When I moved, in my garden was a mass of daffodils, most unfortunately damaged and lost when we did our transformation. I've saved or retrieved some but dont expect much from them. I'm interested to see how my bulb pots do next year (spring 2015!) as I'm also intending to move them out of sight once finished and bring out the year after. Tulips in them so could be hit and miss (including this spring as a bit early potting them up).

For a few years I've admired daffodil lined path in a communal area nearby. So I'll try that this year, when I can muster up some more turf lifting. The other side of the path is slate so I'll just line the grass side, ooo maybe a pretty alpine in the slate? Any suggestions? 

Just back from ALDI with my 30 mixed dafs for £1.39 and a lovely clematis 'ernest markham' for £1.79. It a velvety crimson in late Summer.

I'm looking forward to  the new bed around the apple tree establishing - bulbs for spring, a self seeded foxglove, a jasmine (no idea which one, when it will flower , or if it's white or yellow) the new Ernest M in late summer, all covered over with camomile lawn. Big happy sigh.

18/09/2013 at 11:48

How about erigeron a plant with small daisy flowers all summer long that seeds around into my gravel drive where there is absolutely NO soil. Small sedums, echiveras and saxifrages also. Alpines are my new love but I am still learning and there is lots I don't yet know. Growing them in slate would look fantastic.

18/09/2013 at 12:09

Yes yes yes, sedums and alpines. Not had chance to look the ones mentioned up yet. For this part of the project I will need neat and tidy plants, I've got something already which I can move/ split but pink flowers. Would like flowers to complement dafs in spring really, white, fellow, orange.

18/09/2013 at 17:23

We have sun

Still very windy,lots of conference pears on the ground,have been out picking them up,and will stew and freeze any damaged ones,also good with blackberries in a crumble