London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
KEF
20/09/2013 at 10:39

Good Morning all. Had 18 days in the south of Crete.

Left temperatures of 35C at 10pm and arrived home in the night to 8C, had a quick look outside ( as you do ) and amazed at all the plants, well it is rather barren where we've been. In daylight amazed isn't the word I used.

So best get socks & coat on for a second day ( only 10C today ) and continue gathering, deadheading, cutting etc...  

Looking like the bean and tomato diet is about to start

Hope all are okay. Catch you later.

20/09/2013 at 12:00

KEF, I hope you had as good a time as we had in Venice, any photos? Our bean and tomato diet has already started! When we looked in the spare fridge on Thursday to put stuff for the Church charity BBQ (Sat) we found it was full to the gunnels of tomatoes and beans picked by the house sitter! There are now bags of tomato sauce and frozen beans in the freezer.

20/09/2013 at 12:36

Hello all!  

I'd just like to introduce myself.  Just joined this morning after reading lots.  I'm a relatively newly qualified garden designer, just starting up in practice whilst working full-time (working from home today - coffee breaks in the garden, bliss!)

What's happening in my garden at mo?  New raised beds have been very productive in their first few months - harvesting several varieties of toms, cucumber coming out of my ears, mixed salad & dwarf beans.  Pumpkins & spring cabbage coming on well - not so sure about the caulis which made a very good feast for the White Cabbages before I got the net to them (literally, deforested over the space of a weekend, but still seem to be trying their best).  Very excited to see shoots on new lawn appearing this morning.

Can't wait til 530 when I can get out there with the secateurs for some much needed pruning.

So that's all for now.  Have a lovely day!

20/09/2013 at 12:46

Hi mambomouse, welcome. Hope you enjoy the forum, sounds like you'll be able to give us all some advice too.

20/09/2013 at 12:48

There seems to be some very knowledgeable peeps on here already, but I'll do my best!  Thanks Mrs Garden.

20/09/2013 at 12:58

Welcome MamboMouse

We'll see if we can find some treatment for your ear affliction - sounds painful 

We find cake is good for most things

20/09/2013 at 13:57

Does that mean you've made one Dove?? 

Welcome MMouse 

Went to Gc and managed not to buy any plants or bulbs but did buy bird food and also membrane for the path. There were a few bargains I might go back and get - things the nursery doesn't have at the moment, but the bulb selection was poor so I've just been online - planning for the ones I want to order...

Best go now and start shifting slabs. 

20/09/2013 at 14:00
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Welcome MamboMouse

We'll see if we can find some treatment for your ear affliction - sounds painful 

My dad used to tell me that if I swallowed cherry stones I'd get a cherry tree coming out of my ear. Does that happen with cucmbers as well? He didn't mention those

20/09/2013 at 14:07
Welcome back KEF - glad you had a lovely time. My garden was a disaster zone til last weekend, but a couple of hours deadheading and cutting back soon brightened it back up - i'm sure you will find the same.

Welcome mmouse - your garden sounds lovely - pics please ! . Don't normally see me on here in the middle of the day but i am having lunch in a cafe - office beckons again soon.

Fairy - what bulbs are you planning ? My pots this year will be mix of ballade ( saw at chelsea and was smitten) and white triumphator. Plus some feb gold daffa for a bed that the deer can get too.
20/09/2013 at 14:10

Cucumbers, cherries, all sounds painful 

Welcome Mambomouse 

Had an exciting email today, I requested a second brown bin (for garden waste) and the council confirmed that they will deliver it in a week! Soon I can start chopping and pruning to my hearts content! 

20/09/2013 at 14:44

This one's for Woodgreen Wonderboy when he's done my lawns .... wonder where he's got to 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31371.jpg?width=317&height=350&mode=max

I'll make cakes for the rest of us tomorrow - promise 

20/09/2013 at 15:21

I am definitely on my way after seeing that... I can resist everything except temptation. WOW

5 hour shift on scarification detail. Finished lawn to rear of house. Went criss-cross every which way and now looks much better, not at all tatty. Don't you just have the suspicion though that, if you started again, you would rake out just as much again?

Will try to do front lawns on Monday. At this moment I am showered, shattered and sitting (oops...nearly) and wondering if it is too late to use the summer lawn feed I already have, or whether I need to buy Autumn feed instead. Info. on bags says I can use up to end of this month. Has anyone else used summer feed so close to the wire?

Anyway, welcome MMouse... and don't forget to switch to Evening thread later or you may have to stay in after school. 

KEF
20/09/2013 at 15:22

Garden view from the Cretan house we stayed in.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31377.jpg?width=201&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31378.jpg?width=716&height=350&mode=max

I managed to resist deadheading the Geraniums, daren't touch them as even the weeds on the path were treasured.

KEF
20/09/2013 at 15:28

Some nice herbs in this garden, we stayed 2 nights down at the beach.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31379.jpg?width=201&height=350&mode=max

20/09/2013 at 15:43
Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)
5 hour shift on scarification detail. Finished lawn to rear of house. Went criss-cross every which way and now looks much better, not at all tatty. Don't you just have the suspicion though that, if you started again, you would rake out just as much again? Will try to do front lawns on Monday. At this moment I am showered, shattered and sitting  

Just think how much all that exercise would cost you in the gym 

20/09/2013 at 15:44

Hmm, didn't mean to make Woody bold 

20/09/2013 at 15:51

How does someone go about getting some of that cake Dovefromabove?  Think it would do wonders for my ear affliction (not to mention the sight problem - can't see for tomatoes!).

20/09/2013 at 15:52

bold... who me?

20/09/2013 at 17:02
MamboMouse wrote (see)

How does someone go about getting some of that cake Dovefromabove?  Think it would do wonders for my ear affliction (not to mention the sight problem - can't see for tomatoes!).

I'm having problems seeing over the top of the tomato mountain here too!

And as for the cake, sorry, that one's earmarked  for Woody - but there will be cake tomorrow - OH came home with duck eggs so there'll be a sponge (with jam and cream) and possibly chocolate brownies, and perhaps some scones, maybe a Peach and Yoghurt cake and if there's time a proper boiled fruitcake - or should I make gingercake?  

And we've lots of eggs so a bacon and egg flan - shall I make sausage rolls as well?  

I'll only have time to do all that because Woody's scarifying my lawn 

20/09/2013 at 17:24

My mincemeat is bottled,(twice- first time I forgot to mix the alcohol in) and fruit cakes in the oven, and kitchen looking like a bombs hit it.